Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wierd noise when I let off in high gear.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd noise when I let off in high gear.

Only does it in 5th and 4th, almost like a rattling noise.
Can anyone help? Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoU7X...ature=youtu.be
Old Dec 23, 2013, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it when you're in gear? Or just going fast?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
Is it when you're in gear? Or just going fast?
Its when i'm in gear cruising and just let off the throttle. It sounds like a rattle, like maybe the exhaust hitting something.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

I have noticed this in my car as well. I'm pretty sure it's just vibrations somewhere, but not worth spending countless hours locating it.

I've come to realize a few years ago that when you mess with cars you become very paranoid to the slightest of noises lol
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

hmm I just watched your video though and that sounds a little worse than unworthy engine vibrations.

does it occur with engine speed or vehicle speed?

I'd go through and check your wheel bearings, ball joints, and tie rod ends just to eliminate that or find a possible cause.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Supergoslow
hmm I just watched your video though and that sounds a little worse than unworthy engine vibrations.

does it occur with engine speed or vehicle speed?

I'd go through and check your wheel bearings, ball joints, and tie rod ends just to eliminate that or find a possible cause.
If I apply any throttle at all it goes away, Only in 4th or 5th gear at cruising speed and i let off the throttle.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i cant hear it that well but do you have a performance clutch in your car? my clutch makes a **** load of chatter when i let off at higher speeds.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by tbaird58
i cant hear it that well but do you have a performance clutch in your car? my clutch makes a **** load of chatter when i let off at higher speeds.
I just bought the car, so im not sure if if its the stock clutch or not.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, the rattle you hear is not all that uncommon in Evo's. In most cars that have this issue, you also hear a slight rattling noise when the car is parked & idling...that noise gets louder if you turn on the AC compressor. If you press the clutch pedal in though when it's parked & idling, that noise immediately goes away. On the freeway like you describe (45mph-ish+ in 4th/5th, the noise is ONLY brought on by releasing the throttle - steady cruising/accelerating has no abnormal noises).

Here's the thing - in 8 years of trying to track the source of this problem I've come up mostly dry for the most part. There are COUNTLESS threads on here where members ask this same question. The closest I think I've come to finding the most logical answer is that the source of this problem lies with the clutch release bearing as the producer of this rattling noise. Most likely, the cars that produce this noise are ones where the clutch fork is not positioning the release bearing correctly either due to a poor quality control of the clutch fork (most likely), the bell housing where the fork itself attaches (less likely), or lastly, possibly the slave cylinder (less likely). My money would be on the clutch fork.

I'm not claiming that this is 100% the reason why your car makes this noise, but in my years of searching for the answer has brought me to believe the problem lies here..
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
OP, the rattle you hear is not all that uncommon in Evo's. In most cars that have this issue, you also hear a slight rattling noise when the car is parked & idling...that noise gets louder if you turn on the AC compressor. If you press the clutch pedal in though when it's parked & idling, that noise immediately goes away. On the freeway like you describe (45mph-ish+ in 4th/5th, the noise is ONLY brought on by releasing the throttle - steady cruising/accelerating has no abnormal noises).

Here's the thing - in 8 years of trying to track the source of this problem I've come up mostly dry for the most part. There are COUNTLESS threads on here where members ask this same question. The closest I think I've come to finding the most logical answer is that the source of this problem lies with the clutch release bearing as the producer of this rattling noise. Most likely, the cars that produce this noise are ones where the clutch fork is not positioning the release bearing correctly either due to a poor quality control of the clutch fork (most likely), the bell housing where the fork itself attaches (less likely), or lastly, possibly the slave cylinder (less likely). My money would be on the clutch fork.

I'm not claiming that this is 100% the reason why your car makes this noise, but in my years of searching for the answer has brought me to believe the problem lies here..
Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

diff noise?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by GEOFF[4G63]
diff noise?
No, I dont think so..
Old Dec 24, 2013, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Any problems with diff/tcase will be a constant noise that will increase in pitch & volume directly tied to speed.. More noise & higher pitch as the speed increases..
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been trying to track down a very similar noise. The noise is only during declaration while in gear, any gear. The slightest throttle input, or pressing the clutch pedal makes the noise stop. I have an aftermarket clutch, but the noise didn't start until months after the clutch instal. I had the t-case rebuilt, and it had no affect on the noise. I have gone over the car many many times looking for anything that could be vibrating against something else, but everything seems tight, and the exhaust has a good amount of clearance all around it. After some research, and talking to a trans shop, I believe its the transmission input shaft bearing, maybe?

Last edited by talonkev; Dec 27, 2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WW-GSR

Well said.

Quick Reply: Wierd noise when I let off in high gear.