Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
i think OP is deployed and probably won't even be replying any more LOL. anyway.. yeah the cars have been reviewed a LOT. even the pros can't decide, sometimes. hopefully OP gets a chance to drive each then make a decision.

i'm glad i've owned my Subaru, though only for a short time. i no longer need to wonder, "would i like the Subaru better?". i found the answer to my question.
Im pretty sure it has been decided…

the only one with the grey area was an episode on Top Gear UK, where the EVO raped the STI in every aspect but that Hammond bloke just said at the end…"i would just choose the STI".

The only thing i can see (not that I've owned an STI)… is the fact that majority of them have cruise control.

Not that we would buy this type of car to use cruise control… but id imagine that its handy to have… rather than the EVO…not having it at all.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wowzers
Im pretty sure it has been decided…

the only one with the grey area was an episode on Top Gear UK, where the EVO raped the STI in every aspect but that Hammond bloke just said at the end…"i would just choose the STI".

The only thing i can see (not that I've owned an STI)… is the fact that majority of them have cruise control.

Not that we would buy this type of car to use cruise control… but id imagine that its handy to have… rather than the EVO…not having it at all.
I'm sure I've said it before but the STi is a better daily driver and as long as you keep it under 350-400 super reliable. There are few quirks but not to the degree that their are with Evo's (at least the 8 and 9)
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:46 AM

since this is a forum, allow me to have my say.

I always feel funny about these posts.

Almost as bad as the one i read on the http://www.skylinesaustralia.com forum.

Some guy asked; I'm thinking of two cars to buy, "R34 GT-R or Evolution IX, which is BETTER?"

Seriously, a No-Brainer question, what do you think the response was?!

Incase its not obvious, The website is an Aussie Skylines forum (that arrange meet ups, cruises etc etc)
The majority of people are under 27 yrs old, lives at home with their parents and owns a R32 GTS, R33 GTS-t, R32 GT-R, R33 GT-R and R34 GT-T. Some of these guy would probably some how get the BNR34 onto their beds and have their way with the car… (with them, on top of course). In other words, No doubt, every skyline owner would WISH and WORSHIP the BNR34.

So the outcome, the EVO got trashed except for 2 people. Majority said it was literally a crappy, Glorified-lancer with a turbo and oversized spoiler. and that the GTR-34 is KING.
and that the GT-R would munch the EVO in all aspects.

in reality, it doesn't… speaking stock vs stock or even Stage 1 vs stage 1. there is no way in heaven, hell or earth can any of the R32, 33 or 34 GT-Rs outperform majority of the EVO from say; V - X…especially on the track.

BUt theres no point arguing with them, its a skyline forum… people there can actually really love and adore their cars.

Try going to a Mustang/corvette V8 forum and ask them "what should i buy, a V8 or a JDM Turbo 4cyl"…
They would probably call you a "ricer" for even considering a JDM… (Ive even seen the R35 GT-R being called a "ricer" by an Internet Keyboard hero on youtube).
Errrm... I'd disagree a bit with this one though. I have read threads similar to this on SAU and most of them are not like what you said where they trash other cars that is not a GT-R or a skyline. And those under 27 are owners of lower variants skyline GTST, GTT (loves to slide) and not a true GT-R (loves grip). That also reflects in the U.K GT-R forum.

Fortunately, I have both Evo and a Skyline GT-R sitting in the garage now, and no I'm not under 27. You said performance wise an Evo V-X stock or stage 1 will be a handful for a stock or stage 1 Skyline GT-R? Well it actually depends on the track. There was a test done by Best Motoring before pitting a BNR34, against the lighter Evo and Sti and still won (all are stock). In my personal experience the Evo is more suited for daily since it has 4 doors, more low end punch, point to shoot on B roads. Some people tell me Evos are ricey looking though even at stock. duh... The Skyline GT-R is my weekend car, high revving w/ its power coming from mid to high, its more of a high way beast which loves wider roads. Oh and besides the fact that Skyline GT-R costs much more than an Evo of the same year, & maintenance is more costly w/ the RB26 and all... Evo has its parts cheaper even at oem!! But the deep distinct high revving RB26 note, 2 door sportscar body, and knowing your driving a car that's part of a bloodline w/c has an out of this world motorsports pedigree. The Skyline GT-R is worth it. Both have fun factors, and I really love them to bits.

