Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Engine Failure x 2, lemon?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2004, 06:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think uncontrolled boost would have triggered a fuel cut, what I mean is he probably would have brought it in because the car would fall on its face repeatedly if he was accellerating onto a parkway..

I do agree that it could be something was floating around, possibly a piece of schrapnel from the first blown engine in the head or something else traveled into the pump..

We do have an oil cooler, and external filter assembly, those items could have a defect or have gotten plugged with debris from the first engine (or already had debris in it)

When they fix the car again, you should insist they have the engine oil tested and the oil filter examined for debris for some time after they "Fix it right"
Old Mar 1, 2004, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
If it was a catastrophic engine failure they need to replace the entire engine. (long block) They also need to replace the turbo and oil cooler along with all oil lines. Once you blow the engine no matter how well they think they have flushed everything you will never get all the metal particles out. Insist on anything that is engine lubricant related being replaced not serviced. Since I'm also potentially looking at the lemon law I 've had my lawyer read through N.C.'s laws and here it is four attempts or 20 days in year for the same exact malfunction. You really need a lawyer to look into it as it was a different rod bearing the second time just to make sure that there is no loop holes for them there. You will also want to document everything very thoroughly. Get copies of work orders and you will have to write mitsubishi a letter stating what happened and what the dealer has done to fix it. According to N.C. law mitsubishi will then have 14 days to fix it or give you a new car. I'm not sure if it is the same for your state but, I hope this helps.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen this happen on many motors, rotaries, piston, etc. Usually when you get any bearing failure, YOU MUST CLEAN THE ENTIRE OIL PASSAGE system. Every time I've seen a blown motor it's second time back after a rebuild from a first break down, the entire oil system was not cleaned thoroughly and shazam crud fouled up and caused the first break is still around and does it again. If they check all the oil passages, they'll probably find the oil pump is broken and shredding itself, or the turbo bearings/shaft, etc. It's most often the little things that cause the major failures.. Good luck. I hpoe they find the problem and at least give a good conclusive explanatation and you get back into a solid depandabel Evo soon!
Old Mar 2, 2004, 02:18 PM

Well I met with the corp shirt (Bill Adams) from Mitsu over at Stohlman about 30 min ago. Aside from being condescending, insensative and IMO rather abrasive the official word is that THEY ARE "NOT" GOING TO PAY FOR THE REPAIR AND NEW ENGINE. This guy says that I over revved the engine and spun the rod bearing loose. Not much more to say other than that. I'm looking at ~$5000 for repairs.

In the meantime I gotta go after Mitsu corp for this. This just isn't right. Just because this guy (Bill) says he hasn't seen this before doesn't mean its automatically my fault. This is rediculous and is not going to fun at all. Seems like no real investigation was done. No possibility the put it together wrong, eh?

I called Mitsu Cust Svc to update my file I created yesterday with my original concerns. Apparently Mike (guy in customer service) had some of what Bill had. This "we ain't gonna do it, your screwed" type of attitude. I asked if it was a problem to update my file since he seemed have an attitude that it was. I just told him to update my file with the complaint and disagreement. He claimed it was updated. I asked by whom since this was my first call today over events that just happened. He said Bill Adams updated it. I'm like how could he update my file with my complaint. It turns out Bill Adams just added his decision and denial of the complaint and request for buy back. Gotta love some customer service folks...not the sharpest pencils in the box abd rude to boot. Anyway, I told him to update my file and that was it.

It's not gonna be pretty for me from this point onward. I don't care what anybody says, thinks, pontificates, whatever exegesis offered, whatever... I did not over rev this car. I did not downshift to the wrong gear or anything. I was watching my rev limiter and shift points specifically because of this problem.

Trust me, I will NEVER buy another mitsubishi. I understand corp protection of money and the bottom and that they are always going to look out for number one first. That's par for the course but when people are just abrasive and rude without any reason that is inexcusable. I'm sure these folks were prolly highly defensive and expecting me the attack as soon as I heard the news but on the contrary I wasn't. Anyway...it's officially on now.

