Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaj
A IX with the parts you listed will get you around 310-320whp depending on which pump gas you have avail. It takes a nice set of cams and injectors to get near 350. Unless you were ruined on a Dynapak.
Next time I'm at my car (or at my house) I'll take a pic of the dyno sheet. It was tuned by English Racing and I'm at something like 348.9 whp. It might've had cams or injectors when I bought it but I haven't checked into that. I probably will, now that you mention it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:36 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by SyHS
Next time I'm at my car (or at my house) I'll take a pic of the dyno sheet. It was tuned by English Racing and I'm at something like 348.9 whp. It might've had cams or injectors when I bought it but I haven't checked into that. I probably will, now that you mention it.
That would be a nice surprise. I once bought an engine for one of my cars. I was turning seriously fast lap times. One day I went to do a valve adjustment and found a set of really big cams. You never know.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
That would be a nice surprise. I once bought an engine for one of my cars. I was turning seriously fast lap times. One day I went to do a valve adjustment and found a set of really big cams. You never know.
Ya, getting me excited, haha. I have heard of people getting factory freaks also, where they are just all around stronger then some. It was on stock tune w/ those parts at around 290 whp. the tune made it feel like a completely different car.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:45 AM
kaj

Ya, getting me excited, haha. I have heard of people getting factory freaks also, where they are just all around stronger then some. It was on stock tune w/ those parts at around 290 whp. the tune made it feel like a completely different car.
I'd have to check my files to see what mine did stock, but these cars aren't even rated at 290bhp from the factory, so something is off. What dyno were you using?

As for the topic, those last couple of posts summed things up very well and I'd guess anyone who has owned both cars would tell you the same. Unless you go over to NASIOC. I'm not sure any of them would admit to an Evo being faster nor more reliable. They are a faithful bunch.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
I'd have to check my files to see what mine did stock, but these cars aren't even rated at 290bhp from the factory, so something is off. What dyno were you using?

As for the topic, those last couple of posts summed things up very well and I'd guess anyone who has owned both cars would tell you the same. Unless you go over to NASIOC. I'm not sure any of them would admit to an Evo being faster nor more reliable. They are a faithful bunch.
Sorry for jacking the thread! English Racing tuned it on a Dynojet. They (and I) were expecting around 315-320 whp with the tune, but they got almost 350 out of it.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:40 PM
kaj

Sorry for jacking the thread! English Racing tuned it on a Dynojet. They (and I) were expecting around 315-320 whp with the tune, but they got almost 350 out of it.
nice. next time you have that valve cover opened...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol you certainly did! especially the fact that theres a PM option
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:02 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by wowzers
Lol you certainly did! especially the fact that theres a PM option
Not like this thread is going anywhere else.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

^^^True that. Ask an Evo site what should I buy and they say Evo. Ask a subby site and they say STI. Big shocker there.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:44 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by jrainwater
^^^True that. Ask an Evo site what should I buy and they say Evo. Ask a subby site and they say STI. Big shocker there.
pretty much. however, i've been on both forums and the reasons for the Evo being better seem to be a bit more scientific than why the Suby guys say the STi is better.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
pretty much. however, i've been on both forums and the reasons for the Evo being better seem to be a bit more scientific than why the Suby guys say the STi is better.
Coming from both worlds I would have to say that it depends on what you want out of the car. If I could manage to make evo power with the easy ability to work on the car like an evo in a STI i would have stuck with my STI.

The more daily friendly and practical car is the STI of both cars.. the compromise is an Evo X. The subaru is in all honesty a more refined and grown up car with better ergonomics and more comfortable drive overall even at the track.

If you are looking for a more raw car for a weekend track car or dedicated motorsports project then an evo fits the bill. Raw, sharp and agressive while 'reasonable' enough to drive daily. Things like cheap (well the cheaper of the two compared to the sti) interior, lots of cabin noise, lots of mechanical noise and comparitively harder drive (which can be a good thing for a motorsports shell to start with).

I have been quoted as saying on many sites when this topic comes up..... "Its like the difference between a stripper and a ballerina, they both do basically the same think just very differently!"
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:50 AM
kaj

agreed. as i menioned earlier in the thread: my Subaru was much more comfortable to drive, especially on long trips. it just wasn't fun or "sharp" enough for me.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 06:10 PM

get which ever one you like i had an 07 sti have and 14 sti and im trying to get an evo 9 now
Old Apr 16, 2014, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Not like this thread is going anywhere else.
Lol thats true…

Im certain the best way to resolve this is to have a professional driver and reviewer make a call…

and to be honest, its been done HEAPS of times on Youtube by many presenters.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:30 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by wowzers
Lol thats true…

Im certain the best way to resolve this is to have a professional driver and reviewer make a call…

and to be honest, its been done HEAPS of times on Youtube by many presenters.
i think OP is deployed and probably won't even be replying any more LOL. anyway.. yeah the cars have been reviewed a LOT. even the pros can't decide, sometimes. hopefully OP gets a chance to drive each then make a decision.

i'm glad i've owned my Subaru, though only for a short time. i no longer need to wonder, "would i like the Subaru better?". i found the answer to my question.

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help