Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo Rattle.... Yet another thread..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Rattle.... Yet another thread..

Tried to see if anyone had a solution or some knowledge, but the videos I've seen aren't the same noise that I have...

The Car drives perfect fine. There's Oil in the motor, and fluids in both Trans and TC. I noticed the sound the other day whenever she went to change gears I hear this crazy WHIRL sound like a bearing or something.... Car drives fine, I even had her WOT real quick and runs fine with no hesitation. However the noise can be heard on Idle.

When I lightly step on the the clutch, the noise in gone. I also don't hear it if it's in gear and driving only between shifts and idle.

I also had her drive down the street and take it up to 5K press and hold the clutch and you can hear that grinding/whirl sound as the RPM's drop then as it idles you hear the thud thud thud, as you can hear in the video.

Last night i went underneath and popped the TOB off the wave clip and sure enough you STILL hear the sound with the TOB not touching the wave clip.

I'm stumped and can't figure it out. Yes my twin is very noisy since day 1.... Any help and suggestions will be great. It has over 1500 Miles on the Twin. No signs of any tranny/tc issues no metal shavings in the oil, nothing that I can find out without tearing it apart.

Video below.

Old Dec 25, 2013, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its really hard to tell from the video, so you have drained the tranny and transfer case? try draining the engine oil through a paint strainer if you haven't already.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 1UpMoto
Its really hard to tell from the video, so you have drained the tranny and transfer case? try draining the engine oil through a paint strainer if you haven't already.
No i haven't car only has about 1500 since the clutch and fluids. Everything is topped off. Try watching in HD? It's hard to tell in the video but there's some knocking sound.

Also just drove it right now, on Decel it makes a crazy sound definitely wasn't there before. This noise just started the other day.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well your next step would be to drain the fluids and look for metal shavings/chunks. Check the magnets when you pull the drain plugs. Its pretty much impossible to diagnose a car off of just sound alone, there is a million things that can go wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

No doubt it's the clutch, what clutch is it exactly?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
No doubt it's the clutch, what clutch is it exactly?
Exedy Twin... It's just odd the Trans is New, the TC is New, fluids are new. The Car hasn't been driven hard.

It sounds like somewhere within the clutch something isn't aligned to the tranny? Like one of the clutch disk teeth got jacked up? (I'm just taking wild guesses here)

I'll drain the fluids this weekend and check for shavings. Drove the car yesterday over a hour worth of stop and go driving and the car drives and clutch engages perfectly fine. Both low and high rpm's

I know I know, I probably shouldn't drive it like that as I can be harming the car. I do have spare parts to replace if something fails.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Possible input shaft bearing? I know you said the trans was new, but sometimes things can be bad right out of the box. Food for thought.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 06:32 PM

I would think it's the clutch, take it in to a good shop to find out. Hopefully all it needs is an adjustment. (when i push in the clutch it's gone)
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
It sounds like a bit of belt whine to me. I'm not sure why pulling on the clutch would dampen it out. Have you checked for crank walk?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
It sounds like a bit of belt whine to me. I'm not sure why pulling on the clutch would dampen it out. Have you checked for crank walk?
Honestly, I was thinking about this but didn't want to lol.....

Is there a way I can check without removing the pan?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaKennyBody
Honestly, I was thinking about this but didn't want to lol.....

Is there a way I can check without removing the pan?
Dial indicator on end of crank.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't check the car out today but I will tomorrow.... Started it up today to see where the noise is more directed to... from the Trans or Block... and it does sound like it's coming from the Block.

But how would applying toe pressure to the clutch eliminate the noise? I'm starting to believe I may have ran into Crankwalk =\

Even if let's say it's ROD knock, it would do it consistently,...... tomorrow I'm going to drop the pan and see what I can find out underneath
Old Dec 29, 2013, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

No reason to pull the pan. How long has the new clutch and trans been in the car? Did it start making this noise as soon as the new parts were installed?