Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quiet exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quiet exhaust

I have a full custom tbe from previous owner no resonators and a magna flow muffler. This thing is loud. My neighbors hate me, cops hate me etc. Now it being 2013 are there other quiet exhaust solutions? When I searched all results from 2006. I honestly don't mind the noise.... Because I don't want to sacrifice power for noise. I only want it to idle quieter so I don't wake my neighbors. I'm frequently coming home in the 12-4 am range. I will be running tp and dp too.... No cat. I'd also prefer an exhaust that was full turbo back over a cat back.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
In my best opinion, you should get a down pipe and then a resonated test pipe and then a catback with 2 resonators welded in. It should help. I have a 3"DP, Gutted HFC and an AMS catback with one resonator installed. It idles nicely and not too loud. It is only loud when you hit the gas hard. Cruising around, it isn't very loud at all. I hope this helps.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
mufflers will make it quiet, not resonators
Old Dec 14, 2013, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

I'd like to just buy a known quiet exhaust I don't have to modify. Any options like that?
Old Dec 14, 2013, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat, previous owner had a 3" TB exhaust installed. Neighbors don't say anything, but I can only imagine.

Since then I've swapped out the test pipe for a resonated one, helped a tad but not enough.

My next purchase will be this part from STM to see if it gets it where it needs to be...

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._resonator.htm

Good luck!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
110 threads on this already...Tanabe touring medallion is really quiet (93db). As stated resonators dont make it quiet---think about a Decent hfc instead, by decent I mean with something other then 100 cell count. for the 10-hp your giving up you ears and neighbors will thank you.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

i used to have a full turbo back.. downpipe, testpipe with a greddy ti (rolled tip). sounds awesome but it got old after driving the car for 4+ years. fast forward to this year, i decided to get an RRE(road race engineering) stealth catback. it has 2 resonators and a magnaflow muffler. it is custom made but i believe you can have them make you one by just telling them what year make & model you have. its a big improvement as far as noise and drone go. i didnt even know that my 6 puck was loud till i put the rre catback on. 200 bucks well spent if you ask me. might look into getting a resonated testpipe soon.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Magna-Flow.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

If you can find a Perrin stealth exhaust, I love mine. It's noticeably quieter than my old TurboXS catback. The Perrin is quieter without a cat than the XS was with one.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

my first catback was the greddy evo 2 i have to change the resomator at the midle because is restrictive and install a magnaflow resonator ,with test pipe at idle is 92db , later i get the hks sport exhaust wth milspec 100 high flow cat and at iddle is 83 db , about performance is about is about 5 hp difference .
but is 10 pounds less diference in weight.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 07:26 AM

I have cobb turbo back exhaust on my car that I consider pretty quite as well. it's a hard exhaust to find now days but its a very good exhaust. has two resonators in it as well.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmdion
I have cobb turbo back exhaust on my car that I consider pretty quite as well. it's a hard exhaust to find now days but its a very good exhaust. has two resonators in it as well.
yeha its too bad the cobb is so hard to find. i have one and it passes the 86db limit at lime rock with a berk hi flow cat.

theres a slight chance i may let mine go for the right price, since it is pretty heavy for a track car.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by fwd_josh
If you can find a Perrin stealth exhaust, I love mine. It's noticeably quieter than my old TurboXS catback. The Perrin is quieter without a cat than the XS was with one.
can you shoot a link of this?
Originally Posted by gothp?
i used to have a full turbo back.. downpipe, testpipe with a greddy ti (rolled tip). sounds awesome but it got old after driving the car for 4+ years. fast forward to this year, i decided to get an RRE(road race engineering) stealth catback. it has 2 resonators and a magnaflow muffler. it is custom made but i believe you can have them make you one by just telling them what year make & model you have. its a big improvement as far as noise and drone go. i didnt even know that my 6 puck was loud till i put the rre catback on. 200 bucks well spent if you ask me. might look into getting a resonated testpipe soon.
you got links to all this? thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
yeha its too bad the cobb is so hard to find. i have one and it passes the 86db limit at lime rock with a berk hi flow cat.

theres a slight chance i may let mine go for the right price, since it is pretty heavy for a track car.

Ya I'd let mine go for the right price as well. It's am awesome exhaust, but it's definitely a bit heavy, and I'm trying to lose weight in autox without tearing up my car
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

PM what you guys would sell them for.

Quick Reply: Quiet exhaust