Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

sharing my odd power steering pump pulley failure

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2014, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy sharing my odd power steering pump pulley failure

like the title says,

finally put the car back together, getting ready to sell it, turn it on and start tuning the idle/ start up, then i start hearing metal to metal contact. i got out once it idled, and noticed my power steering pump pulley was shaking like a cracked out bobble head doll. shut off the car and the pulley is seized against its own bracket. already buying another pump so im just sharing this, and also wondering if anyone has had this happen before... quite odd... and pretty depressing... lol here are some pics

Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

this happen to anyone else before?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that I've heard of. You can't just like bend that bracket a little bit?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

I'm getting unusual drag from my power steering lately, so much so its causing a slight idle dip when turning the steering wheel as I'm coasting to a stop. No noise though but you've given me something to take a look at when I get home tonight. Thanks. On a similar note is there an easy way to replace the PS fluid on the car. I was thinking of using two buckets. Have one bucket empty and one filled up with new clean PS fluid. Then put the return hose in the empty bucket and the feed hose in the bucket with new fluid in it. Then whatever fluid it spits out would be replaced with the exact amount of new fluid. Any better ideas of how to do this?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sheasta
Not that I've heard of. You can't just like bend that bracket a little bit?
nope no bending . plus if i did, i wouldnt be able to put the bolt back on that goes through it, somehow somewhere near the hub of the pulley got bent, and only about 4 inches of the pulley actually rubs... when i shut my car off it so happened to stop where it was wedged, i cant turn the pulley at all the way it is.

Originally Posted by jrainwater
I'm getting unusual drag from my power steering lately, so much so its causing a slight idle dip when turning the steering wheel as I'm coasting to a stop. No noise though but you've given me something to take a look at when I get home tonight. Thanks. On a similar note is there an easy way to replace the PS fluid on the car. I was thinking of using two buckets. Have one bucket empty and one filled up with new clean PS fluid. Then put the return hose in the empty bucket and the feed hose in the bucket with new fluid in it. Then whatever fluid it spits out would be replaced with the exact amount of new fluid. Any better ideas of how to do this?
if you arent hearing like metal to metal then this is prob not your problem. you never know though! and to your question, i have no clue. i figured you can just drain it all, then start filling up the reservoir with ps fluid until the pump and all is full and you reach the "full" line in the reservoir cap?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

forgot to mention the pulley also shaved a good arch into the front case. still confused on what could have caused this... maybe some sort of bearing failure
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as draining/flushing the system, you can either get a turkey baster and suck out the fluid from the reservoir, top it off with fresh fluid, run the car for a second or two, shut it off, suck out the fluid again, top off and repeat a few times.

You can also drain it by removing one of the return lines if you don't want to suck it out of the reservoir. Make sure not to forget to remove and clean out the filter in the power steering reservoir.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 05:02 PM

I know u can bend the pulley, when u remove the trans without carefully supporting the engine, it will hit the frame rail and bend when the driverside of the engines dropped but idk know what u got goin on
Old Jan 6, 2014, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

we did recently swap the clutch, maybe thats what happened? we had a good engine brace cradle thing supporting the engine though... hmmm that definitely is a possibility
Old Jan 7, 2014, 05:00 PM

I bet thats what happened ive seen it happen multiple times