Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Could my Walboro froze last night at -40 ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could my Walbro froze last night at -40 ?

Long story short , i bought my evo from a member here who lived in Maryland . I drove the car back to Quebec, Canada . That guy installed a Odyssey mini battery kit, along many other bolt-on , which was not a problem until temperature reaches -4 F and below . Below that , the car just don't start obviously . ( the car is fully bolt-on with cams , stock block and turbo )

So I installed a universal coolant heater this monday , and the thing do what it's supposed to do , and works well .

The problem is that we are currently under a cold spell around here and this morning, it was f**ckin -40 F without winds !!!

In order to help the car a bit , I unplugged the battery and kept it in the house with a charger on it . So this morning, the car was plugged, and the battery fully charge and warm. But holy **** , everything on the car was froze to death . I have a hard time just to pop the hood . Anyway , i put back the battery and just turn the key to ''on'' .

You know, THAT sound you hear just turning the key ... the whining sound of the pump . Well this morning there was nothing of that . Nothing at all , just a car that cranks with nothing happening .

I know that it's not a good idea to run an evo in such temperature but it was my last option as my wife car's did not start ( regular lancer 2012 with no heater -_- ) , neither my beater did ( old 2005 cobalt , plugged ! )

So keep in mind guys that when most of you find 0 F cold , in fact , it's a regular winter day here

Last edited by blacktab420; Jan 3, 2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
wow, -40 is pretty cold. it was 15 here today and i thought that was cold!

at those kind of temps, doesn't the oil even have some kind of negative effect?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

^^

I should also put an oil pan heater to warm up the oil .

I am running Mobil 1 0w40 in winter to help a bit .
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not cold related and the car loves the cold with the exception of the synchros. I would definitely suggest an oil pan pad, but it regularly hits -40 here too and the only issue I've been having with things freezing is the brake fluid which is why I'm switching to dot 5.1 this weekend. Just let the car warm up a few minutes at idle before you go driving it at those temps.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VWJETTY
wow, -40 is pretty cold. it was 15 here today and i thought that was cold!

at those kind of temps, doesn't the oil even have some kind of negative effect?
Damn. It was 46 deg F yesterday morning and I thought that was cold.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

You can also use an oil heater that goes in the oil dipstick tube and that will keep the oil "warmer" over night. No one has answered his question though. To the best of my knowledge gas doesn't freeze regardless of temp so I would think thus has nothing to do with the fuel pump but without seeing the car in person who knows. Through an oil heater on there for awhile then try firing it up again.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jason42003
It's not cold related and the car loves the cold with the exception of the synchros. I would definitely suggest an oil pan pad, but it regularly hits -40 here too and the only issue I've been having with things freezing is the brake fluid which is why I'm switching to dot 5.1 this weekend. Just let the car warm up a few minutes at idle before you go driving it at those temps.
Yeah , shift stick seemed to be glued , it barely moves .

It's often -25 here , but -40 is pretty rare , 1 or 2 times in a winter .

I expected some AK guys to show up in this thread :P
Old Jan 3, 2014, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jrainwater
You can also use an oil heater that goes in the oil dipstick tube and that will keep the oil "warmer" over night. No one has answered his question though. To the best of my knowledge gas doesn't freeze regardless of temp so I would think thus has nothing to do with the fuel pump but without seeing the car in person who knows. Through an oil heater on there for awhile then try firing it up again.
Yup it could do the job, but adding that to a coolant heater, and a battery blanket heater .... i will need a 3-way to plug everything :P But i think i will try the magnetic oil pan heater instead, it's around the same price .

And gaz doesn't freeze unless there is water in it , due to condensation or whatever, in my tank or at the gaz station . But I don't think it's the case .
Old Jan 3, 2014, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

I've never had to deal with those kinds of temps in Chicago. Although we do have a forecasted high of -5 on Monday. God I hate snow, I hate winter. But even my car parked in the garage doesn't exactly like this cold and you can tell. When I got a small battery I did the Odyssey 925 though instead of the 680. Which one do you have 925 or 680? Big difference in cold starting the car. You might wanna run some "heat" through a tank of gas too.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

I have the PC680 . Not sure if PC925 would clear the short route piping . I found that a Honda Fit and some old civic batteries would clear the piping , but i would need to modify the tray a bit . It may ends up in a new battery relocation to the trunk if I can't get rid of the cold problem. But that's not in the budget for now .

Last edited by blacktab420; Jan 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

ok to help answer your question,

clearly there is something wrong with the fuel pump. because A) gas don't freeze typically so when you're in the "on" position, the pump should at least crank. On top of that, it doesn't make sense that the car "likes" or "dislikes" the cold, that just doesn't make sense because your car doesn't have "feelings" haha so here's my conclusion.

your battery isn't providing enough juice in those colder temps. you definitely should start with getting some kind of battery blanket, or keep it charged, or something along those lines, especially if you have a mini-battery because they don't typical have enough cold-cranking amps.

this morning, from my previous post reply on this thread, it was 15 degrees here, and even in my daily beater jetta, it was a little hesitant to crank over due to the cold so i wouldn't be surprised at all if your battery is the culprit. usually in colder temps like this, i attach a battery charger to the mini-battery on my evo just to keep it "warm" so it doesn't die out completely. hope this helps.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

I was obviously speaking figuratively in regards to my car not liking the cold weather smart ***....lol. So yeah I have a small battery tray with the PC925 and it clears my JM Fab short route 3" uicp so that won't be an issue. In fact the battery is mounted long ways instead of side to side so there is a TON of space there to clear the piping. The difference in cold cranking amps is pretty huge between the 680 and 925 if memory serves me correctly. Let me find a link for Odyssey.

http://odysseybatteries.com/applications/auto.htm

There ya go it shows all the specs here. I use the FID small battery tray. Looks really good and allows for any size uicp.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=220688750671

It's $125, not too bad really.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

I was obviously speaking figuratively in regards to my car not liking the cold weather smart ***....lol. So yeah I have a small battery tray with the PC925 and it clears my JM Fab short route 3" uicp so that won't be an issue. In fact the battery is mounted long ways instead of side to side so there is a TON of space there to clear the piping. The difference in cold cranking amps is pretty huge between the 680 and 925 if memory serves me correctly. Let me find a link for Odyssey.

There ya go it shows all the specs here. I use the FID small battery tray. Looks really good and allows for any size uicp.

Nice , last owner of my car should have put this instead of the tiny PC680.

By a quick looking on the internet , the battery you linked + the tray would cost me around $400 shipped at my door . For the same price , i would rather put an Optima red top battery in the trunk ( relocation kit included )
Old Jan 3, 2014, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a small battery on my previous evo and I'll tell you, I am never going back no matter how much weight it saves. Temperatures here in VA don't go anywhere near the temp where you're at and my small battery would still give me trouble in cold weather. Anyways, good luck in getting everything sorted out.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

ima smartass what can i say but yeah, battery seems to be the culprit.

Quick Reply: Could my Walboro froze last night at -40 ?