Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Opinions on Purchasing an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pass....focus on school and getting rid of school debt.

Also...100 month insurance? I assume that is going on your parents policy with one of them being the main driver and not u. No way otherwise.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 03:47 PM

To everyone asking me if I'll be on my parents policy, yes I will be. The car will be in my name. And I actually received an insurance quote earlier today!

Theyre saying because of AAA's 3 year good driver incentive program, my insurance will be $146.00 per month. As far as I'm concerned, $146.00/month for a 19 year old driving an IX is incredible.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 04:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably going to give some terrible advice, but I'll give it a shot.....

I was in your position several years back with my first EVO purchase. Basically, I had a '98 Audi A4 as my beater and would have had the damn thing paid for in a couple more years, but I was in a rush to get ****ed up on Mitsuheroin that I sold it too soon. Now, I wasn't going for a cherry car either, so there are several differences between my terrible decision and your (potentially) terrible decision. I ended up in a bucket load of debt trying to get that car into shape since even some of the most basic items are not cheap, especially when you're only making $10-13 an hour. Needless to say, that turd was gone within 6 months but not before opening a terrible can of whoop *** on my bank account, credit score, and general sanity.

Fast forward 10 years and I'm back in an EVO, only this time it's a IX, supposedly unmolested, but let me tell you the world of **** that are these cars. Things start to break, leak, and it just gets worse when it's your DD vehicle. I've spent more in maintenance and repairs than I have in mods, and I've spent some serious coin buying new parts from reputable vendors. I'm even looking at buying a cheap beater just so I can put the EVO in the garage and forget about it for a while.

Give it some thought. Be prepared to commit to varying expenses, unexpected cost, high fuel cost, and irritating scenarios that will pop up at the most inopportune times. That should be blanket statement for any sporty car, so even if you shrug off this platform, expect the same from another.

Now go buy that EVO.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 08:45 PM

Hahaha, thank you for the heads up! Just think about this.. I had a '94 Mustang GT with a vortech supercharger system, that damn thing broke down every other month. Now THAT was what I call a nightmare to expenses.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Look man this is how I figured out on buying my evo

I had a turbo lancer and knew my way around cars.
I judged my purchase off
1.) can I fix it if something were to happen "save money on labor"
2.) do I have amy debt that will hold me back from a payment- credit cards, school, decent paying job?
3.) are you money savy? Do you know how to work the system? I prefer not to get into detail on this topic by thread

The point is think before you buy this is an investment not a
Game purchase you have an expensive car, high maintenance, not to mention an attraction to the wrong crowd if something were to happen.

Once you come to an agreement with yourself the smart way you will not have any worries
Old Dec 14, 2013, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck finding a IX SE , took me a long time to find a nice one. Also finding that elusive stock one will be just short of impossible.

As far as everyone saying get a beater they apparently skipped the part were you drive a 350Z now. So keep it if you can and drive the Evo when it's nice out. At least have access to another vehicle.

Maintaining one is definitely key, you can't skimp on these like you can other cars. Use top quality fluids in everything and change often.

A turbo car is WAY different than what you have had so far and the first mod you should do is a turbo timer.

Good luck with school and your search.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 06:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Lovin CocaCola
Yeah I understand what you're saying with the whole "I'm 19, need to mature" deal, but put it this way. My first car was a '94 Mustang GT and my car now is an '03 350z Touring.

I'm used to a faster car, plus I haven't had a speeding ticket in the 3 years I've been driving. I know when and when to not be an *******, basically. Also, the EVO would be great for me because I live in Rhode Island and like 5 months out of the year have snow, and the AWC in the EVO is great.
Originally Posted by wc351
Good luck finding a IX SE , took me a long time to find a nice one. Also finding that elusive stock one will be just short of impossible.

As far as everyone saying get a beater they apparently skipped the part were you drive a 350Z now. So keep it if you can and drive the Evo when it's nice out. At least have access to another vehicle.

Maintaining one is definitely key, you can't skimp on these like you can other cars. Use top quality fluids in everything and change often.

A turbo car is WAY different than what you have had so far and the first mod you should do is a turbo timer.

Good luck with school and your search.
Missed that part, my bad.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Evo is a HUGE distraction. If you let it take up your time, it can bring your grades down and you could possibly lose your scholarship. If that happens, you would be paying for a car and school. Keep that in mind if you decide to get an Evo.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
why are you receiving student aid if you don't need it?
Not to get OT, but I work and pay taxes, yet I have to pay for school out of pocket. Thats the system for ya
Old Dec 14, 2013, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ramen_Noodle

Missed that part, my bad.
Hahaha, yeahhhh. I love my Z but it's too common. I personally know at least 30 people with them.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

The key here is you want to own your toys, not have your toys own you.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Listen for that whine of death and if there isnt one you're usually in good shape. Also this is a car that demands alot of respect. It can fool you into thinking you can push it a lil bit more because of awd. Learn all there is to know first.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 02:34 PM

I'd just wait personally until you are done with school, but if you find the perfect car then maybe jump on it. Get all you finances in line, and see what kind of money you have for payments, maintenance, repairs, e.c.t. Expect every little thing on the car if it's going to be your daily, and just go from there. they can be expensive cars, but if you start with a good and don't be to hard on it, it should serve you well.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 09:20 AM

Well I got an insurance quote, and I'm actually surprised. I'd be paying about $129 a month.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Go for it. Life is short. We worry about getting out of debt but hey you're paying for it now, or later - what's the difference? There are some people that get stressed out paying for what they want/bought over a period of time, and there are other people who don't.
Listen to all the sound advice already.
Make sure you don't get distracted:
At school, or on the road.
Stay very sharp about your finances.
Anticipate serious investment in maintenance and repairs.
It's very rare for the average person to have everything absolutely perfect BEFORE they can pull the trigger. To some extent we all make adjustments here and there to have the things we want and love now - because the one thing you have no control over, is when it's time to go.
Good luck, just be respectful and responsible.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions on Purchasing an EVO