Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Another Evo that may be a good deal! Opinions? 2005 MR WW

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcdirtrider
Im sorry but I am going to have to say... Brazil. You have to understand my concern though But im gonna call the guy tomorrow and see what he says about an inspection. If the title and mechanical condition checks out, ill be on a plane this weekend Thought this was a damn good deal
Wait are you serious or kidding with the Brazil comment?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
At least he was honest about the racing, although it would be pretty hard to say it was never raced since it has a cage in it. Buy it, if the transmission goes you should have enough cash to put a five speed(since the car is soo cheap).
Old Dec 18, 2013, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a pre-purchase inspection by a shop that knows Evos. The car has an aftermarket manifold and intake, has clearly been raced, and is up for a low price. That sounds like engine problems to me.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Get a pre-purchase inspection by a shop that knows Evos. The car has an aftermarket manifold and intake, has clearly been raced, and is up for a low price. That sounds like engine problems to me.
i second this opinion
Old Dec 18, 2013, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would only buy it if it were going to strictly be a race car. But even then after you rebuild the engine and possibly replace the transmission you could have gotten a better car that needs absolutely no work at all.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:20 AM

I just talked to the Fella, and unfortunately he did not do the prep work. He said he bought it from a family friend, but the race prep work done at Phoenix Performance in Pennsylvania, and the motor was built at "Skytec" in Detroit. I am not familiar with it, nor can I find a website for it. Could be because the engine was built so long ago. Any other opinions?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I just talked to the Fella, and unfortunately he did not do the prep work. He said he bought it from a family friend, but the race prep work done at Phoenix Performance in Pennsylvania, and the motor was built at "Skytec" in Detroit. I am not familiar with it, nor can I find a website for it. Could be because the engine was built so long ago. Any other opinions?
As far as I'm concerned if the compression is good then it shouldn't matter
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

What is the complete modification list?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:56 AM

Like I said, no paperwork unfortunately. I am going to call an auto shop today and have them do an inspection/compression/leakdown test just to cover all of the bases. I did run a vehicle history report and found that the last mileage reported was 3,3XX in 2010 so it looks like the title checks out!

I do have to think about it like this though. I bought a 02 WRX for ~$8500, sold it for ~$12000, so id basically be trading a WRX for an Evo MR

Last edited by dcdirtrider; Dec 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I seen this car on a ad I was interested for a while but I didn't like that it was just a strictly a track car. 11k on it might be worse then say 60k or so that was just a dd. but then again you never know! Either way good luck!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
Like I said, no paperwork unfortunately. I am going to call an auto shop today and have them do an inspection/compression/leakdown test just to cover all of the bases. I did run a vehicle history report and found that the last mileage reported was 3,3XX in 2010 so it looks like the title checks out!

I do have to think about it like this though. I bought a 02 WRX for ~$8500, sold it for ~$12000, so id basically be trading a WRX for an Evo MR
Seriously if you don't buy it, please PM me his info.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by kanovic
I seen this car on a ad I was interested for a while but I didn't like that it was just a strictly a track car. 11k on it might be worse then say 60k or so that was just a dd. but then again you never know! Either way good luck!
Like I said, I ran a history report and found that the mileage is correct. The previous owner did all of the modifications to the car, and he only owned it til it had 2,XXX miles on the ODO So there probably is only around 1500 miles or so that have been tracked overall. The current owner has owned the car since then, and has not raced the vehilce at all. He is goint to take it to a mechanic next monday and have an inspection/leakdown/compression test done (only ~$150). He is also a Police officer apparently so, no speeding on the test drive I guess... but most likey a bit more honest then most CL posters.

Last edited by dcdirtrider; Dec 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 01:28 PM

wow great find, jump on it if it all checks out.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have not seen the ad, but is this even a us-spec evo?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:36 AM

Guy said it might be sold so.. damn

Quick Reply: Another Evo that may be a good deal! Opinions? 2005 MR WW