Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quiet exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what made me get the RRE is not just about how it sounds, but also about how it looks. theres a reason why its called a STEALTH exhaust. it sounds and dresses the part well. no shiny burnt tips here. looks like a stock blacked out exhaust.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

I got an hks carbon-ti and it is very quiet at idle. I can start the car in my garage and not wake the kids 20ft away. But when you get on it it has a nice deep growl like the subbies, not the loud tinny drone I had with my magnaflow exhaust. And I don't have a cat or resonator, straight through all the way from turbo. Kinda spendy though but I do see them pop up on the forum for a decent price, I ended up getting mine for 150 shipped on here which is a hell of a lot better than the grand they go for new. Only problem is mine was for a jdm bumper but that's just an excuse to get one of those haha.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

I think I'm just going to get the varex muffler.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the HKS super turbo muffler? Anyone tried this one with a resonated test pipe.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 05:44 PM
BBC
Evolving Member

I've had the rre stealth for about 60k now. Great company but exhaust is not quiet at all and never really was. I can't understand why people compare it to the stock exhaust, not even close. Drones horribly from 2500 to 3500 rpm. People comment on it constantly. Its really heavy too, at least the stainless version I have. Good things I can say about it is fabrication quality is excellent and the tip is in fact stealth. Bottom line is I wanted near stock quiet and regret this purchase.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone running Megan stealth exhaust? I am getting ready to purchase one but doing last minute research on it.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 06:59 PM

I have the apexi noir exhaust on my evo. Sounds like stock and a little grumble when you do wot.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BBC
I've had the rre stealth for about 60k now. Great company but exhaust is not quiet at all and never really was. I can't understand why people compare it to the stock exhaust, not even close. Drones horribly from 2500 to 3500 rpm. People comment on it constantly. Its really heavy too, at least the stainless version I have. Good things I can say about it is fabrication quality is excellent and the tip is in fact stealth. Bottom line is I wanted near stock quiet and regret this purchase.

Interesting...Do you still have the cat or even a hi-flow cat?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:14 AM

I have the Fujitsubo RM01a exhaust, but it was too quiet even with S2 cams. So I got the RRE stealth and it has a deeper tone with no droning. With my stock turbo using virtual Dyno I also got similar power numbers with both exhaust even with the taper at the resonators on the fujitsubo. I don't think the taper is that restrictive with the stock turbo. I have the Fujitsubo for sale, but I live in Hawaii so hard to sell due to shipping.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 05:58 PM
BBC
Evolving Member

I have a Mil.spec 100 cell cat. The RRE downpipe is a work of art.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BBC
I have a Mil.spec 100 cell cat. The RRE downpipe is a work of art.

I'm very sure if you had the stock evo catalytic converter back on, it would be quieter. But who rides around with stock cats anymore...except me...lol!

I'm willing to bet if I still had my stock cat and just bolted on RRE exhaust, it would be almost as quiet as my stock exhaust.

With hi-flow cat, you're pushing more air and less dampening. With a test pipe, even more air and more noise.

To dampen the noise a little, installing a magnaflow canister from bushur does help keep the noise down. Heck if we had room where the cat is normally located, I'd put two of those canisters in place.

You want quiet, put the stock exhaust back on and modify the internals of the muffler like Works. Get an aftermarket DP and or Hiflow cat/magnaflow canister to keep things from droning a bit at certain rpm. You'll also still have the restrictive midpipe resonator and smaller piping. This IMHO will keep the noise down to a level but performance on mid-high rpm is sacrificed.

Just my opinion, but who cares from this noob!!! Right?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:29 AM

TL;DR

fk the neighbors
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BBC
That is strange. I did notice a measurable difference between the RRE Stealth and the HKS Carbon Ti, see https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...exhaust-2.html. Agree that it is not as quiet as stock, but again, with the stock exhaust I also had the all the stock piping + stock cat.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I have the RRE stealth setup, with a 2.5-3" DP and oem cat, it is noticeably louder than a stock Evo VIII. However, I have HKS 272 cams which contributes to the loudness/drone. Very interested in trying a Varex muffler but the cost is painful.

Video on YouTube of an Evo with cams and Varex Muffler
Old Dec 27, 2013, 01:19 AM
Evolving Member

Ill get you guys some before and after pictures of my setup. I went with a varex 3" 3" oval tip muffler, it will look stock. I have a 3" downpipe all the way back HKS super bla bla catback, cut off the watermelon shooter. Bottom line is it works, I have to get the car retuned for cruise partial off boost throttle and then tuned for open.

Quick Reply: Quiet exhaust