Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Can anyone name this PLUG??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Can anyone name this PLUG??

Whats up guys.... bought this car about a week ago.... took the bumper off and the headlight out of put a new light in and now this plug is left over, cant remmeber if it was just hanging there of i un plugged it from somewhere by accident.... if anyone knows what it is i'd really appriciate the input.... If i had a haynes manual for this car id know in a second... please let me know guys
Attached Thumbnails Can anyone name this PLUG??-img_1232.jpg  
Old Dec 29, 2013, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the looks to be the plug for the stock fan
Old Dec 29, 2013, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silver9mr
the looks to be the plug for the stock fan
100% the radiator fan plug. If you look at the fan shroud there is a large black box attached to the bottom of it. That plug will plug in to the bottom of that black relay box.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Okay, ill take a look at it, if it is a fan plug it must of been just chilling unplugged like that.... I only have one fan and i know it works... I gotta look into it... thanks for the input guys
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MisUnderStood
Okay, ill take a look at it, if it is a fan plug it must of been just chilling unplugged like that.... I only have one fan and i know it works... I gotta look into it... thanks for the input guys
One fan? Do you have an RS or something? There should be two fans, one behind the radiator on the drivers side and one in front of the a/c condensor on the passenger side. If that plug is unplugged and your fan is still working I'm stumped.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Plug is for inner fan.

Likely it was removed. Countless EVO's run without the inner fan from going to big turbos or awkward intake piping

You wont have an issue not running one but you can pick them up in the classifieds cheap or go to a slim fan cheap as well

Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I think that excessive heat is horsepowers natural enemy. I don't see how removing the radiator fan would be "okay" as it kicks on to regulate engine operating temperature. If you were running a colder thermostat then that would help out too obviously. But running the car without any radiator fan at all would more then likely lead to constant over heating issues. Well not this time of year, I'm in Chicago and think its like 7 degrees outside lol, but in the summer it would be overheating constantly.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrainwater
I think that excessive heat is horsepowers natural enemy. I don't see how removing the radiator fan would be "okay" as it kicks on to regulate engine operating temperature. If you were running a colder thermostat then that would help out too obviously. But running the car without any radiator fan at all would more then likely lead to constant over heating issues. Well not this time of year, I'm in Chicago and think its like 7 degrees outside lol, but in the summer it would be overheating constantly.
Think you may be a lil confused

Properly running vehicles do not use radiator fans while driving down the road . It's the stopped at idle/Stop and go that will kick fans on/off and you will absolutely NEVER overheat an EVO by not having the inner fan in place unless there is another issue

Haven't run one in myself 4-5 years now. 100 degree heat in 3+ hours of parkway traffic. Never even got hot.

EVO has 2 fans in case you were unsure.

You learned something new today SMILE
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:27 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Dang! lol
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Main feed wire for the relay that triggers the radiator fan. Should be another with much smaller wire dia. that also plugs into the relay. If you are running one fan, it must be the AC fan which is in front of the radiator.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

3 hours of sitting in traffic huh? Well regardless I appreciate your take on things but running an engine hot all the time would more then likely lead to premature internal engine component failure. I agree the fan only kicks on when idling that's not debatable but there is a reason they have the fan there...when idling the coolant temperature rises above 190 then the fan kicks on to bring the temp back down. Otherwise the temp would just keep rising until you are in motion again. But I don't understand how you can try and debate the fact that running the engine overly hot all the time is okay and would do no harm in the long run to your engine internals. Otherwise there wouldn't even be a fan there to begin with. Do what you want with your car, to each their own but removing your radiator fan is just plain stupid unless you actually needed the extra room. And "chu", we were having a discussion. I hope your nuts drop soon and you can grow up a little. I learned something today. That you can remove your radiator fan if you don't care about your engines long term health. Thanks for teaching me the wrong way to mod my car. Haha jk. Oh and you're about 5 posts late on the two fans.

Last edited by jrainwater; Dec 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jrainwater
3 hours of sitting in traffic huh? Well regardless I appreciate your take on things but running an engine hot all the time would more then likely lead to premature internal engine component failure. I agree the fan only kicks on when idling that's not debatable but there is a reason they have the fan there...when idling the coolant temperature rises above 190 then the fan kicks on to bring the temp back down. Otherwise the temp would just keep rising until you are in motion again. But I don't understand how you can try and debate the fact that running the engine overly hot all the time is okay and would do no harm in the long run to your engine internals. Otherwise there wouldn't even be a fan there to begin with. Do what you want with your car, to each their own but removing your radiator fan is just plain stupid unless you actually needed the extra room. And "chu", we were having a discussion. I hope your nuts drop soon and you can grow up a little. I learned something today. That you can remove your radiator fan if you don't care about your engines long term health. Thanks for teaching me the wrong way to mod my car. Haha jk. Oh and you're about 5 posts late on the two fans.
The AC fan will also kick on even though the AC is off. One fan is sufficient to keep the temp's in check. Some remove the Radiator Fan to make room for IC Pipes and a larger turbo. The AC fan will still be triggered by the ECU if the temperature rises.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

That makes sense. I've never had that happen since I still have a radiator fan on my car. My a/c fan only kicks on when the a/c is on so.... I was assuming there would be no fan running ever if the radiator fan was removed. Thanks for clearing that up roadrunr without being a douche. One can teach without being condescending and I appreciate that, thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Yes AC fan will still keep temps in check. Hence why I mentioned you have 2 fans thank roadrunr

Yes 3 hrs of traffic on countless summer weekends

Car has 150k on it and wouldn't think twice about driving cross country and back with it

Sorry to sound condescending, just get a kick when people come on here saying you can do this can't do that and never had a lick of first hand exp.

Again I'm not running the engine hot, my EVO has never once overheated nor even gotten close.

I actually have a slim fan sitting in the garage. Didn't want to half *** mount it and never got around to fabing some nice brackets. Don't see the point now to be honest having been 4-5 years without issue

Yours Truly,

The Douche

Last edited by gsrboi80; Dec 30, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

That sounds reasonable and for a little clarity I have been working on cars for 20+ years and have owned 3 evos one of which is my current IX SSL. I know a lot about cars and with all due respect would never recommend voluntarily removing the radiator fan without there being a very good reason to do so. I don't come on here acting like I know everything but I do know a tremendous amount about cars and already addressed the fact there were two fans in a previous post in this exact same thread. I didn't mean to jump down your throat but I too get sick of EVO owners who are total narcissistic self absorbed know-it-alls.

Quick Reply: Can anyone name this PLUG??