Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

intake manifold gaskets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
intake manifold gaskets

hey guys,

im looking to going with a curt brown ported manifold and was wondering if i should take this opportunity to invest into a thermal intake and throttle body gasket kit. and if so, which brand is most reputable to get this job done. is there any real proven benefits with using a thermal gasket or is it all for marketing purposes? thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My tuner/tech refused to put on a thermal intake gasket. He said that he had nothing but problems with leaks and other issues with the thermal gaskets. I trust his judgement and experience and just went with a stock gasket.

I still have the thermal gasket laying around unused.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
You hear good and bad

I have one on my car. No leaks from it in 100k miles

I've seen STM uses them in builds as well. It most certainly keeps the IM cooler to the touch what that means for power who the **** knows

Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I put on my thermal IM gasket when I replaced my IM with a ported unit. Did it do anything? Probably not...but it certainly keeps the IM temp cooler which may not equate to any power difference but it can't hurt. That was my mindset and since it cost about the same as a new OEM gasket I choose to go that route.

What I can tell you is that I've had it on my car for about a year now and mine does not leak. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the one from MAPerfromance have to modify the alternator bracket a little but if you decide to go with one make sure you block off the EGR port on the head
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:00 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Locdizzel
I went with the one from MAPerfromance have to modify the alternator bracket a little but if you decide to go with one make sure you block off the EGR port on the head
^^^This. I would do the EGR delete along with it also.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
thanks yeah, i actually already deleted the EGR value and all that shenanigans previously when i had the head built. just didn't have the funding for a ported TB and IM.

ideally speaking, i would require a retune after swapping over to this new setup correct?

and also, do i need to get extended bolts for the thermal gasket if i do choose to go that route? thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simply removing your egr system from the car is going to keep the intake manifold temps way lower then any "thermo" gaskets could ever do. I like the idea of these gaskets but have heard they do leak, sometimes. But then again so do stock ones every once in a while. I'm going to be swapping out to a ported intake manifold and a 65mm or 70mm throttle body after winter but I think I'm going to stick with stock gaskets because again removing the egr system is going to do way way more then a gasket could ever do.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You need to plug the EGR inside of the head to keep from melting the gasket, not just from removing the valve and putting a block off plate.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I know about that little hole inside the cylinder head, it needs to be plugged for a "true" egr delete. I saw a thread on here where a guy bought a small hex head plug and threaded that little hole in the head then screwed that into it to block it off. I wasn't aware that this had to be done in order to use a thermo gasket though. In fact I bet most people that use this thermo gasket are not plugging the egr hole in the head and are also not having any issues with it. I know for a fact that it doesn't come with any instructions saying that has to be done in order to use it too. I'm sure its a good idea, just not sure its necessary.

Last edited by jrainwater; Dec 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM.