Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice

You'll also regret buying one haha, those things are money suckers.
Hahaha thats very true. But while they are money pits i dont regret for one second buying the evo over a subaru.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by viegasjuice
you'll also regret buying one haha, those things are money suckers.
hell yes
Old Jan 8, 2014, 07:09 AM

i got an evo because of the rarity plus the plenty of posts on making good power on basic bolt-ons and tune. it erks me that imprezas used to look like the STI .. it's better now that there's more distinction between the levels of the subie imprezas/wrx/sti. regardless of evo model, they're monsters either way.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 08:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I currently own 3 subaru's and 1 evo. 97 GC impreza with a jdm v4 complete swap, 02 bugeye with 2.2 stroker and built RA spec trans ( about 400 hp/400 flbs of torque and is a track car) 04 evo 8 with ssl package ( built 2.3 stroker and fully built trans along with stg 3 shep transfer case 784 hp and 606 torque on 85 ) and a 06 sti sitting at 500 built motor 35 r 1.06 hotside ect.

Honestly if you compare the regular evo interior and the sti the sti tends to be slightly nicer material and such ( minus the seats the recaro's are great ). And honestly you really can't go wrong with EITHER car, i personally think the 06-07 sti bodystyle looks great, and i def do love the way the Evo sits with some aggressive wheels on it. SSL package for the evo takes the cake when it comes to a interior though.

I'd say go test drive a few cars and decide what you want after that, i will not comment on things mod wise because either way you have to pay to play its going to be expensive reguardless.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Being completely honest.. V7 STi drives and feels exactly like an EVO. EJ207 with an STi 6-spd is a great combo, pop an 18g and you'll have the perfect daily driver.
The 2.5L is junk, terrible motor. The JDM EJ207 is where it's at.

If you're looking to make power, EVO.
If you're looking for a fun daily you won't cuss at every half second when you need to do a clutch job on.. STi.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:17 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by powerdriver
Being completely honest.. V7 STi drives and feels exactly like an EVO. EJ207 with an STi 6-spd is a great combo, pop an 18g and you'll have the perfect daily driver.
The 2.5L is junk, terrible motor. The JDM EJ207 is where it's at.

If you're looking to make power, EVO.
If you're looking for a fun daily you won't cuss at every half second when you need to do a clutch job on.. STi.

The issue he is going to have with any of the JDM swaps is its impossible to pass the california BAR, you kinda have to beat the system one way or another. 2.5 is not a terrible motor all together, add some pistons and the motor is pretty solid for 400 hp its just you mix the crappy ringlands plus the ****ty tune out of the factory ( and AZ,CA,NV Gas).

Best bet is take a few on test drives and see which you like more, i honestly enjoy driving each of my cars, they all have their perks and downsides .
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:26 AM

Drive both and see which one you like better. I've owned both, and they're both great cars and both have their pros and cons.

If you want to go over 400whp get the evo, if you're looking to stay around the 350whp range get the sti.

Last edited by 2bar_evo; Jan 8, 2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Owned both and tracked both and both are very capable cars. Though I like how Evo feels around the track compared to an STI.

Getting power out of STI is always more expensive than Evo.

Interior of 06 Evo and STI, well STI was nicer inside, but the Evo's Reccaro Seats are hands down better than STI's.

The EJ's are not as forgetting to knock as it is with 4g63's.

Building EJ can be very expensive, x2 of what you'd pay to build an Evo.

STI's tranny is a lot nicer and stronger than Evo's.

Both cars are easy to work on and changing clutch on STI is much easier than on Evo.

2.5L is easier to drive around town with all the low end torque at your disposal, but Evo feels more sporty
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Comfortable=STi

Raw=Evo

Only thing I wish they included with the CT9As is cruise control
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:47 PM

Well if you can find an evo 9 for a reasonable price, I would tell you to go for it. I own an evo 8 and an X. The evo 8 has 183k miles on it. It is with out question the best car I have ever owned. Evo 9s are even better and more easily modifiable. I wouldn't get the MR simply because I prefer the 5 speed and suspension on the standard 9. Its also not worth the money for those upgrades IMHO. Now if you want to be practical, get a new evo X GSR. It definitely is not as fun as the older evos, but it is still a lot of fun and will last you a very long time. I personally would not get a Subaru unless you need the wagon version for hauling things. That IMO is the only reason to buy a subaru over a mitsu. I have talked to several subaru owners and it is typical for engines to go around the 100K mark. Even none modified ones. Mitsu's are far more reliable.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:17 PM

Get a evo 9 and u would be happy.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Boosted civic FTW. everything people prefer in the STI over the evo(which is preference) is easily fixed.

For example, general consensus is STI interior> EVO interior(I completely DISAGREE).
You can do simple interior upgrades or buy and SSL like I have.
Next is Stronger trans, get a shep upgraded trans. Done.
The STI, on the other hand can't do anything about not having anywhere near as stout of a motor as the 4g63 is. Stock vs stock or built vs built, the 4g63 prevails.
Also the evo has a much better go-kart feel compared to the sti which understeers worse.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Literally the only and only reason id ever buy an Sti, would be if i was going to purely DD it purely stock. They make more torque which is the biggest factor, and are debatably more civilized. But if you have an ambition at modifying your car, then the evo is a hands down better choice. More power per dollar and you won't be replacing shortblocks likes its a normal maintenance item.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Dump 5 thousand dollars in the engine of an evo. Do the same to the subawho. Get ready to see evo tail lights. Takes a lot more to get the power to the ground with a subaru. If you want a fun car with just some bolt ons either car would be fine. Of course everyone on here would still pick an evo cause they are better lol. But if you want a race car, and want to use saved money to make more power just buy an evo for sure. Just not a X MR. that will only get you in the same boat of a subaru.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S.Brewer
Dump 5 thousand dollars in the engine of an evo. Do the same to the subawho. Get ready to see evo tail lights. Takes a lot more to get the power to the ground with a subaru. If you want a fun car with just some bolt ons either car would be fine. Of course everyone on here would still pick an evo cause they are better lol. But if you want a race car, and want to use saved money to make more power just buy an evo for sure. Just not a X MR. that will only get you in the same boat of a subaru.
Right. And I hope OP isn't getting the idea where a bunch of stuck up evo owners who hate subarus. I like subarus. We all faced the same decision at one point(evo or sti) that's why we can give our opinions. The subaru community is awesome and if he goes there and asked the same question he will get THE EXACT SAME ANSWERS. The sti is a fine car regardless.

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help