Ok enough of that. @rory_j13, I am faced with a similar situation before! I was choosing between an Sti and an Evo. And I chose the latter. Well for starters I like my pistons and cylinder in the right position. lol But seriously they're easier to live with. And Evos are bigger = more roomy too! At least in the CT9A. That was one of the deciding factors as well. But its all up to you coz Stis are very nice reliable cars as well. Just not the bug eyes though since they look like dodge neons! lol

Last edited by Rrrr; Apr 17, 2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:15 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Rrrr
.... and knowing your driving a car that's part of a bloodline w/c has an out of this world motorsports pedigree.
can be said about both cars. i remember this guy named Tommi Makinen...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:41 PM

imo subarus look better but there motors suck *****
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As of this Exact Moment, the STI finally beats the 2008 Model version of the Evo, not as sharp mind you and close enough with it's newer platform I'd still consider finding an Evo IX, much better in terms of performance. Mitsu never properly upgraded the X, get 350HP out of it, maybe spruce up the interior a bit. If you must have an Evo get the latest X MR, very elegant.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 06:51 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
i hear the new STi is a lot better to drive. yeah.. than a six-year-old Evo LOL.

still not the razor-edged performance car i prefer, but it's better than the previous generation STi, according to all the reviews i've read. maybe they are on the right track. now.. if Subaru can make the car smaller and lighter...
Old Apr 18, 2014, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
can be said about both cars. i remember this guy named Tommi Makinen...
Agree. But if you take a look at both their motorsports resume, there's a huge difference. You'll see why people outside Japan called them Godzilla after it dominated and was banned to compete. Actually, the Japanese would always say it is their most successful car line in terms of motosports to date. Not taking anything away from our beloved Evo of course, coz it has proved more than enough as well.

Last edited by Rrrr; Apr 18, 2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 03:51 AM

Well the new Sti is kinda interesting. But I hate how it somewhat copied the look of the Evo x, and that design is already dated to say the least.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

Errrm... I'd disagree a bit with this one though. I have read threads similar to this on SAU and most of them are not like what you said where they trash other cars that is not a GT-R or a skyline. And those under 27 are owners of lower variants skyline GTST, GTT (loves to slide) and not a true GT-R (loves grip). That also reflects in the U.K GT-R forum.

Fortunately, I have both Evo and a Skyline GT-R sitting in the garage now, and no I'm not under 27. You said performance wise an Evo V-X stock or stage 1 will be a handful for a stock or stage 1 Skyline GT-R? Well it actually depends on the track. There was a test done by Best Motoring before pitting a BNR34, against the lighter Evo and Sti and still won (all are stock). In my personal experience the Evo is more suited for daily since it has 4 doors, more low end punch, point to shoot on B roads. Some people tell me Evos are ricey looking though even at stock. duh... The Skyline GT-R is my weekend car, high revving w/ its power coming from mid to high, its more of a high way beast which loves wider roads. Oh and besides the fact that Skyline GT-R costs much more than an Evo of the same year, & maintenance is more costly w/ the RB26 and all... Evo has its parts cheaper even at oem!! But the deep distinct high revving RB26 note, 2 door sportscar body, and knowing your driving a car that's part of a bloodline w/c has an out of this world motorsports pedigree. The Skyline GT-R is worth it. Both have fun factors, and I really love them to bits.

well, let me point out that you don't have to agree to what i say. Nor did you even have to reply or quote my post.

Your haven't specified which "Skyline GT-R"… theres 3 models in the last 3 decades… I'm assuming the BNR34.

Yes i have seen many Best motoring videos. And the BNR34 performance varies…

the first few videos they managed to get the car 12.9 on the quarter. But then they compared it to the 2002 bug-eyed STI and got beat on the quarter at what appears to be mid 13's.

in that episode your referring to, the BNR came out on top over the NSX also… where the NSX always tops the charts in majority of their videos.

"Test"….."depending on the track".. yeh I'm sure you have seen the two videos of the BNR34 V-spec being beat by Toyota Sprinters.

The EVO IX MR achieved 12.6 in stock form also.