The contest begins.

T
Old Mar 2, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Hell dood, overrevving wouldn't even cause that problem. A spun bearing? The first thing to go would be your valves! Yer shirt guy needs to get a lesson in physics and engine repair.

I am a new car Evo owner. This is bull****. I feel your pain and will consider, as an owner, that is doing this to me too. Whatever I can do to help in your quest I will...
Old Mar 2, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please keep us updated, I want to hear a good story about your opening up a jumbo can of whoop-*** on ole' Mits. You absolutely had a case of an incorrect rebuild.

How many miles were on the second engine?
Old Mar 2, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not positive about this but some brands of ECU's record a few engine parameters, including max rpm ever seen on the motor. If you've never over reved it, offer to prove it through examination of the ECU memory. Possibly someone with actual experience with the MUT service tool can comment.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Left Headlamp Cover

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the motor failures.

Also...Sorry to hear that your car got smacked in transit.

I have a headlamp that had a clip that was stressed and broke in an accident. The whole headlamp unit is perfectly good except for the little clip. Basically the subframe that holds the lamp was tweaked from the bottom and broke the lamp clip.

I got the left headlamp back from the insurance, in case somebody wanted to pick up a headlamp at something lower than ~1400.00. Yes, EVO lamps...are...that expensive.

So...drop me a PM if you would like some pics, and want to pick up the lamp and 'save' a few bucks. I also have a tube of adhesive in case 'you' want to do the work to glue back on the tab. BTW if you want me too...I work with fiberglass and adhesives quite a bit and could put in on for you.

BTW getting a set of clearbra headlamp covers really helps the lamps from getting scratched.

Cheers,

Later,

jcnle.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 02:58 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm with Malibu Jack, If you have an engine faliure you HAVE to replace the oilcooler and lines if they did not THAT CAUSED THE SECOND FAILURE!!! Fight like hell, tell them you have a lawyer and an expert witness who will state that the oiling system must be compleatly replaced after a failure etc. See if you can get a settlement out of them and pay Turbotrix to build your new motor. Good luck
Old Mar 2, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Get the motor to a shop where you can get detailed pictures and video of it being disassembled. You will most likely find something that came apart and fed debris to the rod/main bearings.. Then most likely you will find it was a part not replaced at the last rebuild and caused this one.. Then again it could be on of those small flukes, but the majority of failures liek this after a previous one are found to be this way... Good Luck.. Mitsu really needs to focus on keeping customers now.. I hope they get a clue or your lawyer finds one for them..
Old Mar 2, 2004, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

If your going to be in for a fight, I'd be sure to try to get copies of all the work and parts orders related to the original repair. Those should show exactly what work was done and what parts were replaced or rebuilt. You'll probably need to fight to get them, though.

My experiences with the shirts has been pretty negative - I had dealer tech beat on my car after being given permission by the district manager (the DM actally called me to talk about it afterwards...) to try to figure out why my car was throwing an SES light. This was without any prior contact with me about the issue - he claimed they were "testing" the impact of my mods. Oh, he also added a "waranty watch flag" to my car in the customer service database and tried to tell me that my car's entire waranty was voided (we talked - he was an *******). I was about ready to sue them on the spot. I guess that's what I get for sending my car in for a recall notice. I still love my Evo, but I'll NEVER buy another .

