Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 EVO VIII FTW and like many others have said before you could go STI if you want to dump a ton of cash to make any power lol
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:46 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
I've never spun a bearing, knock on wood. This is after about 180k miles between two Evos.
As for my Subaru, I installed a Killer B oil pickup and pan (oem pickups like to break) and never had oil issues, though I only tracked it once.

Both cars have their weaknesses, but I have yet to find any proof that a Subaru is better than an Evo in any performance category.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by CP9A-Will
boxer engines seem to suffer from oiling issues. the oil has trouble recirculating from the horizontal heads, to the pan and back. even on the new fr-s/brz's, when I worked at a shop, we did a couple turbo installs and they'd already be sweating oil from the headgaskets... on bone stock cars with hundreds of miles. we also rebuilt a bunch of wrx/sti motors due to oil starvation issues. then again, I have personal friends who beat on their boxers for years and have never had an issue.

evo's... when you start bumping up the boost it's inevitable that you're going to have to change the clutch. a clutch job on an evo isn't fun.
This. My uncle tracks an 05 boxter and he had this problem, oil couldnt recirculate and ruined the motor. Went back to his 944 turbo and bought an s2000.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6 speed will not have any issues unless you go over 400trq and 400trq clutch. I am pushing 311whp with exedy stage 1 clutch at 400trq, autocross twice a month and i'm at 170XXX miles on my car with regular oil maintenance and still drive like a champ.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:57 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by J!n K@z@mA
6 speed will not have any issues unless you go over 400trq and 400trq clutch. I am pushing 311whp with exedy stage 1 clutch at 400trq, autocross twice a month and i'm at 170XXX miles on my car with regular oil maintenance and still drive like a champ.
IIRC heat soak is what kills 4th gear, not power.

Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by golgo13

^^Bingo. Heat is what killed my trans.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:56 AM
kaj

More torque = more heat, though. 123k miles on mine @ 310who or less. So far, so good. More power now, so we'll see what happens.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
buy a subaru, mitshu sucks =)
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:59 PM

I just went through the same situation. I have been a subaru fan boy since I was 16 (now 22) and when my roommate got an Evo 8 I decided to go on the market for my hawkeye sti. Between trying to find one unmolested and still running, then haggling with prices for stock ones that people wanted an arm and a leg for. I just gave up and decided to keep my car. Then it happened, my roommate threw me his keys and said "drive me home". As soon as I got behind the wheel I fell in love. IMO the steering is tighter, the top end is leaps better, I felt at home, and I could only think about evos after that. I now own a Evo 9 and wouldn't trade it for a brand new STI
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I'm letting this thread live only because there are way too many new threads about this going up already.

They might even start getting merged into this one.

News at eleven.

Works for me. Thanks!!!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by J!n K@z@mA

This again goes to show that maintenance is king. I have had the unfortunate privilege of destroying my first 2 cars due to be a retarded kid that checked my oil once I heard it make a noise under the hood. LOL, well maybe not that bad, but needless to say I have learned my lessons. We have a saying in the Army that goes like this "Maintenance may not be the pride of the Army, but without maintenance the pride don't ride". At this point I would be willing to buy a 6sp, but acd does make me nervous having it in an area where roadsalt is used to season our food we use it so much.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
STi
Old Mar 25, 2014, 05:37 PM

evo more bang for your buck....
Old Mar 26, 2014, 08:08 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by rory_j13
This again goes to show that maintenance is king. I have had the unfortunate privilege of destroying my first 2 cars due to be a retarded kid that checked my oil once I heard it make a noise under the hood. LOL, well maybe not that bad, but needless to say I have learned my lessons. We have a saying in the Army that goes like this "Maintenance may not be the pride of the Army, but without maintenance the pride don't ride". At this point I would be willing to buy a 6sp, but acd does make me nervous having it in an area where roadsalt is used to season our food we use it so much.
have you found salt to be detrimental to ACD systems?

Originally Posted by VigorousChris
the top end is leaps better, I felt at home, and I could only think about evos after that. I now own a Evo 9 and wouldn't trade it for a brand new STI
not surprising. the tq from that 2.5L is great, but the small turbo really dies out up top; worse than on the Evo, it would seem.

speaking of the new STi.. they sure are boats now, aren't they? huuuuuge

Last edited by kaj; Mar 26, 2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
have you found salt to be detrimental to ACD systems?

From my research yes. It appears that the salt tends to corrode at the pump/housing. Honestly, I have yet to see the inner/underworkings of an EVO so I don't know for sure. That may be another maintenance item I address (i.e. some form of shield). Although the option for using acd would be funny. I am all for more buttons

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help