Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help

Hey all. Now before you get your pitchforks and torches and get ready to throw them at me hear me out. I am a diehard dsm fan. Currently my DD is an 04 lancer ralliart. I love the car and have almost put on 100k miles while owning it. Love the car but sadly it just isn't enough. Modified mildly but you can't fix fwd and I just don't see the point in throwing anymore money at car that is not designed to be a race car. Currently I am about to head off to Afghanistan being a member of the Wisconsin army national guard. I am starting my research now for my welcome home toy. For a long time I have drooled over evos and finally I might have one. This doesn't mean I will as there are other options out there. Namely subarus. I am coming here to get some additional convincing that an evo is the car for me. Obviously I know only I can make that choice but I am looking to see why others chose the evo. My requirements for my next car is simple awd and turbocharged with a Market that has easy access to modifying. Awd is necessary for Wisconsin winters and this will be my new dd with me still holding onto the ralliart for long trips and for my wife. My preferred evo is a IX MR but I am nervous about getting a six speed with all of the fourth gear issues. So enough blabbing out of me. If you have anything to say please tell me why in depth you went the direction you went and if I would get an evo what trim. I am a huge fan of acd but I know there are Individuals out there that recommend otherwise. Side note I plan on trying to keep this thread going for the whole year I am gone and I will use it to provide much needed sanity and the light at the end of the tunnel I am sure to need. Thanks guys.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you like to spend alot more money to make power buy a Suburu.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rory_j13
Hey all. Now before you get your pitchforks and torches and get ready to throw them at me hear me out. I am a diehard dsm fan. Currently my DD is an 04 lancer ralliart. I love the car and have almost put on 100k miles while owning it. Love the car but sadly it just isn't enough. Modified mildly but you can't fix fwd and I just don't see the point in throwing anymore money at car that is not designed to be a race car. Currently I am about to head off to Afghanistan being a member of the Wisconsin army national guard. I am starting my research now for my welcome home toy. For a long time I have drooled over evos and finally I might have one. This doesn't mean I will as there are other options out there. Namely subarus. I am coming here to get some additional convincing that an evo is the car for me. Obviously I know only I can make that choice but I am looking to see why others chose the evo. My requirements for my next car is simple awd and turbocharged with a Market that has easy access to modifying. Awd is necessary for Wisconsin winters and this will be my new dd with me still holding onto the ralliart for long trips and for my wife. My preferred evo is a IX MR but I am nervous about getting a six speed with all of the fourth gear issues. So enough blabbing out of me. If you have anything to say please tell me why in depth you went the direction you went and if I would get an evo what trim. I am a huge fan of acd but I know there are Individuals out there that recommend otherwise. Side note I plan on trying to keep this thread going for the whole year I am gone and I will use it to provide much needed sanity and the light at the end of the tunnel I am sure to need. Thanks guys.

I feel your paint. I love the look of both the hawkeye STi and the Evo 8, and my knees get weak at the sound of the Subie rumble. But as already stated, money for performance, the Evo wins, hands down.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm very biased towards the Evo, of course. But, trust me getting a transmission rebuild on an evo is cheap compared to a engine rebuild on an STI. I've driven plenty of fast STIs and it just doesn't compare to the Evo, in my opinion. Plus in my neck of the woods, Stis are everywhere. I have not seen another evo in my area, in about two months.

It's been said before and I'll say it again, evos are cheaper to mod, easier to work on and much more rewarding.

Last edited by EvolutionIX219; Dec 28, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Not to mention that imo EVO's are 1,000 times easier to work on in my experience. I've owned 3 EVO's now and my current one is by far my favorite. I would stick with a 5 speed and if you can find one get the SSL model. I love all the leather and the moonroof. I've heard the MR is heavier then the regular EVO also. Thank you for your service to our country as well. Soldiers are true hero's and you deserve a really nice car, like an EVO. Lol. Good luck with your search and I hope you stick with mitsu.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

I have had a WRX and now I own a Evolution VIII. Although I had the WRX..,the EVO is better car hands down. Get your hands on one because they're getting harder and harder to get too. Maintenance is a lot easier than Subaru. Plugs on my Subaru took me about an hour. And I would have hated to run a compression test. But with the Evolution it takes 10 minutes, and 30 minutes for a compression test.

