Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Engine Failure x 2, lemon?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow man, i'm sorry to hear about that guy's attitude towards you. You definitely have a case for filing a lawsuit w/ the cause of action being a buyback/reimbursement of the vehicle. You should also have harrassment charges filed. Did you have anyone with you when you went to the dealership? You might be able to get Corp. HQ to rebuild the engine again and/or buy back the car by having an attorney draft a letter to send to their process servers, so that one of the higher ups gets a hold of it. please mark this site, ThomblazeEVO8, it will provide you with info. on who the secretray of state is for your state (Or where you bought the car), and also provide you with info. on who the process server is for that corporation. http://www.nrai.com/dynamic_frame.asp?page=research
Old Mar 2, 2004, 07:20 PM

Thumbs up Wow...

First, let me say Big-up and thanks to everyone posting their advice, recommendations and support. Considering I haven't posted here enough to be considered a well known member, I am moved by your rather poignant replies.

If only I could have had some of you guys in the lil' office with that Corp shirt. What he said was absolutely off the cuff and even though I didn't have the know or experience to challenge his blanket statement, just that mere question of why he thought I over revved it and to point out to me how he come to that conclusion yeilded not "technical" response just a "well I've never seen this happen in an Evo" and "in my experience...this is the result of over revving".

Denom: Thanks for all the links. I got 'em book marked and will review them tomorrow.

OnlineAlias: Thanks for your offer of support. If you really serious give me shout about what you think you can lend in the way of advice or something. I'm a neophyte on a learning curve with engine tech and I'm researching attorney options now. Got anything more to add, I'm open. Thanks for you input.

JoeyCoates: I'll keep you abreast of the developments as they unfold and will continue to post for as long as you all are open to my experience as I move this along. I'll be printing this entire thread since there has been great info posted here and can help me as I build my case. BTW, I only an addition 1000 miles after the new short block was put in.

jcnel_evo8: Thanks for the offer on the headlight. I won't be ready just yet. Gotta work on this thing before I can even think about getting that front end fixed. Good lookin' out though.

Mark (Turbotrix): Thanks dude for sure. It is highly likely that I will be contacting you because I will need some help. Give a few days to get myself together a bit and I'll call you and pick your brain if you don't mind.

Thanks again to everyone for your continued feedback. What type of attorney would be best for this type of case (consumer protection, etc) and what type of retainer, fees, etc am I looking at?

I'm going to start looking into these things tomorrow just haven't had time to today just yet. Just been working out a strategy with the wife on what to do with the car at this point. My local dealer offered (of course) to fix again but since I plan to sue and it's highly possible they may have missed something themselves since the Evo is so new here in the US...that will not be a good thing I guess. I'll likely have it towed back to my home over the next couple of days. Looking for me feedback. Thanks!

I agree with OnlineAlias...this is truly what forums exist for!

Regards,

T
Old Mar 2, 2004, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, how much you wanna bet that they DID NOT flush the oil cooler or the turbo lubrication lines after the first failure.

EDIT: Oops, I see someone else posted a similar response.

Ideally the oil cooler should be replaced but you can have them flushed. I've used Pacific Oil Cooler out in LA. They do FAA certified work on oil coolers and intercoolers. If a flushed oil cooler is good enough to put in an aircraft, it's good enough for my car.

Last edited by propellerhead; Mar 2, 2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Lets all goto Stohlman and protest >=(
Old Mar 2, 2004, 09:06 PM

Dealer warranty work

Dude, I feel for you. First you get ****ed by Rockville, now Stohlman. Pretty soon we won't be able to step into any of the dealerships around here.

I have a related question for anyone who might know: if you have something that breaks, like Blaze's first engine failure, and it is covered by the warranty, are you required to let the dealer do the work? I know for non-warranty stuff, like when you have an accident, the insurance co has to let you get it fixed where you want, but I'm not sure if warranty coverage for part failures is the same. Anyone know?

Lacoste
Old Mar 2, 2004, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

T, That really sucks dude and sorry to hear that again! Keep us updated please

Lacoste, I know for like oil changes and stuff... as long as you receive the receipt and then it doesn't become a problem in the future...

well, it might be different in a case like engire failure...
Old Mar 3, 2004, 05:27 AM
Former Sponsor

One more thing ,,

I dont know if you have or not , but contact the Mitsu rep. There is probably one for that state. I would call another mitsu dealer and find out his name. My bet is he was never notified of your condition. I would tell him your intent and see if he would do anything for you. As hiring a lawyer and going to court would be more expensive then if you bought a brand new motor. Feel free to call me with questions

Mark
Turbotrix
Old Mar 3, 2004, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ultor
Lets all goto Stohlman and protest >=(
I'm up for that they would **** if 20 evos pulled up for just one guy.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by OnlineAlias
Hell dood, overrevving wouldn't even cause that problem. A spun bearing? The first thing to go would be your valves! Yer shirt guy needs to get a lesson in physics and engine repair.

I am a new car Evo owner. This is bull****. I feel your pain and will consider, as an owner, that is doing this to me too. Whatever I can do to help in your quest I will...
NO that could happen if he down shifted into the wrong gear and let the clutch out. But it spun a bearing because of meatle shavings that were still in the oil lines, oil cooler and The Oil Pump.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 07:09 AM

Yeah, you and Ultor are on to something. Let's do that. . Jump over to DCEvo to see my reply. Thanks.

Originally posted by evo 8 ya

I'm up for that they would **** if 20 evos pulled up for just one guy.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

OH Man! Take pictures of THAT!
Old Mar 3, 2004, 07:58 AM

And this is why Mitsubishi will be out of business in five years. This is no way to treat a customer driving your company's FLAGSHIP. And people here wonder why people are dumping Evos? If something breaks, and you can't get to honor the warranty you paid for, why keep the car? I still wonder how these snakes sleep at night.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Why is it US Mitsu is so pathetic, and elsewhere in the world they are regarded better than or atleast equal to the mediocre Audi, BMW and other overpriced manufacturers (from highly paid and benefited labor).
Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:01 AM

Good question...go figure. Customer service seems to be first but in actually is horribly last when it should count the most.

For the record...for those of us in the DC/VA/MD area, the Factory Rep/District Manager guy that denied my repairs is Bill Adams. He is over district D4 out here which covers about 14 dealers.

Remember that name gents. This guy is not a nice person deal with and "some" of the folks up and MMC in Ca are definitely drinking from the pot that guy is.

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
Why is it US Mitsu is so pathetic, and elsewhere in the world they are regarded better than or atleast equal to the mediocre Audi, BMW and other overpriced manufacturers (from highly paid and benefited labor).
Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:46 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
This idiot guy that denied your claim without proper research pisses me off. I hope there is proof they used the wrong parts and he gets canned.

Mitsubishi, I know you are reading this. If this is how you treat your customers, than you can guarantee my next car will be a Subaru WRX STi. I sure don't want to get screwed by a crook like Bill Adams. You better make this right! The owner of this car did nothing wrong.

Quick Reply: Evo Engine Failure x 2, lemon?