Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

wobble at full boost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only one that's still trying to figure out what a wobble under boost is? Is it in the steering wheel the seat the shifter is it audible a vibration?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DiamondsR4_Evo
If the PSI is going down during full boast then that means there is a boost leak. I believe stock PSI is at 19 lbs. Since your car has been used a decent amount it might be time for some new clamps for your intercooler and piping. Those and the IC/Piping may need replacing. A tune is probably in order considering that it's good to retune these cars every 80k or so (depends on tune). Even a stock tune and a stock car will need a retune to run smoothly after that much use.

agreed -- a boost leak test is coming again here very shortly, was leaking last time around some clamps and the throttle body seals, ordering the seals now and ill tighten everything up for the time being

once everything is not leaking a tune will be looked into -- after 155k i agree, the motors compression and strength is not what it was when it was when it came off the assembly line
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Am I the only one that's still trying to figure out what a wobble under boost is? Is it in the steering wheel the seat the shifter is it audible a vibration?
it is a shake experienced through the entire car, feels like the drive shaft is shaking vigorously when under heavy load, it is not in the shifter, it is not in the steering wheel and not a wheel balance shake that would get when your 50 - 70 mph if your wheels were mis balanced, not even in the rear like coming from your butt

only get it when shes full tilt, smooth as glass otherwise
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

so the vendor i bought the rear mount from never sent it and gave me my money back yesterday sooooo i re ordered from another vendor hopefully seeing it friday or sat latest monday
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
When was the timing belt last done? Possibly have a balance shaft out of phase...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
When was the timing belt last done? Possibly have a balance shaft out of phase...
hmm now thats food for thought, previous owner did the timing belt and balance shaft belt very recently

when i put the car on the road initially for the first 2k miles it was not giving any of the symptoms that i have now

i would probably know if i spat that belt, like it would have gotten caught in my timing belt and id have all sorts of problems

guess after the new mount goes in, and all the boost leaks are gone ( doing throttle body shaft seals once i get them ) if i still have the issue,,, itll be time to take off the timing cover and see what things look like
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitmachine101
hmm now thats food for thought, previous owner did the timing belt and balance shaft belt very recently

when i put the car on the road initially for the first 2k miles it was not giving any of the symptoms that i have now

i would probably know if i spat that belt, like it would have gotten caught in my timing belt and id have all sorts of problems

guess after the new mount goes in, and all the boost leaks are gone ( doing throttle body shaft seals once i get them ) if i still have the issue,,, itll be time to take off the timing cover and see what things look like
at least you are eliminating all possible sources of the symptoms. let us know after the mount goes in.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

day off today so had a chance to get the ol girl the rack in my parents barn

took the axle back out again to install the new one so all set in that category

did a boost leak test again to see if i missed something, got it up to 30psi this time to make sure and just as i was rapping it up ( only thing i found was the throttle body seals at that point ),, i remembered an issue i had on my gsx a few years ago, so squarted the warm soapy water on the injectors where they slide into the throttle body and PRESTO big time leak on cylinder 2, im figuring the seal split or something with the amount of bubbles she was producing

all 4 were bubbling so time to find them on the internet -- anyone have a link for those? remember they werent the easiest thing to find for the gsx

dropped the psi down to 10 and still none of them were holding so heres one of the issues, or at the very least good maintance issue to take care of while im around the throttle body

got an email saying my mount has been shipped, looking forward to getting it soon
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:39 PM

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...ator_rings.htm

MD087060
Old Feb 14, 2014, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

thank you ordered
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
If it were the balance shaft it wouldn't change with load.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
OP: any updates?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
OP: any updates?
yup day off today and finally all my parts i ordered had arrived

installed the rear mount
installed the intake mani injector gaskets
and installed the throttle body shaft seal gaskets

took majority of 4 hrs but all in and done
did a boost leak test after i was all set she is sound no leaks anywhere

took a test drive and so far so good -- that being said i took the test drive on the back roads which are full of pot holes right now in rochester NY due to the nasty winter we ve had -- so to say that i was playing frogger with them kinda made diagnoising that vibration of mine a little hard

I ll report back in the next couple days when i finally have dry roads and a smooth highway to test it ( its going to rain till sunday )

things that i noticed and or have changed

car is much more responsive in boost or not -- smoother between shifts rpms dont just drop as fast now

throttle is a little stiffer since those seals are actually holding tight to the shaft

idle is actually fluctuating between 1150 and 950 -- right now -- im assuming thats the idle control sensor and me not installing it in the same spot as it came off on

my vacuum is reading 19-18 mercury, before it was a solid 16 at idle

shifts are smoother as well no more lock out in 2nd gear when i whine 1st up

in general the car is now pulling super hard, amazing what a few boost leaks will do

I will note that the boost gauge still pegs 20 psi and then settles down to 18-17-16 and then sometimes simply doesnt settle and stays right at 20psi

a guy noted in the thread earlier that those symptom are due to boost leak,,
well those are gone and still identical issues as before with boost leaks

EDIT -- after doing research that seems pretty normal so guess no need to worry about the taper into the higher rpms and the initial spool of 20psi

think im gonna check the turbo out - would a evo 9 turbo on the stock boost controler be sending the boost levels that height??? think the previous owner might of slapped a new turbo in it,, not sure if that was in list or not

anyways that's how things are panning out for now -- as per this car in general ill let things settle for a couple days and report back

Last edited by Hitmachine101; Feb 20, 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a bad set of front axle's causing this same issue. My buddy with an SRT4 also had the same problem. He spent a ton of money to fix it. He replaced the clutch and flywheel plus had the trans rebuilt. It ended up being an axle.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Male sure the front axle's shafts are all the way in. An axle with extra load on the CV will do this if it is not seated 100%. My buddy had a front axle cause the clutch to slip!

Quick Reply: wobble at full boost