Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo for track, fast car for road better control but sti better for offroad.
Evo better engine chipper for doing more power and easier
Old Mar 1, 2014, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

If you can't decide between an sti or an Evo. Get the sti; you don't deserve the latter of the two

Last edited by MarkChamorro; Mar 1, 2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrowka
Not long ago, a Subie salesman was trying to convince me to "capture the excitement" (whatever that means), by trading my IX in on an STi.

I think he was seeing a much quicker flip. He was selling you so he could get what he wanted.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MarkChamorro
If you can't decide between an sti or an Evo. Get the sti; you don't deserve the latter of the two

Your opinion is duly noted. However, I have made my intentions and preferences quite clear in my past posts. I am extremely passionate about the EVO and desire it immensely. Read some of my previous posts and see my reasoning for this entire thread. Perhaps I should have used a better subject line to get some awesome evo owners/lover to have a conversation that entertains my dreams. I grew up with very little however through hard work I am in an awesome profession and well before I can come home I will be completely debt free (wifes student loans) and able to afford the car of my dreams. I don't feel a need too justify myself as you don't have to read the thread, but you own a ralliart therefore you get a +1 in my book.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

1st thank you for your service

Both cars have plenty of potential and both are better than the car you currently roll in. My recommendation is for you to do research in your area and see which car has the most support close to you. It's nice to have someone close that can talk you through stuff or even show things in person. If you just want a fun car there's no sense of reinventing the wheel use what they know works so you can have more fun with less work. Its nice that you can find a lot of info here but you also get a lot of 50/50 answers when you ask a this or that question.
Good luck
Old Mar 2, 2014, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

About two hours away I have a tuning shop that specializes in both cars. Also, I am not that far from MN where I live and from what I have seen they have a rather large and knowledgeable group.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 07:36 AM

I have a 2006 9 se and a 2011 sti sedan love both cars! sti drive so dam smooth for my dd , the evo is for modding and making power!!! but of course I had to get a turbo back exhaust for my sti
Old Mar 2, 2014, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

You're right, I didn't read the thread. Suppose I wasn't in the right mind set when I replied. Looking back I take it back lol but in all honesty. Friend has an STi and I have the Evo. I'd pick the Evo everytime. I mean. I am biased though
Old Mar 2, 2014, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hermin0000
I consider myself very neutral. If youre keeping your car stock and just use it for daily I say sti. However if you want to mod evo all the way.
Agreed. One of my really good friends has an STI. I think if you plan on keeping it stock, STI is the way to go. However, if you want to mod, I'd go with an evo. Mod for mod, an evo wins hands down. Even both cars stock, when I pulled both, the evo pulls so much harder. Hope this helped!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MarkChamorro
You're right, I didn't read the thread. Suppose I wasn't in the right mind set when I replied. Looking back I take it back lol but in all honesty. Friend has an STi and I have the Evo. I'd pick the Evo everytime. I mean. I am biased though

+1 again. Same here on preference. In the end it will come down to logistics and having that perfect evo waiting for me, but how picky can I be? They are just so rare that it worries me. I most definitely plan on doing the compression test, but I am also going to have to decide do I spend hundreds if not thousands on a nationwide search or do I spend those on mods/repairs for a less than perfect evo or the subi. Subaru's I have mad respect for, but it doesn't have that X-factor that I am looking for. BTW no hard feelings I truly appreciate the honesty.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by st0mp860
Agreed. One of my really good friends has an STI. I think if you plan on keeping it stock, STI is the way to go. However, if you want to mod, I'd go with an evo. Mod for mod, an evo wins hands down. Even both cars stock, when I pulled both, the evo pulls so much harder. Hope this helped!

It did help. Pretty much par for what everyone else is saying. I have never owned a car I didn't mod. That list includes an 01 focus. It's an itch I cannot scratch. However, it comes down to are these mods affecting longevity/driveability? Like I said 350 at the wheels will be my initial goal, but who's to say I am happy with that. All it takes is losing to one civic and I go on a binge. LOL.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

I would go STI. Better low end grunt and easier to live with on a daily basis. Don't do more than basic mods and you have a very nice car.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 05:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to keep them with basic bolt on's it's a toss up. Suburu's have a fantastic sound (I love the burble), they look good and handle ok. They are however a huge PITA to work on, and cost a lot to modify. My neighbor has one that I help him work on. What a pain. Everything is difficult and different. Once you start modding them for power they tend to be more unreliable than a similarly powerful Evo. If I could pick one up for the right price I would.

The Evo look fantastic, handles great, and responses very well to mods. It's cheaper to modify and in my opinion more reliable. If I were choosing between the 2 I would without question pick the Evo.

For full disclosure at this point in time I own neither, but am in the market for an Evo.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 06:39 PM

If you want to rebuild EJs go sti.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rory_j13
I think he was seeing a much quicker flip. He was selling you so he could get what he wanted.
Lol. If that was the salesdude's goal, it didn't work. My IX is safe in its winter quarters in my garage.

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help