Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife's STi has developed a noise coming from the waterpump (like a bearing) that apparently can end in catastrophic engine failure. Her car has 60k on the clock and we have to do a water pump (and might as well do a timing belt at the same time) 30k earlier then we are supposed. This is AFTER doing her 60k and getting her retuned on some 850's and a bigger water pump. The shop we use apparently wasn't surprised. They called it "not uncommon". They've seen it before.

WTH.

LOL.

But if I compare it to the randomness of my car then its not terrible.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Mar 3, 2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anything with 4 cylinders and 2 heads is a no go for me!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evil Colt
Anything with 4 cylinders and 2 heads is a no go for me!
I agree. The idea of something going wrong and me being helpless to fix it or even diagnose engine issues is unnerving. I am in no ways a mechanic but I have made it a point to do as much as I can to learn. Everything in my signature done myself. Some with assistance some without. I lose that option for the most part with a Subaru and then I get to pay higher (longer really) labor rates. Not a fan.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
My wife's STi has developed a noise coming from the waterpump (like a bearing) that apparently can end in catastrophic engine failure. Her car has 60k on the clock and we have to do a water pump (and might as well do a timing belt at the same time) 30k earlier then we are supposed. This is AFTER doing her 60k and getting her retuned on some 850's and a bigger water pump. The shop we use apparently wasn't surprised. They called it "not uncommon". They've seen it before. WTH. LOL. But if I compare it to the randomness of my car then its not terrible.
See the only randomness I get out of my car is tie rod ends mainly and alignments. Engine wise never had an issue in near 100k miles it's just suspension I keep replacing. Would having these same expectations for the evo be reasonable? Obviously that depends on how much I mess it up with mods.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Evo
Old Mar 10, 2014, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
My friend just picked up an 04 STI and I drove it around. The gauges are nice, it rides just a bit softer than the Evo, but I like the Evo dash and seats better.
Check how much it costs to just get an STI tuned. Accessport is around $600 bucks and if you want a real tune(not just their stage blah blah tune) it will cost another $300 or so.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 118 Likes on 95 Posts
There are so many local Subarus that knock or have bearing or ring issues that I couldn't possibly justify buying one. The Evo is the better car.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

To the last three posts much appreciated. I agree wholeheartedly. I would say with either it depends on the previous owner for the reliability. I hopefully will find one that isn't too modified, but at least with the evo I am fairly familiar with mitsubishi parts and components. Soft ride is fine and all for my wife. In the ralliart it is pretty stiff and bumpy and I had to guess it won't be a huge transition. I know there are people that have owned both but I haven't heard any regrets about making the switch.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

You sir are a genius. We will see though. I don't want to dump all my savings into two cars. What I would probably do is go a wrx and evo. I will only pay cash on these vehicles so that is the deciding factor and at some point I would like to buy a house.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

I'm just kidding buy the evo. lol
Old Mar 13, 2014, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
First, thank YOU for your service! Best of luck over there! Secondly, AN EVO! I have a IX-MR that I bought new and she now has 104K on her and every mile was a pleasure! I never had any trouble! She used to be a daily driver. I keep her maintained and it's all fun. I hate to have to park her. Just test drive one and you'll see...Every subie guy I talk to complain about all the money they have pumped into their car for such little horsepower and unreliability. An Evo is so reactive to the littlest mod!You treat an Evo right, and she'll reward you with the biggest/most grins per mile!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Initial_r90
Thats what my wife and I did.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile both

Ya having both its nice having to "choose" what car to drive to work everyday. Built Evo and Sti and both are a joy to drive. Only thing i don't like about the sti is the fact that changing the sparkplugs is a pita, and if you decide that you want to change the cams your goign to have to pull the motor. You really can't go wrong with either choice imo both have their benefits and drawbacks.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 02:37 PM

Go drive both and then decide. Only thing that will make your mind up for you.

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help