Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How come with half a liter less displacement....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How come with half a liter less displacement....

Evo's always make more power than STIs?

*with equivalent turbos
Old Nov 16, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Aren't sti also not running direct injection?
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont know that its an Aways thing, Similar sized motors produce similar results. With the STI/EVO you cant mod the stock block sti motor to produce similar power to the EVO without major changes--the stock sti block is good for around 300hp before major work needs to be done and the evo its around 400hp. So I feel sure many owners dont want to spend the extra cash for the extra HP as its a major tear down. Different designs, different intentions for use, diff displacement all determine the operating range of a motor. In this case larger displacement yield more down low with a limited upper end. The EVO can be built to produce all its power up top and rev to an RPM out of range for the STI. Again different designs. It take more then a turbo to differentiate a motors output.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
evos can take MUCH more power than STI's, I believe the limit with STI's are they are prone to ringland failure and by that they are limited to ROUGHLY 400whp, where as the 4g63 is very tough and can take wel over 600whp reliably. Now our drivetrain is far weaker so you will find us paying a lot to beefen up the drivetrain.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I totally agree with meckert. The other thing is I have always noticed that most subi's are boosted as high also on stock examples of subi's is that there stock top mount intercooler isn't the greatest hence why people usually swap them out.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a gross oversimplification, but bear with me:

Peak horsepower is generally proportional to bore size. Stroke primarily affects where on the power curve and engine will make power.

So the mere fact that an engine has a bigger displacement does not say very much by itself.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Agreed there is some very specific airflow characteristics to each motor that make them stronger and weaker.

Airflow is targeted at lower engine rpms on a sti than an Evo aswell. Pretty obvious when you compare the oem turbos. The oe configuration works well but change one aspect and the system has a restriction somewhere else. I4 motors are easy to do cams in among nearly every other mod so they respond well to airflow improvements

And a Subaru 6 speed is like holding gods ####
Old Nov 17, 2013, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the insight guys. So I guess the best of both worlds would be a longitudinally mounted 4g63 strapped to an STI tranny.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

evos typically run more boost (because they can)
Old Nov 17, 2013, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Efficiency, head flow, completely different motor layouts.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:50 AM

Not sure on the techinical side of it but the newer subaru engines seem to be much better then the older ones when it comes to high hp levels on a stock motor. 4G63's in general are some of the most well prepared motor's for handling higher hp on the stock motor that ive seen. Assuming maintenance is kept up with and there arent any 1/2 *** corners cut.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
cheeze. why pussyfoot around the truth. the 4g63 smokes the subi engine in the design department. waaay more reliable at any high HP level. it makes power much easier as well. if you took the fastest top 1000 subis and 4g63s around the country I bet 900 would be 4g63 powered.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

{
Originally Posted by meckert
Dont know that its an Aways thing, Similar sized motors produce similar results. With the STI/EVO you cant mod the stock block sti motor to produce similar power to the EVO without major changes--the stock sti block is good for around 300hp before major work needs to be done and the evo its around 400hp. So I feel sure many owners dont want to spend the extra cash for the extra HP as its a major tear down. Different designs, different intentions for use, diff displacement all determine the operating range of a motor. In this case larger displacement yield more down low with a limited upper end. The EVO can be built to produce all its power up top and rev to an RPM out of range for the STI. Again different designs. It take more then a turbo to differentiate a motors output.
this guy knows he stuff
Old Dec 1, 2013, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Do none of you guys know the Rally Heritage. All cars in WRC Where regulated to 2 liters
This is why Evo and original Wrx and first years of STI all where 2.0 liters
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
And a Subaru 6 speed is like holding gods ####
This made me laugh. It is a true statement though. I wish I could put an STi 6-speed in my Evo. Seven years later, and with 524whp on our Mustang dyno, my stock STi transmission is still working like a champ. I just wish Subaru motors could have the volumetric efficiency that the 4G63 has. It takes a lot of money to make more than 500whp with a Subaru (reliably).

Quick Reply: How come with half a liter less displacement....