Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ice car club race event

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ice car club race event

Hello everyone

So I will try and make it thread as short as possible . If you have any questions please feel free to PM or contact me by phone.

As of right now I am speaking with multiple race tracks In several states in or around Maryland. My goal is to secure a location that people from the EVOM community can come race, tune and test our cars as well as drag racing and time attack.

The PROS- Most of the tracks I have spoken with are willing to do a private rental.

The CONS- I have not been given an officall direct quote from anyone however I am told the amount of money required to rent the track for private use depends on the following factors.

1. How long we will race for

2. How many people will be attending

3. Will their be spectators or just race personel

I have been told worst case sceniro I would cost upwards or 2 or 3 thousand dollars to open a track use it for 8 hours and staff the personel needed to run the event.

WHAT THIS MEANS TO US - If the track cost $3000.00 and 150 people attend that comes to 20.00 dollars per person

So as you all can see this is a very low cost for what we are asking.

I would like to see how many people would like to do something like this. It gives people a great chance to have fun, network and do something we all love.

If it gets to the point their is more people who want to do it than I realized we may just turn it into an all out car show + race event.

Keep in mind that depending on what the track says and where it is I am quite sure we would have to pay ahead of time or make a deposit.

As far as the logistics on how that will work we will figure it out when the time comes. I ask that anyone who has a desire to make this happen please be serious. This kind of event will only work if all who say they will do it actually show up.

I am open to any and all help to make this happen. I am looking at making this happen the first week of April 2014 . Anyone who wants to give suggestions or ideas or if you have does this before please CHIME IN
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I mean no disrespect….. l like what you're trying to do but there's a lot of details that you need to work out first so you don't get yourself burned. If you’ve got this all worked out great but just in case…. A lot of the cost for track days are the organizers covering their butts more than putting $ in their pockets.
I recently had some friends come to me about renting a local track with them, since I'm the only one that has track experience I said no. Not until they do some HPDE or racing school it'd be too dangerous for everyone. And I know all these guys. Say someone goes off the track and hits a barrier the track is charging you for it.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

They are all bonded and insured tracks. Any place I have ever been they have to be. I have been to the local track down the street from my house countless times. Not one single time have I ever met anyone who has been to racing school or had any actual race experience.
They are all locals who come and compete first time out. As long as your car meets safety requirements and you pay the fee you can race on their track.

What I am talking about doing is controlled by the track and the only things allowed there are that in which the same events they hold every weekend for anyone else.

When you go to the track and you break something yes it is your fault. If you race on the road and break something or hit somebody it is your fault. No matter what the case if it is on the track or off it will still be the racers fault. That is just the name of the game

That is the same chance we all take when we dyno our cars or do a pull on a highway with someone or drag race at a local track. At least this way it is in a professional controlled enviroment run by the people and staff at the track who do this type of stuff all year around.

As I said before I am only talking about doing things the all the other average public people do at any other night at the tracks every weekend .

Also most of the tracks I have spoken with make you sign a hold harmless agreement for each person for private events. Yes you are correct the money you pay them is to cover their butts if something happens but his is no different than any other race night throughout the year. Thank you for your input though
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't talking about the track itself being covered. I was talking about you covering you being the organizer. Sounds like you've got it under control
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Oh ok I gotcha man. Thanks for the lookout. Yea according to the tracks I have spoken to even with private rental the same rules apply at all times open to public or not. The reason I want to do a Private rental is because it would give us members a chance to not be bothered by the public but still get to do all the events they offer at those tracks and far far less people.

Private rental seems to be the way to go. I have spent hours waiting in line just for a chance to make one pass on a public night. Would be nice to do 3 or 4 passes per person
Old Nov 19, 2013, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Just to update anyone watching. Still waiting for schedules and numbers from the tracks. We have to get more people who want to do this otherwise there is no way we will be able to rent a whole track with just a few people.

I really hope summit point calls me back soon. That track seems awesome from what I have heard. Never been there myself but it seems to be the best one around from what people say.