Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VIII not getting fuel. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VIII not getting fuel. Please Help.

Hello there. I just registered and have not been able to find all the information I need regarding my problem. My brothers car wont start after cold weather (0-10 degrees F). It still cranks hard but no start. At first we though maybe the fuel was getting frozen so we but a heater under the hood and gas tank. Did not work. Sorry if the answer is elsewhere I could not find it. Here are what we had tested.

1. Fuel pump removed and test with 12v source. It spit gas out at me.
2. Single spark plug pulled and tested for arc. Arcs ok.
3. All fuses under hood tested. Test OK.
4. All fuses under dash tested Ok.
5. Tested 5 pin fuel pump assembly connector for voltage when turning the car to the ON position without trying to start. Not getting any voltage from the pins running into the pump.

Could it be a relay? Thanks for any suggestions and please be specific because this isnt my car so i dont know where everything on it is and was unable to find a service manual.

Last edited by phil128; Dec 27, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be really really hard for fuel to freeze unless it has water in it. do not only test the fuel pump like that, the fuel pump might still be working but not making enough pressure. how long has the car been sitting ? test the fuel pressure directly from the schrader valve.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Maybe check your fuel pressure regulator.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 06:13 PM

Check your battery with a multimeter? Could be not enough crank volts for the weather.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by adriano_917
It would be really really hard for fuel to freeze unless it has water in it. do not only test the fuel pump like that, the fuel pump might still be working but not making enough pressure. how long has the car been sitting ? test the fuel pressure directly from the schrader valve.
Daily driven. Why would I test for fuel pressure when the fuel pump is not even receiving power?

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
Maybe check your fuel pressure regulator.
Could a bad FPR be cutting power for the pump even at turn on. If so, how would I check this?

Originally Posted by gho5tone
Check your battery with a multimeter? Could be not enough crank volts for the weather.
I have checked the battery as well and charged it fully at 2 amps for several hours. It's cranking fast and strong. Again, the fuel pump is receiving no power when I turn the key to ON.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Fuel pump removed and test with 12v source. It spit gas out at me, ok read it wrong. check all your fuses under the dash and under the hood and if everything seems to be good check your 3 relays. no check engine light ? if all checks out check you crank position sensor many evos had had this problem before.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Here you go
Attached Thumbnails Evo VIII not getting fuel. Please Help.-fuelpressurerelay-wiring.jpg  
Old Dec 28, 2013, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Op I have the same issue.when temperature drops below 5* it's cranking but not firing.I have to maps E85/93 injectors are 1000cc.all I can think off either fuel too cold to ignite or injectors are not scaled properly for such temperature.I'll try to put some sort of additive to the tank for cold temperatures.I don't know what esle to do.have no garage so it sits outside.