Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Startup after 2 years not running

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Startup after 2 years not running

My 03 Evo hasn't ran in two years. It was taken apart to install a larger turbo setup, but due to personal issues, it was never completed, and I am currently returning it to (stock with minor bolt-ons). Are there any precautions I should take prior to turning the engine over?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:11 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
To start. Ide make sure the oil and filter are fresh. Check/change the spark plugs. Drain the tank and put some fresh gas, or maybe a fuel stabilizer. Pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine for a bit to get the oil circulating before starting it up for the first time.

All i can think of off the top of my head.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:38 AM

Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

I would be cautious and also change the transmission and transfer case fluids as well as the rear diff fluid. These fluids need to be replaced on a regular basis anyways for good maintenance of an Evo and right now would be a great time to start with all fresh and new fluids. Other then that I think biggiesacks covered it.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

yes do plugs. my friend didnt start his for over a year and a half and he drove and had bad misfiring. we found the 3rd plug blown out stripping the threads. so yeah change them it wasnt worth the trouble lol
Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:54 AM

Is it necessary to drain the fuel tank when there's less than a quarter tank? I was planning on adding 5 gals of fresh gas.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evodriver49
yes do plugs. my friend didnt start his for over a year and a half and he drove and had bad misfiring. we found the 3rd plug blown out stripping the threads. so yeah change them it wasnt worth the trouble lol
Stripped the threads for the plug in the head? If so yikes, that's a huge fear of mine, hence why I use a lot of antiseize with new plugs every time lol
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evo8_
Is it necessary to drain the fuel tank when there's less than a quarter tank? I was planning on adding 5 gals of fresh gas.
Absolutely! I consider fuel that's been sitting for 3 months old.

Definitely change the plugs, fluids, etc. I'd clean the injectors and check fuel pressure as an inexpensive precaution regardless of it sitting.

I'd log while it was at idle and if it looks good then take it on a cruise while logging. If everything checks out get it tuned (I'm assuming it needs a tune due to new turbo).
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Just run a hot wire to the fuel pump and then put the return line in a bucket. Pump all the old gas out, reconnect the return line and start with a fresh tank of gas. Sounds hard, its not.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I left a 1/3 tank of gas in mine for years and the tank rusted and clogged every pump filter I put in. I dropped the tank and put a 16gal cell in the trunk. Sitting gas turns into water causing this.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
I left a 1/3 tank of gas in mine for years and the tank rusted and clogged every pump filter I put in. I dropped the tank and put a 16gal cell in the trunk. Sitting gas turns into water causing this.
Yikes, was the car sitting outside for all that time I assume? Just wondering.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:18 AM

Hope that doesn't happen to me.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
sitting gas does not turn into water. It is the temperature change with the humidity that will cause condensation build up in the take which with enough accumulation with cause water to be in the tank.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by galantman03
sitting gas does not turn into water. It is the temperature change with the humidity that will cause condensation build up in the take which with enough accumulation with cause water to be in the tank.
You're right. I could see my gas tank rusting if it was sitting outside in the elements for 2 years. Fortunately that's not my case, it has been in an underground garage this whole time, but I am definitely going to drain it prior to starting it.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Timing belt should be examined and possibly replaced if it is dried and rotten, along with a new tensioner and water pump. Accessory belt as well.

Quick Reply: Startup after 2 years not running