Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^no I haven't decided yet on which one to buy. There are a lot of factors weighing on it when I get home. Like do I have enough saved up? Do I want to wait for 6 months to save? There are more things that will effect my decision but my wife would rather go evo ( I love her). I want an evo more too but I do agree with the talk of test drives and lots of them. The evo being rare is a big reason.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RuskiEvo
In the end it would come down to your decision OP. I myself, my brother, and 1 other friend all have evo's, and i know a few people who have sti's. Me and my bro daily drive our evos, and they never let us down. They are not AS comfortable as the STI, but you will look past it since It beats sti in every other aspect. Ill do a little evo vs. sti battle right here Reliability: Evo and STI are both reliable if you take care of them, like i said my evo never let me down. (My friend spun a bearing on his STI once), cost him a lot to fix. But evos require that tune. Lets call it a draw. Evo: 1 STI: 1 Comfort: STI is more comfortable on highways, etc. It just wins hands down. Evo: 1 STI: 2 Interior: Again, sti is better looking inside than evo, but electronics are not as great (speakers, radio, etc) Evo IX MR seats are super sexy and comfy though. Its a draw when you compare all of that. Evo:2 Sti: 3 (with some carbon fiber wrap, maybe some imagination, you can make the evo interior nicer looking) Speed/Acceleration/Power: Evo wins hands down, dont even have to explain anything here. Evo:3 STI: 3 Exterior: Both are very nice looking cars, they can both have a very mean look to them. I sometimes see very sexy STI's, and evos. Lets say draw. Evo: 4 STI: 4 Handling: STI does have the better turning radius, though Evo has the better traction, control, and feel. Plus who needs a small turning radius? (unless you tend to get lost, or lose races) Evo takes it: Evo: 5 STI: 4 Cargo Space/Room: Evo wins. It has more leg room, more head room, and bigger trunk. Evo: 6 STI: 4 I would keep going, but you get the point. Plus remember that evo's are a lot more rare, I see like 20 sti's every week, compared to 1-2 evos a week in seattle. Which is a big plus for the evo owners. I would never trade my evo for an sti, just saying.
Nice competition. I am used to my ralliarts turning radius so no biggy. Very good competition. I especially enjoy the come from Behind win for the evo.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:16 AM

I own an 04 sti and an ix mr, and I recommend an STi if you dont plan on building it and its a DD, but evo all day if you want to make lots of power. I just have more fun in the subie for some reason. (sti:375whp, evo:687whp) and the subie still has my vote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 318bryan
I own an 04 sti and an ix mr, and I recommend an STi if you dont plan on building it and its a DD, but evo all day if you want to make lots of power. I just have more fun in the subie for some reason. (sti:375whp, evo:687whp) and the subie still has my vote
Hmmm. Must be the secret subi factor. No I don't plan on using it as a dd but I am not looking to do any super heavy upgrades. I am sure I will start looking into heavy mods at some point. I am timing this purchase before my wife and I have kids. Once kids arrive I don't have to wonder where my excess funds will be going. Thanks for the feedback
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rory_j13
Nice competition. I am used to my ralliarts turning radius so no biggy. Very good competition. I especially enjoy the come from Behind win for the evo.
Yup. I enjoyed making that little competition myself, it made me respect my car a little more. Evo FTW!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:59 AM

Oh and forgot to mention in my competition. I'm sure that evo gets slightly better gas mileage than the sti. Especially when you tune it.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 01:31 AM
Evolving Member

Hello Rory, in my personal experience I would have to say evo hands down. I have a 2005 STI and a 2006 Evo IX SSL currently. I didn't really read through the others comments but im sure they covered everything. The Subies are much more expensive to mod. Mine is mostly stock I just bought a bov and cobb accessport along with having some routine maintenance done and cost me roughly $2300. You could do a considerable amount to an evo for that amount.

The nice things about subies imo its much easier to pull the motor due to the boxer type engine platform, they undoubtedly sound nasty with a full exhaust but those are really the only pluses imo.

The evo handles better, cheaper $ to hp ratio, great for your purpose of DD I wouldn't worry to much about the weaker 6spd if you're not banging gears racing. All in all from experience driving both cars I would have to say evo is the way to go and more bang for your buck hope this helps you.

Ryan
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

I was in the exact same situation as you. I was pretty set on getting an sti while I was over there. My buddy ended up getting an X and I though well I will look into evo (8/9) and compare. My plans were to mod. Just comparing what the evo stock block can handle vs the sti and price on building it once the time came to it, it was clear that the evo for me was a better option.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ckevo8rs
I was in the exact same situation as you. I was pretty set on getting an sti while I was over there. My buddy ended up getting an X and I though well I will look into evo (8/9) and compare. My plans were to mod. Just comparing what the evo stock block can handle vs the sti and price on building it once the time came to it, it was clear that the evo for me was a better option.

