Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2014, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
owned an STi and and EVO8 at the same time. I bought the EVO first. Found a "great deal" on an STi and bought that. I was trying both out and going to sell the one I liked less. The Subaru spun a bearing and I rebuilt it with Manley pistons and added a bunch of extra parts like ACT clutch/flywheel combo plus a GReddy 18G. It had exhaust and a TurboXS UTEC as well. I didn't clean all the old stuff out correctly or replace oil pump and cooler and it sounds another bearing. Second time I replaced everything I needed too and spent tons having the heads cleaned. Once it was running it was a fun car. OT was worth more than my EVO and I liked the EVO better so I sold the Subaru.

The stuff that is easy on an STi is hard on an EVO and vice versa. The stuff that is strongest on am EVO is weak on and STi and vice versa. I do think the EVO is a much better platform to make power. My buddy and I have an STi/EVO rivalry and dollar for dollar I kick his ***. I also think the difference in drive train strength is overstated. Launches kill AWD cars. EVO's regularly make 800whp on stock drive line for a long time unless drag racing. At the same power level both will break the same amount. The routine maintenance like plugs and wires are much easier on an EVO. Aftermarket parts are much cheaper for the EVO as well.

That said if the EVO wasn't imported the STi would be my favorite car in its price range!
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my wife's STi for a DD. If I wanted to make power over 350 I would stick with my money pit.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear people always saying that if you want a reliable daily go with the STI over the evo why?

I am on my second evo.. I daily drive both of them. All year , every day. They have never broke or left me stranded. My current evo is close to 600 daily HP.. Never broke on me and I have raced at the Shootout ( 10 passes) and other race events. I think people should look into getting their cars built by the right people and not hacks then your cars will be more reliable . Very simple. (Mine's is 100% built by me)

To the OP: STI's are getting faster now-a-days but as stated, you will need atleast twice the money if not more than what it would cost to make a evo fast.

Dollar for Dollar, the evo is like a DSM in that it will most definitely respond to the mods you put on it.

Good luck either way.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I currently own both vehicles. I DD an 04 STi and garage my 03 EVO in the winter. I wanted AWD with performance and the WRX just isnt enough considering the price different for the STi. I got my STi for 10k. Pretty good deal and was all stock. It needed a rear diff which was 400 shipped and works great. I just have an intake, exhaust and tune on the STi.

If you want to mod it and make good power, get the EVO. If you start to push the 2.5 boxter, you can damage the ringlands and lead to an expensive build. If you are ok with the 350hp out of the Suby and dont want anymore power, its a tossup between the 2. Drive both and see what you are comfortable in.

The EVO can take 500hp roughly and still be relaible. Maybe see 400 out of the STi.

Cost on maintenance is about the same. They both have brembos, timing belts are about the same, same cost for fluids, same fuel economy (stock), and parts to replace are about the same.

It boils down to what year you are looking to buy as well and how much you want to spend.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My evo has never had a problem but I've never messed with any power mods. My neighbor has an 06 sti. I don't like how the shifter flops all around when you're driving. The interior feels more cramped. The stereo is garbage. The plastic body panels look like they're glued on. The hood vent obscures too much of the road. On the other hand it makes torque at a lower rpm which should make it daily more easily. It just doesn't feel like as much of a sports car as the evo.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Like many have said, drive both. I drove both multiple times and since I like good handling and comfortable seats, I went Evo. My first drive home in my Evo was 996 miles. Chicago to Georgia. I never felt tired of driving like I have in other cars. The seats in an Evo 9 are amazing. My neighbor has a beautiful STI and he drools over my Evo every time we talk, so take that for what it's worth.

Any car can be a money pit, just find which money pit you like better .

Stay safe over there and thanks for your service.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 01:20 PM

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Just my 2cents
Old Jan 14, 2014, 02:11 PM

STI if you want a nice car that is comfortable and has potential to be a decently quick weekend car, EVO if you want a car that is very easy to make power on and is less about luxury and more about driving. I love both cars, and have also had both, I have to say evo's handle much better and are much cheaper/ easier to work on at least in my experience
Old Jan 14, 2014, 02:11 PM

^^ yesss
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:06 PM

I owned a WRX that was E85 and had countless mods. The 2.0 can handle A LOT of abuse, and responds to E85 very well. Great car to DD, plenty of torque. However, the power band on Subarus is pathetic. You really only make power for 2k rpm and then it falls flat on its face. Even with their small turbos there is a considerable amount of lag. As said they are expensive to mod, and have constant issues. The 5 speeds have 3rd gear problems and the STI's are ticking time bombs on cylinder 4 (some people get lucky). I've seen countless people with blown ringlands with 30k miles or less. Most importantly, working on Subaru's is a complete joke. There are some jobs that aren't too bad once you do them over and over, but other then that, you will have constant vacuum and fuel leaks. Both fuel and vacuum systems are no fun to work on, ever.

I love Subaru's, I'm glad I owned one. But the EVO is a better car in every aspect, minus the t-case and the interior (by no means is the interior bad).

