Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tail Light Differences?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I've searched a bunch online and on EvoM and have yet to find an answer. Still new to the community so this may be a retarded question for some but..

Why do some IX's come with all red/clear tails and some come with the "standard" USDM lights that resemble the JDM's without the amber?

Was this an option? Maybe SE option? Do they even belong on the IX? They look like a reddish VII tail light? I'm confused as s**t.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All stock UDSM IXs have the black housing tail lights. Anything else is swapped for a replica/JDM 7/custom job.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
the red/clear lights I'm guessing you are referring to are Evo 7 tail lights. they were not an option in the US

the standard 9 lights are the JDM's without the amber

the standard 8 lights are chrome housings instead of black like the 9's

evo 7 lights:
Attachment 332946

evo 9 US lights:
Tail Light Differences?-bdyhrl.jpg
Old Nov 28, 2013, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys! I guess the NW has a high population of VII Tails! I've seen 4 in the last week.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yea they're getting pretty popular
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:02 AM

They seem to fetch a pretty high premium too. Sorta wish Depo would make a VII tail light replica.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
the red/clear lights I'm guessing you are referring to are Evo 7 tail lights. they were not an option in the US

the standard 9 lights are the JDM's without the amber

the standard 8 lights are chrome housings instead of black like the 9's

evo 7 lights:

evo 9 US lights:
I'll add on to what Demon has.

These are the JDM Evo9 taillights

Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:48 AM

I have a set of normal 8 tails that someone tinted red. Need to find some 7 tails to make it right. Lol
Old Nov 30, 2013, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

I got really confused for a minute! LOL! There is a TON of Evo's with VII Tails around here. That's what made me think twice! I was thinking: "okay, IX's are like VIII's but the VIII is flat black and the IX is a chorme black and JDM Tails are the same but with amber turn signals so why am I seeing all these reddish VII tails?"

I guess it was mainly because the only time I've actually REALLY looked at VII tails they were on STM's website and they look orange, not red. But DAMN! There's a lot of cars with those tails up here, so if you're looking maybe Seattle is your place! LOL!

So much so that the guys car I'm talking about doesn't even know they are VII tails, he thought they where VIII's and that my tails were MR tails! LOL!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Is there a difference between the JDM 9 tail lights and the JDM evo 8 MR tail lights? Is it the black chrome housing to the flat black housing?

If so, how rare are JDM 9 tail lights because I almost never see the black chrome housing.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
My 8 has black chrome housings, but the Previous Owner told me he opened them up and painted them. I havent seen any like it. Honestly I think the stock 8 tails look hideous.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 08:57 PM

I agree on the stock 8s^^
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMdynamic
Yea they're getting pretty popular
No its just cyclical. 2003-2005 the VII tail light mod was pretty popular. By 2006 the JDM Evo VIII MR taillight swap was the hot new thing so you didn't see as many VII tail lights. This has kept true most of the last couple of years. I guess now to be different again folks are going back to the VII lights .

The real irony I keep pointing out is that the VIII USDM taillights are popular in countries (like my home country) that got the amber and black housing stock. True proof that the grass is always greener on the other side.

Last edited by codgi; Feb 24, 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm asking if there is a difference between JDM 8 MR tail lights (matte black housing) and JDM 9 tail lights (which I'm assuming has black chrome housing) like the USDM tail lights. Am I right about this?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by codgi
The real irony I keep pointing out is that the VIII USDM taillights are popular in countries (like my home country) that got the amber and black housing stock. True proof that the grass is always greener on the other side.
Exactly.

People always want what they don't have lol. It's funny considering the JDM Amber... anything amber in USDM market and people always go for the cleared out look... but just because it's "JDM" they go for the amber corners

Quick Reply: Tail Light Differences?