Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

why people lie when they sell there evo?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why people lie when they sell there evo?

ive looked at a few Evos already and the ppl try to lie about saying "oh its never been raced, no mods at all" they put back to stock but when you look the airbox is missing a clip and it has a hks sticker on the car like really? then you ask them about accidents every excuse is "its just a fender bender in the parking lot" yea right....then why it has a rebuilt title then? people start being more honest if your selling your car leave it modified dont try to put it back to stock saying it never been raced cuz were not kids we actually know about these cars, leave it modified cuz regardless the person who buys it is gonna built it, dont say the car is clean when the title has a lean hold on it. i have seen some f*cked up evos paint fading, half of vortex generator missing, bumpers hanging....dont treat it like a honda value your car its rear its not a common car
Old Nov 28, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, Orlando.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its not in orlando its mostly in miami, i been looking for a evo for 4 months already im to the point where im about to give up seriously
Old Nov 28, 2013, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah they are hard to find in the south
Old Nov 28, 2013, 09:17 AM

Any car from the south there gonna be a 99% chance it has been race and another 50-70% chance it was involved in an accident. Take it from someone that has exported over 100 cars from the US and most of them were bought in Miami. They gonna lie because they desperate to get the car sold. I Should have a RHD GSR coming over soon if you are interested.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 09:21 AM

Went to look at one with a friend. The guy claimed it had a good respray ran good and checked out perfect. Drove 8 hours to see it, the car barley idled because it was untuned with cams, paint looked like it was rattle canned, over spray and chips everywhere. Transfer case whined louder than the exhaust, 3rd grinded. Tried to convert from power to manual windows... But just had the knob sticking out so you couldn't even roll them up or down! Lol Its like come on man be honest if we are driving several hours to look at your car.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 09:39 AM

^ damn , thats ****ty right there. I would have been so pissed
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They lie about it so you buy it...
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by GSX 911
They lie about it so you buy it...

Seriously. This is most obvious question I've read all week if it isn't just a rant.

(Seller) Why does everyone try to talk me down on the price?
--because they want to pay as little as possible.
(Buyer) Why does everyone make the car out to be nicer than it is?
--because they want you to pay as much as possible.

It's pretty basic economics.

Also.... a title that has a bank lien on it has nothing to do with whether the title is clean or not. A clean title is a title with no salvage flag, no insurance total loss flag, no manufactuer buy-back flag, etc. The inconvenience of buying a car with a lien on it does not make it a bad title. It just makes you have to be a big boy and go to the bank to pay for it.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's just the nature of these cars… when they get in the hands of the WRONG people, they abuse them, race them, don't maintain or care for them and they try to sell them off to those of us who DO maintain and treat our cars (especially Evos) with the respect they deserve.

I went through something similar but not entirely true with a car I purchased from South Carolina. It was an SVT focus that I was told was completely stock, never raced or modified. I bought it knowing it needed a clutch and brakes pads/rotors all around. The car only had 63K on it when I purchased it. When the car was torn down for the clutch install, I found that the car at one time had an intake system and that the suspension was changed out and put back to stock. Wether this was done by the owner I purchased it from or the first owner (I am now the third owner), this information was never relayed to me during the discussion of the car's past. I was told (and have documentation) that it was purchased in Florida, driven to California where it spent it's time with the first owner until the second owner purchased it and brought it South Carolina. Difficult for me to understand a car with 63K needed a new clutch and had brakes SO badly worn down, that the dealership I had it checked at called them "hazardous".

It was unfortunate for me that I couldn't physically see the car prior to purchase, and just had it shipped to me, but fortunately there is nothing wrong with the car that I couldn't fix.

All in all it's something we all have to look out for when purchasing ANY used car. For myself, It's piece of mind to either purchase a car from someone you know personally and can vouch for the car or purchase NEW, which I am considering doing again…. which I didn't ever want to do again.

Last edited by MCPunk79; Nov 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Caveat emptor.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=MCPunk79;11036636]It's just the nature of these cars… when they get in the hands of the WRONG people, they abuse them, race them, don't maintain or care for them and they try to sell them off to those of us who DO maintain and treat our cars (especially Evos) with the respect they deserve.

Funny, Its not the wrong people, its damn near every EVO owner here. This forum is full of them. Simply put, its buyer beware--especially with EVO's. Age of owner counts, number of owners count and thinking you car to be hasnt been raced or abused or modded is simply wishful thinking. Every now and then a clean Evo comes up for sale thats worth the price. Anything modded and you have to be a fool to think that it hasn't been "driven". A rebuiid and yeah, you might get a clean engine--however motors dont just blow by themselves and thats a sure sign to ask more questions. Just makes me laugh.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
It's like that with every car man. Especially if you are looking on craigslist. Some people are just retarded.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:40 PM

Wow, after reading all of these I'm glad mine was an unmodified one owner car.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Performance car market, it's just the nature of the beast. Who wouldn't have fun in their evo, sti, etc? You pay all of the money for that exact reason. Then something happens to the car or unexpected life change and it must go, these people know they will get lowballed - if any offer at all - given the 100% truth. The market for VIIIs and IXs is a scary place for sure.

My previous evo the seller wouldn't even give me the car after I paid for it. My current evo the owner let me drive the car 6 hours home with NO cash in his hand. You have to work to find the right owners. It's a game.

Quick Reply: why people lie when they sell there evo?