Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Opinions on Purchasing an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my two cents:

If you find a CLEAN UNMOLESTED EVO IX buy it. Even if it's not an SE. SE's are hard to find, but a DECENT Evo is even harder. Most are 3rd-4th-5th owner type s**t that you won't wont. There are some nice Evo's out there if you look hard enough. I looked for a year. But remember, those DECENT Evo's are more than likely owned by someone who knows/lives/breathes Evolutions. Not only will the car cost more for the simple fact that it's worth more and hard to find, it will also cost more because the dude won't let you haggle him.

If you're only making $10/Hr I'd say stay away from the AWD club for a while. While they are IMO one of the most potent cars ever put on the road, they also carry a heavy price tag, not just with purchasing but with insurance, mod's ext.

If you have ANY tickets get ready to spend $200+ a month if you're lucky. And get ready to drive that car in a responsible manner because they are cop magnets. At least here in the NW they are.

I'm not saying don't buy one, I'm just saying don't do it thinking it will be all cupcakes and big turbos. You'll more than likely have **** you have to do/fix on the car. It's just the name of the game. So make sure that you're ready to dish out THOUSANDS of dollars. If you're not, hold off for a bit, there will still be Evos around.

Just my two cents. It's your cash. Your life. Just make the decision that's best for you!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in the same situation as you. I cant say i make the same amount of money because i make more, (not being a ***, just my situation) and i pay rent for my parents about $300 a month. I am also 19 and wanting to buy an evo 8. Only difference is i dont go to school. But in your shoes i would wait to pay the car off in cash. Makes things easier. thats what i plan on doing anyway. And definitely have a couple g's left over cause you never know what could go wrong. Dont waste it all in one shot! good luck
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Oh dude! You're 19 man? You're going to pay like $300-450/Mo for insurance man! Better call Geico to get a quote!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
I'm not usually one to recommend buying an Evo to a 19 year old kid, especially when you're a full time college student. That said, I say that if you find the right Evo at a good price you should go for it. You seem to be responsible. I say this because you use proper grammar/punctuation, got a good scholarship, have been paying down your debts before you need to, and seem to have done your homework on the true cost of ownership on an Evo. You probably will not be able to find a IX SE for $20k, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't look. You also probably won't be able to build a full bolt-on car with your income but you can obtain a good stock car and be ready to mod it when you graduate. Get a real insurance quote, make sure you're okay with the payment, and start looking. Don't get trigger happy and purchase the first one you come across, though. Good luck, man. Don't prove me wrong.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't be a fool! Until you can pay for it in cash, have zero debt a stable job, don't do it.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Go with your gut feeling, you seem like an intelligent person. Just always keep money stashed away just incase something goes wrong. Transfer case and transmission rebuilds are 1500+. With that being said, I would refrain from modding it at least until you are done school and get a better job, that way it decreases the chance of something going wrong. But, like the other have said, if you find the right Evo, go with it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to post the ad on here to get some of the other experienced owners opinions on the cars condition.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

6% interest for an 06? No thanks.

Also still in school with a lot of unsure variables... bad decision man. Just wait.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 07:39 PM

lol am I the only one itt seeing things realistically. Since when did 19 year olds with op's income roll around in 20-30k vehicles without they'r parents money. It's impossible! Not only does op want an evo he wants a clean ix se...oh man I Gota check my age..yupp I'm still older than op, phewww.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
if you do buy the car i suggest having one of your parents co-sign for you and that could bring your interest down to around 2-3% range depending on where you live, just need to go over the price to own the car before you dive in
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:56 AM

Yeah I was thinking about co-signing. And "un-molested" has to be the best way I've ever seen someone describe a vehicle that hasn't been abused, haha.

I'll get a quote later on today, hopefully it's around what I'm paying now.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

I wouldnt recomment it, I had a modified Subaru in college, it was a mess. Get yourself a nice reliable car in college, once you have money to play find yourself an EVO.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

I bought a 2009 Ralliart (in 2009) for $27k while working at Hardee's for $7.75/hr with 40 hours. I lived at home and was full time college student on scholarship. Car payment, insurance, and cell phone were my only bills. I made it work, but it wasn't fun at all. You get the mod bug to start itching, and you seem to be broke all the time. I would wait until after school, and you get a better job.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Man, if you can make the payments on time, every time I say go for it, are you on your parents insurance, it will be a lot cheaper pending they have a clean driving history, since your a student living at home, id say milk it while you got it, worse comes to worse you could always sell it if things change, and its not like ur going to have a problem selling as long as you take good care of it
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

beater and save and then after college down payment with mods after issues are taken care of. you can keep that beater too as a second while mods are being installed and/or dyno time. patience i'm 25 and i just bought a IX mr. i've wanted it since 07. but before you actually do buy a car GET IT LOOKED OVER BY A PROFESSIONAL!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:54 PM

You seem to be in a good position. I'd say do it.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on Purchasing an EVO