Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Intercooler Idea

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Intercooler Idea

Not sure if it would work but

how come no one has invented an intercooler you can fill up with liquid
such as Ice water, or chilled alcohol, etc

and you can drain it when your done.

for daily driving im not sure about, but for racing it would for sure help out a ton for cooler air.

Opinions?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its like people who have a reservoir next to intake where they fill with dried ice... havent seen that?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 05:17 PM

it's called a water to air intercooler, welcome to the party. you're late. also, they aren't efficient enough for a DD.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 05:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by 06ebevo
it's called a water to air intercooler, welcome to the party. you're late. also, they aren't efficient enough for a DD.
Ahhh, the sad slap of reality.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm hoping for a real answer I guess no one knows then

Yes I figured it would not be effiecient for dd
Old Nov 4, 2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by steven121
Hmmm hoping for a real answer I guess no one knows then

Yes I figured it would not be effiecient for dd
my answer was not a real answer? a water to air IC is exactly what you described. it isn't efficient enough for DD purposes because 1) ice melts, hope you have a freezer in your trunk. 2) although the heat exchange rate is greater with water it's more prone to heat soak because as stated you won't be draining and replacing the ice every few miles. what did I miss?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 05:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Water/air intercoolers are use more frequently on supercharged DD applications. They are seldom used in turbo DD applications. Drag racers do use ice boxes or nitrous cooled I/C pipes on charged applications but they aren't suitable for DD use.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

my answer was not a real answer? a water to air IC is exactly what you described. it isn't efficient enough for DD purposes because 1) ice melts, hope you have a freezer in your trunk. 2) although the heat exchange rate is greater with water it's more prone to heat soak because as stated you won't be draining and replacing the ice every few miles. what did I miss?
An explanation thats more in detail this is what i was looking for thumbs up bro!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by terror rising
Water/air intercoolers are use more frequently on supercharged DD applications. They are seldom used in turbo DD applications. Drag racers do use ice boxes or nitrous cooled I/C pipes on charged applications but they aren't suitable for DD use.
Thank you sir
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:20 AM

Because of the heat soak issue, most people use a spray system to spray CO2, water, or nitrous on the intercooler. This is mostly done for track use where a manual spray is done before a run and a WOT switch is used to activate the sprayer during the run.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You actually missed quite a bit.

AW intercoolers are actually quite common in DD applications because they are actually MORE efficient than AA intercoolers, and packaging is fantastic. The trade off is weight.

Factory AW intercoolers on TURBOCHARGED vehicles include:
celica ST185RC
celica ST205
Liberty RS
Cyclone/Typhoon

Even without ice, with a properly designed air to water intercooler system, you can get amazingly high intercooler efficiencies with AW intercoolers (even over time, and even on a roadcourse while racing) as the front mount heat exchanger is always chilling the water, while the intercooler is only being utilized while under boost and the charge air is heating the coolant.

AW intercoolers are used quite extensively in drag racing applications where you can use a glycol/water/ice mixture in the intercooler system (with only a resevoir and the intercooler) and get intercooler efficiencies of over 100%!

They are not used on the evo, because the typical Evo Owner is overly obsessed with weight.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 06:39 PM

We also lack the engine bay space to keep a good sized reservoir away from heat soak.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Many factory intercooler systems don't even use a resevoir. They just use the volume of the water in the intercooler, lines and heat exchanger to add volume to the system.

When I design an AW intercooler system, I always evaluate the use of the car, the volume of the system, and the pumping rates to determine if it's needed. And if it is, how big of a resevoir to use.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 04:38 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used a water sprayer filled with ice on hot summer days at autox. Other then that, its kinda useless. The VIII came with an i/c sprayer system.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
^Well there you have it. Find a spot in your engine bay for Chu to hang out and he'll spray water on your intercooler. Boom problem solved

Quick Reply: Intercooler Idea