Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want a good sounding 4banger, get an SRT4.
if you want a car that is easily modded car get the evo. (i would go back and get an ix MR since i dont care for having a lot of power.)

the sti is more comfortable, and looks fairly nice. "bulletproof" tranny..
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

If u plan to keep it fairly stock, under 400hp for a DD get an sti. If you want more power for your money, but willing to deal with headaches along the way to get there, get an evo. I love my evo, but after a couple engines and a turbo, i just want a good DD
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Depends on what you want. If you want a weekend warrior that has power and you don't plan on doing much get an STi.
2.5T is nice on the streets. Honestly that sounds like what you want when you get back.

I got my Evo with plans on time attack in the near future. Both cars have their positives and negatives.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People still ask this question??
Old Dec 29, 2013, 04:25 AM

Man u came on a Evo forum to ask which one to buy....... c'mon man. Ok check it out, you will be getting deployed and the fact that you wanna keep the thread going for some time means u have access to internet. There are tons of forums/threads on here. Take some time, scroll through, read one, or two, or three.....hundred, then do the same on the Subi forum, there you go. Just you, your computer and two forums 7000 miles away from home for a year..... and stay safe over there man...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 09:13 PM

Sounds like you have had a great experience with your lancer you might as well just stick to what you know/like and go with the mitsubishi.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Had an SRT-4....biggest mistake of my life.

Wife daily drives a 300HP STi. Absolutely solid. its our most reliable car.

My evo at 650ish whp is always at the shop.....funny enough for everything but power related issues.

If you plan to keep it around 350 and down then I would go with the STi. Better Daily driver (At least the 08's and up). if you want power. 03-06 Evo. If you want both Evo X.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Magrud3r
If you can afford it with the proper maintenance and whatever else you'd be using it for go for it. I sometimes still think what owning an STi would compare like vs. my evo, but it is really preference and what you'd be using it for.
Using it for fun and transportation lol. But seriously, I plan on 1) doing some serious preventative maintenance (after I find a car I feel safe buying. I don't want something all beat). If I get a six speed that means a cooler setup and a custom temp sensor. 2) oil catch can for engine/turbo longevity 3) anything that makes the turbo spool. Beyond that I am entertaining meth injection but if I make 350awhp/awtq I am happy. That is until my butt gets used to it lol. I want this car to be years of fun and will keep my ralliart and wife's civic so it won't be a true daily driver but I will be using it more than just weekends. Sound like decent logic to my madness?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thahomeboyb
Watch TOP GEAR season 1 I believe it's one of the first six episodes I think if you have netflix you can see. The guy does an EVO VS STI comparison . From what I saw the evo has better handling and handles corners with excellence. He referred to it as one wheel drive on those really sharp corners . The Subaru did not have as good as handling as the evo. It had decent handling in the turns but performed a tad better in the straight aways in acceleration. When they did a track test they evo performed unbelievable and beat the STI's time as well as the Lamborghini and lotus Elise times. ( if those weren't the cars don't get upset I'm going of memory but they are close in comparison ) But I recommend you watch it . The episode is titled EVO VS STI. They spend the first 20 minutes of it on them . My choice would be an evo. (:
One of my all time favorite episodes. I have watched it countless times.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jeremy52048
if you want a good sounding 4banger, get an SRT4. if you want a car that is easily modded car get the evo. (i would go back and get an ix MR since i dont care for having a lot of power.) the sti is more comfortable, and looks fairly nice. "bulletproof" tranny..
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I was always under the impression that sti/wrx have a glass 1st gear. Maybe it is just the wrx w/ 5 speeds but even without that issue I don't plan on launching hard normally but I like having the option. Please no one take offense to this but I despise srt4s. I have many reasons but I'm not here to bash. I like the MR as well I'm one for more options and with the IX I at least already have an understanding of mivec(in a SOHC).

Last edited by rory_j13; Jan 4, 2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alpha1
Man u came on a Evo forum to ask which one to buy....... c'mon man. Ok check it out, you will be getting deployed and the fact that you wanna keep the thread going for some time means u have access to internet. There are tons of forums/threads on here. Take some time, scroll through, read one, or two, or three.....hundred, then do the same on the Subi forum, there you go. Just you, your computer and two forums 7000 miles away from home for a year..... and stay safe over there man...
Of course I did. I am programmed to do what I am told lol. I have read a ton but I agree when it comes to this purchase I can't know too much. ****This comment is not directed at you alpha but for the guys who think my question is dumb don't respond. Sorry I wasted 30 seconds of your life. I am trying to be positive about an unsure period of my life and really just want to dream/learn. In the end yes I am fairly certain the evo is for me but I do plan on checking out the dark side. My fear is when I buy one or the other I will regret it. Luckily evos have crazy resale value so it's not like I am screwed (: One thing to add. I will have Internet access but it will be limited. I can't say why but if I don't respond for a while it just means I'm "busy" giving the world some America.

Last edited by rory_j13; Jan 4, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

I think he was trying to convey that asking the same question 3 times in the same sub forum is pointless and may **** some of the community off. It is comical to see the same question asked by the same poster multiple times.

Surprised the mods haven't deleted the other threads.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:41 PM

The main reason I went with an EVO over an sti was the way the engine is set up. I do a lot of the engine work myself and i am just really unfamiliar with the boxer engine on those things. I would much rather have a traditional style engine that I, myself can work on...and if need be, any reputable shop.

Im in the military as well, so i move a lot and i dont ever want to be put in situation where the closest shop that is able to work on my car is an hour or two away. This was my argument for not going RX7 as well.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:19 PM

Get an evo. You'll regret it if you don't.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gmoneyman
Get an evo. You'll regret it if you don't.
You'll also regret buying one haha, those things are money suckers.

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help