Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

wobble at full boost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
^^ this would be awesome. maybe we can help more if you get this.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
found the culprit, got a chance to install the new motor mount and its gone, well kinda -- had a chance to drive a decent amount today, installed it and for the 3 to 4 pulls smooth as a baby's bottom

then on the way home i got it again, but then smooth again the next time i tried it

i think im looking at replacing the rest of the motor mounts -- the car has 155k on her so its just a good idea at this point, next ill shoot for the trans mount and the front mount

when i compared the two mounts ( when i had them out ) the OE rubber was tired and deformed, after 155k i dont think any of them own me a dime

felt a change instantly in the idle ( less vibration ) as well

ill report back again after the install of the front and the trans mounts
Kyle
Old Jan 27, 2014, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

2 out of 4 -- install oem transmission mount as well now

next will be the blox stop roller up front

2nd gear pulls are pretty clean

3rd gear pulls are 50/50 some times wobble sometimes not

4th gear seems to always wobble

every mount that has gone in has decreased the severity of the wobble,

ha kinda expensive but it needs to be done at 155k anyways

any thoughts on an axle possibly being the issue? ive replaced both front axles already - doubt a rear axle could cause a wobble -- maybe

ha wish diagnosing the exact problem would be easier
Old Jan 27, 2014, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Let's see what happens after you get the front mount on.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

tried the old axle and no change ordered the rear mount couple min ago
front mount should be here any day

so sick of this.... ill report back once the new mounts go in
Old Feb 3, 2014, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

blox mount for the front has arrived, couldn't believe the amount of play in the old one i took out and the size of the hole the bolt slides through, very possible this could fix my motor shifting -- now i probably jinxed it but ill report back tomorrow when i get to work if shes still wobbling on me or not
Old Feb 3, 2014, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Nice haha, get it in man and tell us how it feels. Remove the whole crossmember and then replace it. That makes life easier changing it out.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:32 PM

DUDE I am so glad you posted this. My car did this today in third gear. My first guess was a motor mount but I haven't checked. Is your car tuned? Mine is about to be and that could honestly make a difference in how the motor is smoothly (or not smoothly) accelerating. It seems like you've done way more trial and error that I could've guessed. But mine did it twice, which just made me nervous. I wanna hear more!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
Nice haha, get it in man and tell us how it feels. Remove the whole crossmember and then replace it. That makes life easier changing it out.

Its in, worked awesome, little bit more vibration at idle and when engaging 1st gear starting off but smooth as glass..... for about 2 - 3 days now i have the ever so slight wobble still present

as of now i have two stock new oem mounts -- tranny drivers side, passenger side motor mount and the front blox installed

I have ordered a new rear mount, and it should be here any day

im fixing my problem one by one -- every one that goes in makes it a step closer and much better

as a side note i couldnt believe the difference in the size of the hole from the stock front mount to the blox mount -- the bolt was just floating in the hole probably allowed a good inch inch and a half of movement

now the blox mount installed and everything nice and tight fitting, big big difference
Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Nice, it is good to hear you are getting close. i bet once the last one goes in, you will be set. i hope it solves the problem. i take it you like the blox front mount?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DiamondsR4_Evo
DUDE I am so glad you posted this. My car did this today in third gear. My first guess was a motor mount but I haven't checked. Is your car tuned? Mine is about to be and that could honestly make a difference in how the motor is smoothly (or not smoothly) accelerating. It seems like you've done way more trial and error that I could've guessed. But mine did it twice, which just made me nervous. I wanna hear more!

my car is not tuned,
ive got 155k on the car, all the rubber in the mounts are tired as ive been pulling them out and replacing them

rebuilt tranny by jacks transmissions 1000 miles ago
rebuilt t case by shep 50 k ago
new tires
two new front axles
( thought the wobble was all the above )
thank god the tranny needed the love anyhow, 5th gear was shot so were the bearings
thank god I run a tire shop
and the t case was built by the po

its been an expensive diagnosis process, the wobble started literally 2 days before i yanked the tranny out -- honestly thought it was the transmission telling me its done but again i had already bought the jacks package for the rebuild

didnt realize it was something else untill after the trans was back in with new clutch and i had driven it 500 miles ( being a good boy and breaking it in )

did a 3rd gear pull and wobble

as the mounts have gone in one by one -- shifting has been much easier less vibrations, and wow more power going to the ground ha i got sideways by accident the other day punching it in second

but ya after all the above, start with the mounts, i went with the two oem ones on the sides and the blox front and torque solutions for the rear
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
Nice, it is good to hear you are getting close. i bet once the last one goes in, you will be set. i hope it solves the problem. i take it you like the blox front mount?
yup went with your suggestion, it was a good one I like the product and the fitment, nice an easy install bolted right to the brace
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

This problem is not related to your worn engine mounts or any part of your suspension. I've personally experienced this in my car when I approach 22psi on 91 octane.

The fact that the problem occurs more often as you go up in gear should also indicate that it's a problem associated with load on the engine.

I can't tell you exactly what the solution for your problem is, but I would strongly advise getting a tune or at the very least checking your current one for any knock sensor activity. I didn't catch if you replaced the plugs, but also change the plug leads as part of your overall tune up as well.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MyronGainz
This problem is not related to your worn engine mounts or any part of your suspension. I've personally experienced this in my car when I approach 22psi on 91 octane.

The fact that the problem occurs more often as you go up in gear should also indicate that it's a problem associated with load on the engine.

I can't tell you exactly what the solution for your problem is, but I would strongly advise getting a tune or at the very least checking your current one for any knock sensor activity. I didn't catch if you replaced the plugs, but also change the plug leads as part of your overall tune up as well.

car has never had a tune and im running stock boost, looking at my boost gague when she pegs full throttle and spool never goes above 20 and settles down to 16-17 psi every time after initial spool in every gear

oh and im running 93 oct as well and the plugs are new
doesnt feel like knock, and the motor isnt pulling any timing from what i can feel, felt that in my 4g63 eclipse so know what that feels like

ive gone through the spark coils plugs and what not didnt fix anything

how did you get rid of your wobble? new tune? new plugs ?
Old Feb 9, 2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hitmachine101
car has never had a tune and im running stock boost, looking at my boost gague when she pegs full throttle and spool never goes above 20 and settles down to 16-17 psi every time after initial spool in every gear

how did you get rid of your wobble? new tune? new plugs ?
If the PSI is going down during full boast then that means there is a boost leak. I believe stock PSI is at 19 lbs. Since your car has been used a decent amount it might be time for some new clamps for your intercooler and piping. Those and the IC/Piping may need replacing. A tune is probably in order considering that it's good to retune these cars every 80k or so (depends on tune). Even a stock tune and a stock car will need a retune to run smoothly after that much use.

Quick Reply: wobble at full boost