Evolution is a better car in my opinion as well. I don't know much about your desired MR, but evolution owns all day. And it looks better.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

I consider myself very neutral. If youre keeping your car stock and just use it for daily I say sti. However if you want to mod evo all the way.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

If you can afford it with the proper maintenance and whatever else you'd be using it for go for it. I sometimes still think what owning an STi would compare like vs. my evo, but it is really preference and what you'd be using it for.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you really need to make 4 threads about the same thing? buy the evo period!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

At first I was gonna joke around and say STI. But now I'm still going to say buy an STI and I'm being serious. They are great cars and look nice. The AWD is better for bad weather/all-terrain while the Evos shines more in Tarmac situations. If keeping stock or lightly modded go subaru. They have a great tranny.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
As always, before asking "which is better?" you first must ask "what do you want to with it?"
Old Dec 28, 2013, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Watch TOP GEAR season 1 I believe it's one of the first six episodes I think if you have netflix you can see. The guy does an EVO VS STI comparison .

From what I saw the evo has better handling and handles corners with excellence. He referred to it as one wheel drive on those really sharp corners .

The Subaru did not have as good as handling as the evo. It had decent handling in the turns but performed a tad better in the straight aways in acceleration.

When they did a track test they evo performed unbelievable and beat the STI's time as well as the Lamborghini and lotus Elise times. ( if those weren't the cars don't get upset I'm going of memory but they are close in comparison )

But I recommend you watch it . The episode is titled EVO VS STI. They spend the first 20 minutes of it on them . My choice would be an evo. (:
Old Dec 28, 2013, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I owned 4 Evos a STI and WRX-. My summary is like this:

If you want to go fast for less, go for a Evo and never look back. It will cost you 2.5 to 3 times more to make the STI as quick as an Evo, simple math, simple basics, simple fact, love it or hate it, take it or leave it!!

In my opinion, enjoy the Evo 9 MR, the gearboxes will break on any car as long as you heavily mod them, there is no exception. The Evo MR transmission is also tough but not the prefered choice for drag racers but definitely a much improved driving sensation than the 5 speed due to easier engagement and because the engine response is better with the shorter gear.

My current STI is running on E-85 and I have a Blouch Dom 1.5 ready to be installed but make no mistake, any Evo with simple bolt ons will eat my STI for lunch. I drag tested most of my cars for the last 18 and a half years and I must say that the Evo dollar per dollar has little competition.

In my opinion, the best value for performance right now in the market without a doubt is the WRX. It is some what comparable to the Evos up to a high 300whp range power.

Best of luck. Just remember, the WRX is to me the best bargain. My 2012 STI interior is garbage, it is all full of cheap "chinese" plastic (go ahead at this time and take offense of chinese products because I am being serious and sarcastic at the same time). Previous STI had better interior material/quality. After all, the Evo interior despite being "spartan" they were actually not that bad constructed and definitely don't make the rattle noise than my Japanese 2012 STI with "chinese alike" cheap materials make.

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Dec 28, 2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

The Evos and STIs both have fairly 'cheap' interiors. With that said, the Evos I feel have a nicer looking interior. It has a sporty feel to it whereas the Subarus have sort of an econobox feel to them. If I had to choose between these two for a daily driver/ commuting to work type of car I would chose the Subaru hands down. They are a better daily driver car. If I wanted to do any track time I would pick the evo 8 or 9. Just really depends what your plans are. If your honestly only gonna do one or two autoxs a year then just stick with the STI.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Tough choice indeed. I really like both platforms because of their performance and appeal. But like the other members are saying, the EVO is much easier to work on. My first timing belt job on a STI was a PITA, the second and third times not so bad, so on and so forth. Don't get me started on removing one of the heads while engine is in the vehicle.

The timing belt job on the Evo was a snap and went very quickly, as well as some other aspects of maintenance are concerned. That is why I chose the EVO over the STI. I hate having to come home and wrench on my stuff after I have been doing it all day at work. So having to work on something easier than harder is a no brainer.

Yet, it's your choice of course and I also wanted the 6 speed as well because I'm never planning on tracking my car. Just enjoy driving. Good luck with your choice and thank you for your service and be careful, be safe.

Quick Reply: Evo or sti??? Which should i buy. Please help