Yes a Skyline GT-R does cost more at the same year. So?…As you may know, majority of grey imports have their clocks winded back…. love it or hate it, its a fact.

its wrong that you try and use cost in the equation… The Lambo Gallardo costs 3 times more than the R35 GT-R…. so? it does not mean its a "better" car. You paying for the name & look or you paying for the revolutionary super-car performance?

At the end of the day, i don't think the BNR34 is a bad car.

its a more rare and fancier car than majority of EVOs…but I would personally take an FQ400 over BNR34; N1, V-Spec II M-spec or V-Spec II Nur any day of the year. (probably not the Z-tune of course)

my OPINION in the beginning was, You may as well ask Mustang muscle car forums about JDM……

Last edited by wowzers; Apr 18, 2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Agree. But if you take a look at both their motorsports resume, there's a huge difference. You'll see why people outside Japan called them Godzilla after it dominated and was banned to compete. Actually, the Japanese would always say it is their most successful car line in terms of motosports to date. Not taking anything away from our beloved Evo of course, coz it has proved more than enough as well.

We all know the name,

By the way, the Winfield R32 GT-R that dominated at Bathurst is NOT the same car that it is based on.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
i hear the new STi is a lot better to drive. yeah.. than a six-year-old Evo LOL.

still not the razor-edged performance car i prefer, but it's better than the previous generation STi, according to all the reviews i've read. maybe they are on the right track. now.. if Subaru can make the car smaller and lighter...
Yeah they may be "on the right track" now….

but its been rumoured that Mitsubishi is stepping up the game and aiming the EVO XI to rival the GT-R 35 with Hybrid technology.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:13 PM

well, let me point out that you don't have to agree to what i say. Nor did you even have to reply or quote my post.

Your haven't specified which "Skyline GT-R"… theres 3 models in the last 3 decades… I'm assuming the BNR34.

Yes i have seen many Best motoring videos. And the BNR34 performance varies…

the first few videos they managed to get the car 12.9 on the quarter. But then they compared it to the 2002 bug-eyed STI and got beat on the quarter at what appears to be mid 13's.

in that episode your referring to, the BNR came out on top over the NSX also… where the NSX always tops the charts in majority of their videos.

"Test"….."depending on the track".. yeh I'm sure you have seen the two videos of the BNR34 V-spec being beat by Toyota Sprinters.

The EVO IX MR achieved 12.6 in stock form also.

Yes a Skyline GT-R does cost more at the same year. So?…As you may know, majority of grey imports have their clocks winded back…. love it or hate it, its a fact.

its wrong that you try and use cost in the equation… The Lambo Gallardo costs 3 times more than the R35 GT-R…. so? it does not mean its a "better" car. You paying for the name & look or you paying for the revolutionary super-car performance?

At the end of the day, i don't think the BNR34 is a bad car.

its a more rare and fancier car than majority of EVOs…but I would personally take an FQ400 over BNR34; N1, V-Spec II M-spec or V-Spec II Nur any day of the year. (probably not the Z-tune of course)

my OPINION in the beginning was, You may as well ask Mustang muscle car forums about JDM……
Who said I needed to agree with your post? I was merely replying for the sake of FORUM DISCUSSION and for me to SHARE my actual experience on both cars.

Yeah BMI has have quite different performance results on their tests, but not too much. Independent tests also shows the BCNR33 slower than the BNR32 maybe because of weight, but on paper its supposed to be faster. I don't even think the BMI guys removed the brass boost restrictor on one of boost lines, which is common among S.GTR owners to do to up boost.

I can't remember saying the more expensive car is the better one. As for the tag price I'm not talking a out gray import ones, in Japan price varies the same. And I am NOT using the cost/price equation come to play against the Evo where in fact it can be at an advantage. Heck! I can buy more OEM parts for my Evo than my GTR at the same amount and I'm very happy coz of it!

Just like I said both car brings different flavor, a GT car and a Rally car. Unlike the comparo here of Sti and Evo which are both rally cars.

Last edited by Rrrr; Apr 19, 2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:26 PM

We all know the name,

By the way, the Winfield R32 GT-R that dominated at Bathurst is NOT the same car that it is based on.
? AFAIK its a high hp Skyline GT-R, just like those in JGTC Grp A which is where the road going BNR32 was actually based from.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:34 PM

So what car did the op ended up with?

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help