Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Traction in snow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction in snow

So I haven't had a chance to play around in the snow much as I have summer tires that are also worn so that's a horrible combo, my car drives fine in snow. It doesn't brake for **** lmao. Are Evos, given proper tires, as efficient in snow as people make them out to be or are they just passable. Is the traction good enough to where the snow doesn't bother/make you nervous?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

With blizzak snows on my 8 I could basically bang gears wide open in 3" of powder at will and it wasn't really that sketchy. Car still had a good degree of steering even in the worst conditions, and would outbrake anything I have ever driven in the snow. Simply put, with the right tires an evo should make you feel like you are driving a battle tank in the snow.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ricoswave
With blizzak snows on my 8 I could basically bang gears wide open in 3" of powder at will and it wasn't really that sketchy. Car still had a good degree of steering even in the worst conditions, and would outbrake anything I have ever driven in the snow. Simply put, with the right tires an evo should make you feel like you are driving a battle tank in the snow.
Didn't get to shaky or spin out? The braking felt strong?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 03:29 PM

My tires are Hankook I'Cept Evo. If your car has the ACD, snow mode makes a pretty substantial difference as well. It's quite difficult to lose control unless I try.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

I have an 05 with acd.. Funny how my acd works in winter but in summer all my lights are on, seems like my pump can't hold pressure so I actually have no idea if it's REALLY working in winter or not, but I'm still able to switch modes.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
I have an 05 with acd.. Funny how my acd works in winter but in summer all my lights are on, seems like my pump can't hold pressure so I actually have no idea if it's REALLY working in winter or not, but I'm still able to switch modes.
When it gets hot in the summer the fluid gets thinner, meaning it can't build as much pressure. In the winter it's cooler so it thickens creating more pressure.

Snow tires make a HUGE difference. I prefer driving the evo in the snow over any other car. Because good snow tires + huge brakes + awd. I'm not worried about myself, I'm mostly worried about other drivers on the road.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

It's fun. Continental dws tires. Amazing traction and with the rear diff mod even in snow mode it's tail happy. Power drifts are too easy.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'm currently wearing a set of Hankook IceBears. They're not even a dedicated snow tire and the performance has been wonderful. However, I used to have a set of all-seasons for winter driving and grip was horrible. With the right winter tires on an Evo you'll have plenty of traction and confidence to go anywhere. You'll do things you never thought you could in the snow.

I have dedicated summer tires for summer and dedicated winter tires for winter... life is wonderful.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
When it gets hot in the summer the fluid gets thinner, meaning it can't build as much pressure. In the winter it's cooler so it thickens creating more pressure.

Snow tires make a HUGE difference. I prefer driving the evo in the snow over any other car. Because good snow tires + huge brakes + awd. I'm not worried about myself, I'm mostly worried about other drivers on the road.
So that means my acd is functioning fine in the winter? I'm gonna grab a pair of dedicated snow tires to throw on my stockers and have a go. Another thing I'm really worried about(flame suit on for being a sissy) is rust from snow/ice and the salts they put on the road.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Viegasjuice
So that means my acd is functioning fine in the winter? I'm gonna grab a pair of dedicated snow tires to throw on my stockers and have a go. Another thing I'm really worried about(flame suit on for being a sissy) is rust from snow/ice and the salts they put on the road.
Yea your ACD works fine in the winter. I was worried about the rust from salt and all the treatments they use on the roads as well so I don't drive the evo in the winter. Snow tires are definitely worth it. I bought a set this season from tire rack for my lancer. I've been through one small storm and one major storm that dropped anywhere from 12-15 inches of snow and my lancer hasn't had any trouble getting through it all. Not to mention you can feel the grip and you know exactly where the car wants to go. I feel as if I'm in control at all time with my snow tires on. I decided not to spend full price for blizzaks so I got the general tire altimax arctic tires.

Last edited by 19DB794; Jan 5, 2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're worried about the elements (and I don't blame you). Jack the car up ever week or two and power wash the underside and wheel wells.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have all season tires on it now and the thing is a monster in the snow. This is my third winter driving it and it has never given me any issues. The only thing that scares me are other drivers, I have almost been hit twice this year so far. I will be throwing some winter tires on it next winter as well as summer tires in the spring time though.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 05:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Snow tires are critical for winter grip. The worst car I've ever driven in the snow was my 95 TSi AWD and it just so happens it was also the only car I never put snow tires on. Buy dedicated snows and don't look back.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be following all the advice. Dedicated winter tires and dedicated summer tires+ cleaning underside of car a couple time a month. Thanks guys
Old Jan 5, 2014, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
If you're worried about the elements (and I don't blame you). Jack the car up ever week or two and power wash the underside and wheel wells.
I use a garden sprinkler and pull it around under the car. OP its all in the tires, i have summer tires my car is almost useless. Wife has conti dws tires, her car is great in the snow.

Quick Reply: Traction in snow