Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Noob question?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob question?

What do I need to use evoscan?
Tactrix cable, software, open port adapter?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Tactrix cable and a laptop.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdii-cables

http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Pick one, either will work. Good luck, and enjoy tuning. It's super addictive though :]
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by jrainwater
http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdii-cables

http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Pick one, either will work. Good luck, and enjoy tuning. It's super addictive though :]
I'm confused. There's different ones for different purposes? Or they all work the same. What do you recommend? Want to make sure I have the right things before I purchase. Thanks.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Both the 1.3 and 2.0 cables work fine for an VIII/IX. The X requires the 2.0 cable.

I've always used the 1.3 on mine, and just acquired a 2.0 for the standalone logging it can do.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Raptord
Both the 1.3 and 2.0 cables work fine for an VIII/IX. The X requires the 2.0 cable.

I've always used the 1.3 on mine, and just acquired a 2.0 for the standalone logging it can do.
Cool thanks. Anything else I should purchase?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry I was not more clear earlier and just gave a generic answer. I was trying to be helpful. I have both the 1.3 and the 2.0 as well and I would say for all around tuning the 1.3u cable is a better choice because it works with both ecuflash and evoscan "live" tuning. The 2.0 is not compatible with evoscan's live tuning option which is a very helpful tool for tuning without having to go through tons of data logs. As far anything else you might need I would get an omni 4 bar or jdm map sensor so you have a way of logging boost. There's threads on here that Mychailo made about how to install and calibrate both of those map sensors, just search for them. Other then that a decent laptop and you're set.

Last edited by jrainwater; Dec 28, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im glad someone posted this thread. Im looking for a cable as well and am trying to decide on the right one for my needs. Im looking for something that can go into the acd system and bleed the system, clear and read fault codes, perform basic diagnostics and basically act like a good scan tool. I would like to be able to log values from it, but I don't think I will be using it for tuning so much, at least not yet.

From what Ive gathered, the 1.3U fits the bill. The 1.3R seems to be similar to the 1.3U but doesn't have the licensed software, so that means you have to use openport? Again, I think it seems better for me to go 1.3U. The 2.0 doesn't work with the gps navi, which looks like an awesome unit that I may later want. All these allow for you to tune your car I imagine, and I believe it looks like the 1.3U fits my needs. Can anyone confirm that I read the evoscan website correctly and if so then would you recommend the 1.3U for my needs? Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

You should get the 1.3u cable for your needs. I originally bought the R cable thinking Ahh I will save $30, dumb idea. It didn't work with newer versions of ecuflash. So then I bought the OP2.0 and now I'm set, with two cables though. Just get the 1.3u the first time and that is all you will ever need. There is a way to use the R cable with ecuflash but it involves switching between an old version of ecuflash for flashing and a new version of ecuflash for making Rom changes. Such a pain in the ****.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by jrainwater
You should get the 1.3u cable for your needs. I originally bought the R cable thinking Ahh I will save $30, dumb idea. It didn't work with newer versions of ecuflash. So then I bought the OP2.0 and now I'm set, with two cables though. Just get the 1.3u the first time and that is all you will ever need. There is a way to use the R cable with ecuflash but it involves switching between an old version of ecuflash for flashing and a new version of ecuflash for making Rom changes. Such a pain in the ****.
Thanks. Just the answer I was looking for.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

No problem, glad I could help out. I got into tuning my own car because I got sick of shelling out $200-$300 for a retune every time I changed something out on my car. It's nice to learn and be able to make changes yourself. The cable will pay for itself the first time you use it like 4 times over lol. I was going to a shop for retunes and much to my dismay I found out all they were doing each of those times was tuning the fuel map and that was it. I downloaded my Rom from my car and all the maps were stock except for the fuel map. All other maps like mivec and timing and all of it was stock still :-/ don't get me wrong, there are some amazing shops out there for tuning your car and they add a ton of value to a pro tune with their experience, just not the place I was going. Being able to pull my own Rom taught me it was time to learn to tune my own car and to not go back to that shop ever again. Good luck!!!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OPENA(671)
Cool thanks. Anything else I should purchase?
I mentioned the map sensor but forgot to mention you need a wideband o2 sensor as well for tuning. I kind of thought that was just assumed but I wanted to make sure to add that as well. You need to know what your AFR's are while tuning. Super important obviously lol.