Well thank you too for your service. Yeah it's a hard one but this is a huge reason I feel I am leaning evo for me. The option to say you know what meth (generally the beginnings of a conversation in Tennessee jk) sounds like a good idea or the turbo isn't big enough. I want bigger. My block is too small I need a 2.3. It's that kind of madness that keeps me coming back for more. I've never seen something so prone to take your dollars and spit out horsepower.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by projektevo9
Hello Rory, in my personal experience I would have to say evo hands down. I have a 2005 STI and a 2006 Evo IX SSL currently. I didn't really read through the others comments but im sure they covered everything. The Subies are much more expensive to mod. Mine is mostly stock I just bought a bov and cobb accessport along with having some routine maintenance done and cost me roughly $2300. You could do a considerable amount to an evo for that amount. The nice things about subies imo its much easier to pull the motor due to the boxer type engine platform, they undoubtedly sound nasty with a full exhaust but those are really the only pluses imo. The evo handles better, cheaper $ to hp ratio, great for your purpose of DD I wouldn't worry to much about the weaker 6spd if you're not banging gears racing. All in all from experience driving both cars I would have to say evo is the way to go and more bang for your buck hope this helps you. Ryan
Banging the gears? Here's the thing I have a sickness. I can swear all day up and down that I'm always gonna baby this thing but I won't. I am getting it for the pure fact of its driving purity. Like putting my butt on rails and then wearing a jet pack. Racing?? Not saying I wouldn't I definitely would like to get in on some auto x or even track days. I want 6 gears idk why so badly. Maybe because in my RA I have 5 and trust me you feel there should be six. It's so short that I can't go over 74 before mivec hits in fifth and first goes to 30. My only compromise is I get a six and do the preventative maint and when it goes I go five.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:53 AM

Using it for fun and transportation lol. But seriously, I plan on 1) doing some serious preventative maintenance (after I find a car I feel safe buying. I don't want something all beat). If I get a six speed that means a cooler setup and a custom temp sensor. 2) oil catch can for engine/turbo longevity 3) anything that makes the turbo spool. Beyond that I am entertaining meth injection but if I make 350awhp/awtq I am happy. That is until my butt gets used to it lol. I want this car to be years of fun and will keep my ralliart and wife's civic so it won't be a true daily driver but I will be using it more than just weekends. Sound like decent logic to my madness?
I bought my IX MR close to stock, put on a full exhaust, intake, tune, and intercooler and I'm Making 350WHP on a dynojet. As it sits at WOT (high RPM) my injectors are nearly STATIC so fuel system upgrade comes next. Point is you can make this power for <$1200.

It's going to be a depressing day when I have to sell this car, the thing is great in every aspect (except MPG but oh well)
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SQ2Evo
I bought my IX MR close to stock, put on a full exhaust, intake, tune, and intercooler and I'm Making 350WHP on a dynojet. As it sits at WOT (high RPM) my injectors are nearly STATIC so fuel system upgrade comes next. Point is you can make this power for <$1200. It's going to be a depressing day when I have to sell this car, the thing is great in every aspect (except MPG but oh well)
Is the fuel issue just due to needing an upgraded fuel pump ie wahlborough (however it's spelt) or is it injectors too? Did the upgraded inter cooler actually make noticeable gains? From my research that seems to be one of my lower priorities as the stock one performs well (second hand knowledge through reading though). For that amount of cost I would kill for that amount of gains right now. Truly remarkable. Those few mods would be my first route with the addition of licp and fuel pump and probably minus the new inter cooler . I didn't reference the licp in the statement you quoted but it was my initial thought when I wrote it. Fun=boost or vice versa and anything I can do to get that turbo to spool sooner is right up my alley. Also I live in the northern half of the state meaning no emissions so a test pipe is definitely the route I am thinking.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not long ago, a Subie salesman was trying to convince me to "capture the excitement" (whatever that means), by trading my IX in on an STi.

Now I have no particular beef with Subaru, so I asked the dude what an STi offers that my Evo does not. The salesdude went on about "symmetrical all-wheel drive" and boxer engines, and also something called "integrated bluetooth functionality" and having my radio controls on the steering wheel (I almost never bother to turn the radio on).

I think the real answer is: In a STi, you will be fixing engines. In an Evo, you will be fixing trannies and driveline parts.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 09:33 AM

Is the fuel issue just due to needing an upgraded fuel pump ie wahlborough (however it's spelt) or is it injectors too? Did the upgraded inter cooler actually make noticeable gains? From my research that seems to be one of my lower priorities as the stock one performs well (second hand knowledge through reading though). For that amount of cost I would kill for that amount of gains right now. Truly remarkable. Those few mods would be my first route with the addition of licp and fuel pump and probably minus the new inter cooler . I didn't reference the licp in the statement you quoted but it was my initial thought when I wrote it. Fun=boost or vice versa and anything I can do to get that turbo to spool sooner is right up my alley. Also I live in the northern half of the state meaning no emissions so a test pipe is definitely the route I am thinking.
The fuel issue is going to require replacing both injectors and fuel pump. Injectors are at about 98% duty cycle and once upgraded will need a fuel pump to support them.

The intercooler made about 10HP with a supporting tune (dynojet verified). I'm an engineer for an aftermarket intercooler company so I had easy access to an upgraded one. The stock one is good up to around 350, it's a really good unit for being OE. Any more power/flow I would upgrade to a larger core. I forgot to add I also have a LICP on there. Next step is going to be pump/injectors

I guess my point was that these guys are right, it's far cheaper to make power out of the evo than the sti. Your goal of 350 reliable WHP will not be hard or expensive to achieve.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 09:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Search will help you. There are numerous threads, topics, articles on this. Google is your friend.

I've owned a IX, X's, and GSR STi. Practically speaking they are the same. AWD, turbo'd 4 cylinder. Go test drive both and you should know which one to get.

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help