Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

stored motor around 2 years. any precautions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stored motor around 2 years. any precautions?

my Evo 9 has been out of commission for 2 years and my motor has been out(my built motor has been sitting out of the engine for 2 years). I am just wondering if there's any precautions. Are there things I have to do to it. do I have to relube the journals. And one more thing. I want to turn the motor over so what would be the safest way to put the oil inside would I put the oil over the camshafts and the head? I apologize for the newbie question but I couldn't find it on the forums. Thank you all.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 06:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
The biggest issue is rust in the cylinder walls. Hopefully they were well oiled before it sat.
I would take the spark plugs out and use a straw to put a table spoon or so of oil in the cylinders. Use the dip method with the straw.
Let it sit for a day then rotate the engine over the correct way using a ratchet and the crank pulley.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 06:57 PM

It wasn't oiled at all and thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there is a way to prime the oil, then do that before you ever spin the engine. By now the journals will be dry and turning the engine dry is a bad idea. Personally I would relube the journals and check for rust.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 09:22 PM

I checked and you can prime it by already having oil in the engine and turning it over using the starter for 20-30 seconds, with the spark plugs out. I assume I could remove oil pan and check for rust from there. What do you think?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

I would pull the pan and lube the journals and check for rust at the same time. Better to be safe than sorry. It only takes a second to destroy bearings or a crankshaft.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 06:07 AM

Lightbulb

Thanks abacus & wc351. I appreciate your help. I'll let you know how it goes and I'll take some pics in about a week or two.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What I would of done during the period it was stored is every now and again get a drill with a socket adapter bit. use the drill with the socket adapter on the nut of the oil pump to prime the engine for maybe 20 seconds or so. This is assuming its a complete motor minus the Belts on the car. If you have all the belts on you cant really do this though. What I would do is once you have the motor back in the car, disconnect fuel pump relay and crank your car a few times to circulate the engine oil and you should be good.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

I'm concerned about your cylinder walls since you said they were never oiled.... If the motor was assembled with assembly lube I wouldn't worry about the journals. Honestly though it is what it is at this point. Like everyone else said, once you get the motor in the car just prime the system to circulate some oil and then fire her up! Looking forward to any updates Good Luck!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

I have also made this mistake and will boroscope my 2nd engine tonight to make sure no rust is on the cylinder walls. I completely forgot to put oil in the cylinders... FML
Im crossing my fingers for us both.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 01:50 PM

I have royal purp. break in or oil(prefer not to use it for Lube and Waste It) but do you think I should pour conventional oil(or something else)on top and the bottom of the Pistons and then turn the motor over? It's not ready to start(maybe for another 3 months) and I just want to turn it over to get it oiled up. actually my plan is to just put the motor in so my car can roll and then ship it to another state so I can work on it there.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 01:56 PM

thanks for the quick replies I will have pictures and updates for you all and I will let you know if there is rust in there or not. #foxbear-I wish you the best too. Let me know the result.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:02 AM

There is rust in the motor. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

If you want it done right, you need to disassemble the motor. Steel wool the cylinders if it's light rust. If it's thick stuff, you're gonna need to hone it.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tbryant0226
There is rust in the motor. Any suggestions?
Where is the rust? On the cylinder walls? If your not going to pull the motor to have that corrected then you I'd think putting oil in the cylinders to try to get some on the walls and slowly turn it by hand to see if it helps. If the rust it's to bad and the motor is able to rotate you may junk all your rings.

Quick Reply: stored motor around 2 years. any precautions?