Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why do people want to buy unmodified evo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Why do people want to buy unmodified evo?

Sorry if i sound like an idiot but I'm 16 and an evo fanatic. I'm really keen to learn all there is about cars and evo's in particular.

Is it because they think they get abused in drag racing? However what if they are modded but used in everyday driving?

Also would the value of stock (unmodded car) be less or more compared to a modded (even the slightest). Sorry if it doesn't make sense. Im trying to learn here.

Also why are some people uninterested to buy a modded evo? It has upgrades (well depends what mods it has)

Thanks for your time! Im in Australia BTW

Last edited by Pokiedots; Dec 30, 2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 05:38 AM

If you do some reasearch on evom you will find a lot of good info per your request.
I bought my second evo with a blown engine and a good bit of mods. Got it for a good deal but I had to spend a lot of time and money to get it back on the road and reliable.
If ya bought a unmolested stock evo with low miles, you have a better chance of it lasting and you can modify correctly from the start. Just my .02c
Old Dec 30, 2013, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
A lot of times it is because of piece of mind knowing that if it is not modded it was not abused. That is not true 99% of the time because many just abuse the hell out of the car then put it back to stock and say they never modded it or raced it.
I bought two evos that were "stock". First one had a built motor(not properly), second one I just found out has ARP headstuds....
Old Dec 30, 2013, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mods don't equal a higher value. This is why many people do part outs.

For example if you had 2 identical Evo 9 rs's for sale with 10k miles a piece. One fully built and ready to race with brand new parts etc. the other bone stock.

The bone stock could brings 35k-40k. It's unmolested, has seen anything over stock power and will only rise in value being stock.

The modified one may bring 30-35k. There might be 20k in parts but first of all 90% of the people looking for an Evo do not want a heavily modified one. Second of all there is a question of reliability. If someone is looking for such a low mile car it will be driven once a week or less in most cases. Built motors need to have full warm ups and cool downs to keep everything lubricated as well.

I bought my car completely and while it was high miles at 80k I am at 110k now on the stock motor still. These past 30k miles have lived at 420+hp and 400tq. Built motors just simply do not last that long.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 05:52 AM

@ CNC_OUTLAW

Do you mind if you could suggest some keywords for finding thread regarding stock vs modded. I can't find it.

Any thoughts on this Evo 9 for $75,000?

Link:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

Last edited by Pokiedots; Dec 30, 2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:03 AM

Thank you everyone's response!

Great appreciate it!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:07 AM

Me, personally would not buy a heavily modified Evo for a few reasons...

You probably don't know who or where the work was performed and can you trust they did the job correctly?

Are you at a level of experience that understands the modifications and the implications those mods have on your engine?

Generally more mods dont make the cars value increase, I think over the years too many people got burned financially on "fully built" cars and are now weary of the unknowns.

So in MOST (not all) cases an unmodified Evo or sport car in general is going to have had better treatment.

For someone of your age and maybe in experience I would find something on the stock side and as you buy parts and install and learn why and what they do so in the future you may feel more confident in purchasing something with heavy amounts of modifications. I started out with a 1992 Eagle Talon TSi when I was 16....I soon learned what timing belt was and what happens when it snaps...twice lol and how to change a turbo and forced induction in general. Sometimes getting your knuckles busted and spending alot of money on not always modifications just maintenence is something worth more.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Because the majority of modified Evos are hacked together pieces of crap with no logical sense or reason for the mod path taken or individual parts selected

There is nothing wrong with buying a modified car, just make sure you know who installed the mods, who tuned the car, and exactly what aftermarket modifications you're getting along with the current state of the vehicle. I bought my IX with a few basic bolt-ons but was OK with it since I had a long discussion with the previous owner, knew exactly what parts were installed and by who, and who tuned the car. The guy I then sold my IX to (43k miles later) was very satisfied since I gave him complete records, full mod-list, and all my various ECUFlash files with an explanation of exactly what each was, plus told him to read through all my threads just to make sure he was 100% clear on the history of the car.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 30, 2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Pokiedots
@ CNC_OUTLAW

Do you mind if you could suggest some keywords for finding thread regarding stock vs modded. I can't find it.

Any thoughts on this Evo 9 for $75,000?

Link:
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=3&sdmvc=1
75k?! I know the value changes based on where you are but there's no way in hell I'd pay 75k for an evo. That has bolt ons and ralliart parts and an fp green. You can find an evo like yhat stateside for btwn 17 and 22k why pay an extra 50k
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rjfg
75k?! I know the value changes based on where you are but there's no way in hell I'd pay 75k for an evo. That has bolt ons and ralliart parts and an fp green. You can find an evo like yhat stateside for btwn 17 and 22k why pay an extra 50k
Convert that to USD and it comes to just below $67k.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Convert that to USD and it comes to just below $67k.
Still considerably overpriced. That's more then the dealer was charging for the 9mr with 500 miles on the odometer
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, think about what you could do to a used EVO with 75k. That's insane. To each their own but no way for that kind of money.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrainwater
Wow, think about what you could do to a used EVO with 75k. That's insane. To each their own but no way for that kind of money.
It is over priced.

It's been up for months now.

The parts are rare though.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

True ralliart parts are rare but they are still mods and do not increase value like that
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

I was once a part of a situation that had many similiarities to the OP's question,
therefore I'll share since its a little humorous.

I once was seeing a girl who had children from a previous relationship.
After I told a good friend, he said he would never do that.
"Dating a girl with kids is like playing someone elses saved game on a video game, no one wants to play someone elses saved game." haha.

Bottom line: Some people like to start fresh so they know what they are getting into and have freedom to choose how they use the vehicle.
If you buy a modified car, you're basically forced into the direction of whatever the previous owner did. Say you buy a Evo w/ a 2.4LR built motor, but you want a build for drag, you're in a situation that limits your goals. You also dont know if it was well maintained.

Quick Reply: Why do people want to buy unmodified evo?