Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why should i buy an evo???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why should i buy an evo???

Hey all. Now before you get your pitchforks and torches and get ready to throw them at me hear me out. I am a diehard dsm fan. Currently my DD is an 04 lancer ralliart. I love the car and have almost put on 100k miles while owning it. Love the car but sadly it just isn't enough. Modified mildly but you can't fix fwd and I just don't see the point in throwing anymore money at car that is not designed to be a race car. Currently I am about to head off to Afghanistan being a member of the Wisconsin army national guard. I am starting my research now for my welcome home toy. For a long time I have drooled over evos and finally I might have one. This doesn't mean I will as there are other options out there. Namely subarus. I am coming here to get some additional convincing that an evo is the car for me. Obviously I know only I can make that choice but I am looking to see why others chose the evo. My requirements for my next car is simple awd and turbocharged with a Market that has easy access to modifying. Awd is necessary for Wisconsin winters and this will be my new dd with me still holding onto the ralliart for long trips and for my wife. My preferred evo is a IX MR but I am nervous about getting a six speed with all of the fourth gear issues. So enough blabbing out of me. If you have anything to say please tell me why in depth you went the direction you went and if I would get an evo what trim. I am a huge fan of acd but I know there are Individuals out there that recommend otherwise. Side note I plan on trying to keep this thread going for the whole year I am gone and I will use it to provide much needed sanity and the light at the end of the tunnel I am sure to need. Thanks guys.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Personally I went with evo 8 it's cheaper,no acd,and no 6 speed tranny.simple bolt ons like e9 turbo makes it as fast as e9.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:21 PM
Evolving Member

I like the sti as a stock daily better than the evo. I love the sound of the boxer and the fact that you can launch the **** out of it in stock form. I also love the way it looks and feels. That being said I knew getting into a car like the sti/evo I would want to modify and start making real power. The evo is invariably a better platform for modifications. For very little money you can get up to the 400wtq (loosely known as the limit for the stock block). The cast iron block(if built properly) can handle 1000whp. Something that the ****ty aluminum boxer sti motor could only dream of doing. Check out the youtube videos of someone tearing down the sti motor and you will see why they are so weak.

Knowing that I wanted to go fast pointed me in the direction of the evo. The trim level I chose is the evo 8 ssl. The evo 8 is cheaper (picked mine up for $15k with 44k miles) and can be easily modified to make the same power as a 9. The ssl reflects that daily my car and absolutely hate the blue cloth interior of the gsr. MR was never an option for me because you are paying more for a ****ty 6 speed and some suspension. I wanted coil-overs any way so I really couldn't see the benefit of getting an MR.

In conclusion I like both cars for different reasons. Just be true to yourself about your goals with the car. Are you keeping it stock or do you want to go fast? If you do decide on the evo I recommend driving all of the different trims to see which one you like.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 03:35 PM

why do you need 5 threads asking if you should buy an evo? if you need to ask yourself or anyone else this many times then you shouldn't own one.

Old Dec 29, 2013, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stop making these.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

You should buy a Subaru so i won't have to see any more useless threads about "should I choose Evo or STi, Colgate or Crest, Charmin or Angel Soft." There are like 15 threads on this same topic bro. You're going to get a biased answer nonetheless.

Research research research, you've been a member on this site for like 5 years.
You should know better. You have an entire year to do a pro vs con decision making analysis of both vehicles.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have to ask you don't want one.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Evos are overrated.....
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evotuner04
Evos are overrated.....
Ok Ron
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evoforstevo
Ok Ron
Bahahaha. I love evos!!!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:54 AM

if you are such a DSM person or 4G63 lover why is a subi even in your thoughts. good luck over seas and return safe!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

If you have to ask...buy something else.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ak47po
If you have to ask...buy something else.
This
Old Dec 31, 2013, 09:01 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy Javelin
You should buy a Subaru so i won't have to see any more useless threads about "should I choose Evo or STi, Colgate or Crest, Charmin or Angel Soft." There are like 15 threads on this same topic bro. You're going to get a biased answer nonetheless.

Research research research, you've been a member on this site for like 5 years.
You should know better. You have an entire year to do a pro vs con decision making analysis of both vehicles.

Go test drive one. Find out for yourself.

Last edited by chu; Dec 31, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

All I can say, good luck owning a Subaru. I've own plenty in my lifetime and never again. They are too *****y about upgrading parts...even so, stock stuff is bound to break before 50k miles. Haven't had an issue with my IX. I drive it harder than my previous STi. Three things I hate about the EVO, 1. Turning radius sux, 2. Turbo lag from stock turbo, and 3. front end ghost clunk.

STi...I have a laundry list of crap I disliked about it. Although, there were some good parts to the STi, but all the negative overcame all the few positive things.

Maybe I got a lemon on 4 of the subarus I've owned.

Quick Reply: Why should i buy an evo???