Sorry for the OT; my point was be ready for a fight.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 05:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Hey bro ..

sorry to hear about your loss. I dont know how mitsubishi would of used the same crank and put your motor back together. If anyone spins off a rod bearing you can guarentee that the crank is messed up. Now if they replaced the crank.. The rod bearings are motor specific. So Lets say your block has a number 2 on it and your crank is color yellow.. Then you would need a number 3 rod bearing. If that makes sense to you. Now if they replaced your crank and used say a color black for the crank and the mitsu tech pulled up your number from your vin, you would of gotten the wrong rod bearings. I know there are three different sizes of rod bearings. If you have someone check this, i bet they used the wrong ones. They are only off by a couple of thousands but over time this will wear which is what happend to you. Dont let anyone tell you that you over revved the motor. Number one the stock rev limi is 7300, i have the aem box and have gone well into 9 grand before. You would of gotten ignition cut and if your boost went to high, you certainly wouldnt of spun a rod bearing, Blown head gasket, cracked piston.... Not a spun rod bearing. Give me a call if you need any help with this mess.

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Mar 2, 2004, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

surprised

As an engineer that 'tries' to solve problems every day...I'm surprised that Mitsu. let the 'dealer' 'rebuild' a motor literally, "on-the-spot."

The most reliable way to rewarranty a STOCK motor and such is to FIRST assume anything related to a spun bearing could be at fault. That includes all oil carrying components: turbo, oil cooler and lines, all breather tube assy. head, cams, EVERYTHING that sees the same oil as the crank CAN be at fault. Also anything that attaches to the crank and causes stress to the crank (i.e. flywheel/clutch assy.) can also lead to the failure. Not likely...but $500 now, can save thousands later.

It seems that the cheapest solution would by to bring in a whole longblock , turbo, and oil cooler replacement, along with a possible flywheel, and clutch replacement (just in case something was absolutely amiss, causing 'more' stress on the crank bearings) and install a new system.

Good luck with the court action...

jcnel.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

^^^These posts are why the forums exist!^^^ Right on fellas!
Old Mar 2, 2004, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

rant.

BTW,

My rant level just went up two notches, and Mitsu. should also know that dealerships are not really the best place to rebuild ANYTHING related to a performance motor. Dust, fluids, crap, etc...can all contribute to a failed system.

Just letting a tech. rebuild a motor because he 'can,' or 'needs the experience' or 'our dealership needs the 'money' so we'll do it here' is no justification to using a system that can still fail. Or if it fails, should not be something the 'customer' did.

BTW...overrevving in my experience has usually contributed to valve float long before the bottom end does something 'weird.' Floating valves get bent, pistons scored, and a lot of evidence can be gathered on the top end, before the bottom end comes into play. Even the EVO ECU could be used as evidence , I think it can log a few bits of data on what RPM the motor has been at....This may not be entirely conclusive, but its still a step in the right direction to rule out this manager's bogus claim.

Spun bearings are usually due to something 'bad' in the system ... AND how can you consider a system clean just because you ran 'fluid' through the system (probably thinner than the oil used) at probably half the pressure the oil pump is capable of producing? Spun bearings don't have to have 'something ' go through them to spin, they can have a cavity plugged really, really, really, far away, and then because they run dry or 'lean' (still some oil) then they'll spin.

This situation just sounds like all basises were not covered by the dealer before the EVO went out, and now they're trying to push it back onto the customer, and claim him as a culprit.

In fact in my engineering career (electrical and systems) it is my experience that good / careful planning + a little buffer zone up front in what you're doing carries a long way into how the product comes out in the end.

Personally, I think this tech. and his dealership failed. In fact if the person who started this thread could bring some pics of the dealership (and its service dept.) that would be wonderful. I would like to see the area where they 'rebuild' the motors. In fact I wonder if the motor was actually taken 'out' of the car for the rebuild.

This reminds me of a friend that has a Mitsu. van in for repair right now. He's had four rebuilds (his own money) on a 4g635 motor. (Cousin to the 4g63). This last rebuild, he bought a long block so that he can start anew. When the broken motor came out, he measured (at a machine shop) the specs. on the motor and found that the journals (alignment) to be out of FACTORY spec.

Interesting...

In all the EVO 4g63 really is a bulletproof design...when the correct planning is taken to keep the system in check.

jcnel.

Quick Reply: Evo Engine Failure x 2, lemon?