Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
That evoooo tho
Old Mar 15, 2014, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this crazy topic has been discussed too many times. people are never tired of it. lol
Old Mar 15, 2014, 05:59 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
an Sti is usually going to be a better daily driver. it has more torque and will "feel" faster even while just cruising around. maintenance stuff is pretty simple (the timing belt is the easiest i've ever done) but upgrades are a P.I.T.A.
they don't make much power without a ton of money thrown at them. that's mostly due to the construction of some of the parts. example: the "rumble" is bad for making power and makes for some weird EGT and A/F numbers. to go equal length is a crazy hassle and very costly.
my wrx was very comfortable to drive around in. i can't vouch for the STi.
i have a IX MR with 123k miles and no issue with my transmission. then again, it has been launched three times and never drag raced. this is under different HP levels. i love the car more than any other i've owned. it's not as comfortable for long trips, but i'd never want to own anything different. going from an Evo to a WRX to another Evo... the Evo is the most fun-to-drive car. the harder you drive it and the more you toss it around, the better it responds. they can make GOOD power with minimal mods and cost. with just a tune and exhaust i made 310whp, if i remember right.
i don't know if any of this helps. everyone will say to drive both and see which you like. that's the best advice. sorry for the long post.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:23 PM

If u want to blow up ur engine, go for sti. If u want to blow up ur trans, go with evo. Lol
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:42 PM

LOL sad but true
Old Mar 19, 2014, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Test drive is a must. Only thing that sucks is to find an evo to test drive is a pita. Well worth it though.

Ok new add on question. If I could pick any trim or year which should it be? Not like I have a choice but since they are so rare but interested in the knowledge
Old Mar 19, 2014, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VIII/VIII.5/IX because racecar.

X if you want something a bit more civil.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 02:26 PM
kaj

You can test drive mine. :-)

Model is also preference. I like to road race and don't require 700hp, so I have a IX MR. It's my second one and I wouldn't trade it for anything. My friend has an VIII and it's cool too, I just prefer my head/tail lights, interior, and MIVEC.
If buying as a daily, to look nice, and cruise in, I'd buy a X.

Again: all opinion.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 03:15 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jemje2006
this crazy topic has been discussed too many times. people are never tired of it. lol
I like it, it strokes my ego by knowing I was right in my decision making process.

Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
You can test drive mine. :-) Model is also preference. I like to road race and don't require 700hp, so I have a IX MR. It's my second one and I wouldn't trade it for anything. My friend has an VIII and it's cool too, I just prefer my head/tail lights, interior, and MIVEC. If buying as a daily, to look nice, and cruise in, I'd buy a X. Again: all opinion.
I would say I am close to your opinion. No offense to X owners but I do not like them. They look watered down. Not that having one wouldn't be sweet but just saying. I love the IX but they are at a premium. Unfortunately most people are like you. Never gonna sell it.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
I like it, it strokes my ego by knowing I was right in my decision making process.

Exactly. If you don't like the topic go bye bye. I am doing this for myself and I find it enjoyable.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:10 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm letting this thread live only because there are way too many new threads about this going up already.

They might even start getting merged into this one.

News at eleven.

Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:51 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by rory_j13
I would say I am close to your opinion. No offense to X owners but I do not like them. They look watered down. Not that having one wouldn't be sweet but just saying. I love the IX but they are at a premium. Unfortunately most people are like you. Never gonna sell it.
Two years ago, I owned the exact year/color /trim and sold it. I kicked myself every day until I bought my current one.
The one thing I like about the X is that you can fit AWESOME wheels under them. Makes me a little jealous. LOL
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:01 PM

boxer engines seem to suffer from oiling issues. the oil has trouble recirculating from the horizontal heads, to the pan and back. even on the new fr-s/brz's, when I worked at a shop, we did a couple turbo installs and they'd already be sweating oil from the headgaskets... on bone stock cars with hundreds of miles. we also rebuilt a bunch of wrx/sti motors due to oil starvation issues. then again, I have personal friends who beat on their boxers for years and have never had an issue.

evo's... when you start bumping up the boost it's inevitable that you're going to have to change the clutch. a clutch job on an evo isn't fun.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CP9A-Will
boxer engines seem to suffer from oiling issues. the oil has trouble recirculating from the horizontal heads, to the pan and back. even on the new fr-s/brz's, when I worked at a shop, we did a couple turbo installs and they'd already be sweating oil from the headgaskets... on bone stock cars with hundreds of miles. we also rebuilt a bunch of wrx/sti motors due to oil starvation issues. then again, I have personal friends who beat on their boxers for years and have never had an issue.

evo's... when you start bumping up the boost it's inevitable that you're going to have to change the clutch. a clutch job on an evo isn't fun.
well...its not like Evos don't spin rod bearings like its their day job

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help