Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Difference between Evo 3 chassis or boby w/ ordinary 1995 lancer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2004, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between Evo 3 chassis or body w/ ordinary 1995 lancer

i want to know the differce between the chassi of the evo 3 w/ 95 lancer, i have this evo 3 w/c is a total wreck and i want to put the evo 3 parts including the 4 wheel drive, i dont know if its only a bolt on job
Attached Thumbnails Difference between Evo 3 chassis or boby w/ ordinary 1995 lancer-41l90009.jpg  
Old Feb 29, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you find out let us know. no one seems to have an answer. people have done it, they had to fabricate a lot of parts but they used coupes which are obviously the wrong wheelbase. concerning the sedan, someone here said that the challenge is mounting the center differential but that doesn't make any sense because the center diff is inside the transaxle and the transfer case mounts to the transaxle. i would like to get under a lancer/mirage sedan and check to see if the body is machined to accept the rear diff member, the lobro joint, the gas tank, all of the control arms, the center member, and to see if the engine and transaxle mounts are different. all those things could be a problem if you don't have the parts, but if the sedan body is machined to accept them then whats the problem?
Old Feb 29, 2004, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The floor pan at the rear/centre is different. You would have to cut it out of the wrecked car and weld it into the regular chassis.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like wreckleford said, the rear diff area is the problem with the regular lancer, it just wasn't designed for 4wd, for example the floor plan is different and the fuel tank is sitting right where the rear diff shoud be.

The engine and gear box will bolt up fine but getting all the rear diff mechanics in will be troublesome.

It will require cutting out the floor and welding in new one from a GSR or evo.

Personnaly I don't think its worth it (unless there is no way you can get an evo shell) as it will be a lot of work and expensive.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Since we're on the subject of chassis, is the evo 6 chassis the same as our 2000 Mirage? I have a long term goal of building a 6.5 TME repilica and wanted to know what chassis to start with.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

Anybody?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since we're on the subject of chassis, is the evo 6 chassis the same as our 2000 Mirage? I have a long term goal of building a 6.5 TME repilica and wanted to know what chassis to start with.
Same deal with the evo3 into regular lancer chassis.
You will have problems putting in the rear diff, they both have the fuel tank in the way and the chassis is not setup for a rear diff.

If you wanted to build a TME replica your best bet is to get a 4WD lancer (GSR or evo) but snice you are in the US that might be a little hard.

Now if you managed to get a crashed 4WD lancer that has the rear half intact you could probably cut out the chassis part and weld it in.

But i'm not a mechanic so i'm not going to tell you that this is safe and you won't have any problems.

It all comes down to money and how much you have. When theres money, theres a way.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 03:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Yogi_B

But i'm not a mechanic so i'm not going to tell you that this is safe and you won't have any problems.

It all comes down to money and how much you have. When theres money, theres a way.

That's why it's going to be a long term goal. I'd have to find a good shop to do the chassis mods + engine + drivetrain, but everything else I'd like to do myself (except for paint). I know it's not going to be easy or cheap, especially for the JDM factory bodykit - there is no way I'll use a cheap knock-off kit.

I'll probably get the Mirage from a junk yard in about six months (hopefully), and start the tear-down!!
Old Mar 1, 2004, 05:50 AM

Hey that car was taken in SUBIC.

Since you're in the Philippines and labor is cheap, your best bet is to buy a really straight EVO 3 from Japan, get a crashed FWD Lancer and swap the firewall, dashboard, AC, front crossmember, steering rack etc... on the EVO 3.

It will be a hell of a lot easier than to transplant the whole floor plan of the crashed EVO to the FWD Lancer.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 12:51 AM

yes the car is taken from the philippines, but for now its to risky and illegal to import a car her in subic, i think i 'll go for the convertion of an ordinary lancer to an evo 3 chasi i don't mind exploring the posibilities, but i'l keep u guys posted for details for the benefits of others,,, tnx
Old Mar 5, 2004, 04:32 AM

If you are looking to order parts let me know. My email is brian@driftspeed.com

Old Mar 5, 2004, 06:35 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The floorpans, as someone said, are not the same. To do a conversion you will need at the very least :

to cut a driveshaft tunnel in the floorpan.
Rear Evo subframe
Rear diff
Evo gas tank (2 sided)
Driveshaft
axles
transmission etc..

When you're done you will have a 20K car that's worth 5K on paper.
Old Mar 6, 2004, 01:54 AM

well actualy it will cost it around $11,000 usd
a 95 lancer or mirage cost $2,800 usd
dat evo 3 over there cost me $2,500 usd
and iv already contacted my friend matto tan (mattonetiks)
who'll do the convertion and he estimated the cost will be
$3,000 usd including labor and materials to be used in the convertion and the rest will be an emergency funds,,,

Last edited by ADVAN; Mar 6, 2004 at 01:59 AM.