Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Opinions on a used 9

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on a used 9

http://www.mybestauto.com/2005-Mitsu...9/Details.aspx

That is the car I'm looking at. Haven't gone to the lot yet because it's over an hour drive from my house, but I was hoping to get some opinions about the price. I know it'll be a little over priced because it's a used car lot, but it'll make life easier because I can trade my current car in instead of having to try and sell it privately because it's still under finance.

The main thing that worries me in the shear amount of people that have owned the car. If you look at the carfax (it's linked on that page) it has had 5 owners in total. Also it shows an accident in 2008, but the car dealer didn't have any info on that other than it was never issued a salvage title, and it passed PA inspection.

Would you guys think it's worth the trip to check out at least?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
It's an evo 8 not nine and I don't think it's overpriced.. As for the owners it's really hard to come across an evo these days that Hasent seen at least a minor accident or has had more than one one owner. To make a proper determination you must test drive it and check out the conditions of the body aswel (major accident are obvious to the naked eye). I'd say it's worth the trip if your in the market for an evo.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 08:47 AM

I'd say take a friend with you that has some insight on the Evo, to help you out. And if you can test drive it and/or take it to a shop that specializes in Evos somewhere nearby to check the critical components, go for it if you're really interested. I definitely understand being hesitant because of having 5 owners (who knows if they were all kids who thrashed it every single day or if it was actually taken care of) as well as it being in an accident in '08, find out as much as you can on that to see if it has compromised anything serious on the car that your friend/Evo shop can look into. Good luck with your search man!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:00 AM

Honestly, I don't think that is a fair price. For 5 owners and an accident you should be able to walk away with this car for at least 15-16,000. I got my Silver evo 8 05 GSR SSL package for 15k. It only had one previous owner and 60k miles on it. Granted the car got repossessed because the previous owner didn't make payments, it was still a steal. All im saying is don't rush it, a better opportunity might come by later on. I strongly disagree with the pricing on this car.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

well, with a documented accident on the carfax, that's definitely bargaining ammo in your favor, if it all checks out good and you really want it, I would keep throwing the accident in their face to get something knocked off the price, and tell em too that most people will shy away from a vehicle that's been previously wrecked, you definitely have the upper hand in talking down the price some
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased my evo with same amount of miles, but Evo 9 MR with some great mods for the same amount. Keep searching around and you'll find something better.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

definitely try to talk them down if you do want it

Last edited by 4bangn; Jan 11, 2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Justindexter
Honestly, I don't think that is a fair price. For 5 owners and an accident you should be able to walk away with this car for at least 15-16,000. I got my Silver evo 8 05 GSR SSL package for 15k. It only had one previous owner and 60k miles on it. Granted the car got repossessed because the previous owner didn't make payments, it was still a steal. All im saying is don't rush it, a better opportunity might come by later on. I strongly disagree with the pricing on this car.
I disagree, if a dealership prices a car specially like the evo they will very rarely move around with it. It's nt like a private sale where the seller needs it gone ASAP. They will just sit on it for as long as it takes because a seller ALWAYS comes around eventually. Not saying every time. But most dealers are like this. Just because you got your evo on a budget doesn't mean everyone else does. It also comes down to location and demand for the car in that area..
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

I guess as long as it's not a salvage title the damage done in the accident wasn't that major. It's interesting that it has had 5 owners already. That's almost one a year.

From the pictures it looks good, but as the posters above have stated I'd take a real good look at it and if you don't know the Evo take someone along who does so they can give you another opinion.

I would also try to bargain on the price also. Never pay what they are asking. The worst that can happen is that they say no to an offer.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
I disagree, if a dealership prices a car specially like the evo they will very rarely move around with it. It's nt like a private sale where the seller needs it gone ASAP. They will just sit on it for as long as it takes because a seller ALWAYS comes around eventually. Not saying every time. But most dealers are like this. Just because you got your evo on a budget doesn't mean everyone else does. It also comes down to location and demand for the car in that area..
Most dealerships price cars without knowing the actual value of one. The reason they are able to sit on a car for this price is because people buy on impulse. All i was doing was giving the OP some friendly advice to avoid his impulses and look around because he can find a better price almost anywhere. Plus this car is located in PA, I got mines in NY the price shouldn't be that high. From what the ad states, the car is bone stock, with a cloth interior, isnt an RS, has pretty high mileage and an insane amount of owners with an accident. NOT WORTH IT.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't always assume that, even though the employees at the dealer may not know much or anything about the car, they are going to "wheel and deal" to move product. Dealers know what the car is, they have the resources to educate themselves, so they are aware of what they've got. Make an offer, take it for a test drive, and even take it to a trusted shop for a once over. The number of owners should be irrelevant, these days, you'll be lucky to find an EVO that hasn't been tossed around a bit, in more ways than one. Take it or leave it, there will always be another one out there.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:32 PM

I paid that for a clean car fax 1 owner evo 9 but it had 20k more miles..
Old Jan 11, 2014, 01:41 PM

Long shot and sorry to threadjack. I'm currently saving up and would like to purchase an evo at the end of this year or early next year, I'm wondering what you guys would think is a good amount to put down?
I've never gone to a dealership for a car, I've only owned used cars that were under the 5k mark.
Looking for a 9 gsr
Is there anything specific that I should keep my eye on or things that would show they the car has lots of wear or been beat on?
Wouldn't want to get ripped off or buy a lemon.
Only Mitsubishi's I own right now are 2 Mirage's and they're nothing compared to an evo
Old Jan 11, 2014, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shade08
Long shot and sorry to threadjack. I'm currently saving up and would like to purchase an evo at the end of this year or early next year, I'm wondering what you guys would think is a good amount to put down?
I've never gone to a dealership for a car, I've only owned used cars that were under the 5k mark.
Looking for a 9 gsr
Is there anything specific that I should keep my eye on or things that would show they the car has lots of wear or been beat on?
Wouldn't want to get ripped off or buy a lemon.
Only Mitsubishi's I own right now are 2 Mirage's and they're nothing compared to an evo
Put down as much as you can afford. More down payment the less your monthly payments will be (I'm sure you know this lol). Plus depending on your credit history you'll also have a better shot at getting approved.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 03:21 PM

I would suggest to keep searching, since you can find a IX MR or almost the same price in good conditions

Quick Reply: Opinions on a used 9