Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Do i need to resurface my stock flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
As everyone else has said resurface the flywheel when you are replacing the clutch. Unless there is something wrong with the stock flywheel there is no reason to buy a new one instead of just resurfacing the stocker. Any thickness missing between the flywheel and the mounting points for the clutch will make your clutch last that much less. Any inconsistencies in the surface will also eat your clutch disc faster.

The purpose of the flywheel is to store energy. The stored energy is released between shifts, starting from a stop, starting on a hill, etc. The less mass you have in a flywheel means less energy is stored, which is why people complain when the car is a DD or they live in hilly areas. The point of a lighter flywheel is that is less mass to get spinning during acceleration. I went with a Comp lightweight flywheel because the car isn't my daily, all roads around me are flat, and I primarily use the car for auto-x. As with anything there are tradeoffs that you have to be willing to deal with.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
As everyone else has said resurface the flywheel when you are replacing the clutch. Unless there is something wrong with the stock flywheel there is no reason to buy a new one instead of just resurfacing the stocker. Any thickness missing between the flywheel and the mounting points for the clutch will make your clutch last that much less. Any inconsistencies in the surface will also eat your clutch disc faster.

The purpose of the flywheel is to store energy. The stored energy is released between shifts, starting from a stop, starting on a hill, etc. The less mass you have in a flywheel means less energy is stored, which is why people complain when the car is a DD or they live in hilly areas. The point of a lighter flywheel is that is less mass to get spinning during acceleration. I went with a Comp lightweight flywheel because the car isn't my daily, all roads around me are flat, and I primarily use the car for auto-x. As with anything there are tradeoffs that you have to be willing to deal with.
Although I do agree with you. The guys at Ivey Tune, have told me that resurfacing the flywheel can be dangerous and cause it to break or crack. And something spinning that fast, breaking doesn't sound good to me.

It doesn't seem very likely at all though so I'm not sure what to believe. I've never had an issue resurfacing.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 05:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
Although I do agree with you. The guys at Ivey Tune, have told me that resurfacing the flywheel can be dangerous and cause it to break or crack. And something spinning that fast, breaking doesn't sound good to me.

It doesn't seem very likely at all though so I'm not sure what to believe. I've never had an issue resurfacing.
I would be interested to hear exactly what caused it. Resurfacing flywheels is way too common for it to be an actual issue. I have heard of shops refusing to resurface them due to cracks in the face. Check out what Road Race Engineering has to say.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/c...ywheeltech.htm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by terror rising
I would be interested to hear exactly what caused it. Resurfacing flywheels is way too common for it to be an actual issue. I have heard of shops refusing to resurface them due to cracks in the face. Check out what Road Race Engineering has to say.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/c...ywheeltech.htm
Great read thank you. I guess they just didn't want to be "liable" for it if it did end up coming apart.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange, never heard of damage caused by the resurfacing of a flywheel. I mean, it's pretty much standard procedure unless you are replacing it.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great advice here, thanks
I am currently rebuilding my gearbox and thinking about swapping out the stock flywheel. Looking for a performance upgrade really ..