My Evo 8 SSL is the 8th car I have owned, but by far the best car I have owned.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
Right. And I hope OP isn't getting the idea where a bunch of stuck up evo owners who hate subarus. I like subarus. We all faced the same decision at one point(evo or sti) that's why we can give our opinions. The subaru community is awesome and if he goes there and asked the same question he will get THE EXACT SAME ANSWERS. The sti is a fine car regardless.

Lol no. I am a mitsu fan boy. I am so biased. Not sure if it is good or bad. I love my ralliart. Everything about it minus the shifting is clunky but it's an easy fix. I just got tired of spending money on upgrades once I broke the 2grand mark and not getting much. Interior almost the exact same and I can live with that. I like subarus too but I just don't think they look as good and are way more common. I enjoy being different and standing apart. People see an evo and they stare/slash smart phones. When they see a sti they say oh look a good scoop must be a turbo (not always the case I know but generally true) and then they wonder what's for dinner.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Guys all of your advice is so greatly appreciated. Btw I am about to head out soon so I will be on even less often for a time until I hit Texas. I work full time for the guard so my life has been a constant state of chaos. I have been looking out there and am praying that the pricing stays about the same when I get home. I am guessing due to the fact I want to stay below 20grand an XIII is probably in my future. Also I am leaning more towards a five speed. I am really good about maintenance on my car and am I would say fair at doing stuff on my own. I have already found a local shop that specializes in this platform and will be using them for most upgrades. My mind isn't necessarily made up. A big factor will be how far I have to go just to find an evo. The idea of a road trip sounds great but once I break that 500 mile point it's starting to cost me upgrading dollars to keep doing it. My goal under 85k miles near stock and around 17grand leaving me lots of extra for fun.

My buddy has a wrx that sits at 330awhp and I have helped him with a number of his mods. Needless to say pita on most. Maybe he is the reason I don't want a subi. He has one and that just seems lame. Great cars but idk if I will look at it the same. I am a driving purist and don't need all the conforts. At this point there are so few evos for sale so as far as what model and trim I don't think I can be too choosy. Only thing I promise I won't buy is a yellow one yuck. Also the X doesn't do as much for me. Just not crazy about the looks. I am hitting on everyone's comments so sorry for the massive message. Thanks to all the other service members out there too and I appreciate all the well wishes.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:12 PM

I had an 04 STi for about three years and all I did was bushings, a better filter and a tune. I miss its turning radius and the stock clutch (although I haven't gone through enough on my evo to find one I really like...and don't really want to). I don't miss it's huge transmission hump that killed my right knee due to my foot position or seats. It was a good DD and always reliable.

I've had my 06 Evo for a little over three years. It's a bit of a **** so I had to do some work to it after I bought it to get it running right. After it was tuned and lightly modded, it has been just as reliable as the STi. I like the easy power boost at a bargain and I find it more comfortable on long trips (except for the lack of cruise control which I rarely use in my other vehicle). I also like how it corners with stock suspension over my stock STi. I hate the turning radius (it's about the same as my old Expedition)....yup, that's about it.

I'd probably still have the STi if it didn't get stripped/stolen. I'm very happy with my Evo though and wouldn't trade back to an STi. They're both great cars. I don't think you can really go wrong unless you buy something that has been poorly maintained and rallied to hell and back.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:10 PM

Did OP decide?

I was in the same predicament when I bought my evo, I came from a wrx(non sti) but ultimately decided on the evo b/c I was power hungry.

I think the STi is more comfortable though and a better daily.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:49 AM

In the end it would come down to your decision OP. I myself, my brother, and 1 other friend all have evo's, and i know a few people who have sti's. Me and my bro daily drive our evos, and they never let us down. They are not AS comfortable as the STI, but you will look past it since It beats sti in every other aspect. Ill do a little evo vs. sti battle right here

Reliability: Evo and STI are both reliable if you take care of them, like i said my evo never let me down. (My friend spun a bearing on his STI once), cost him a lot to fix. But evos require that tune. Lets call it a draw. Evo: 1 STI: 1

Comfort: STI is more comfortable on highways, etc. It just wins hands down. Evo: 1 STI: 2

Interior: Again, sti is better looking inside than evo, but electronics are not as great (speakers, radio, etc) Evo IX MR seats are super sexy and comfy though. Its a draw when you compare all of that. Evo:2 Sti: 3 (with some carbon fiber wrap, maybe some imagination, you can make the evo interior nicer looking)

Speed/Acceleration/Power: Evo wins hands down, dont even have to explain anything here. Evo:3 STI: 3

Exterior: Both are very nice looking cars, they can both have a very mean look to them. I sometimes see very sexy STI's, and evos. Lets say draw. Evo: 4 STI: 4

Handling: STI does have the better turning radius, though Evo has the better traction, control, and feel. Plus who needs a small turning radius? (unless you tend to get lost, or lose races) Evo takes it: Evo: 5 STI: 4

Cargo Space/Room: Evo wins. It has more leg room, more head room, and bigger trunk. Evo: 6 STI: 4

I would keep going, but you get the point. Plus remember that evo's are a lot more rare, I see like 20 sti's every week, compared to 1-2 evos a week in seattle. Which is a big plus for the evo owners.
I would never trade my evo for an sti, just saying.

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help