Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

wobble at full boost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bhsj13
yes, try the fuel filter. well, since you will be in there why not get a walbro with the install kit. it will have a new filter for it. with a walbro you might run a little richer than before. but, i dont understand how your plugs would be white(lean looking) if you are on the factory tune. the stock tune is rather rich.
the base of the plug was black ( where the end of the treads are ) but the tip of the nod ( the opposite side from where the spark shoots between ) was slightly white, ive seen worse

overall the plug looked like a healthy burn but i know these plugs in theory, especially on a stock tune, should be all black with a rich burn so thus why im chasing this fuel pressure thing

as for the balance shafts -- id be getting the vibration all the way around,, half throttle full throttle and anywhere inbetween -- that shouldnt have any bearing on load or acceleration -- that would be a rpm thing from what another member mentioned half way through this thread

i think im ok in that category
Old Mar 7, 2014, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

back to basics,

this whole shake started right before i did the transmssion rebuild,

so the only thing i did before that was two axles

i still had one axle laying around ( the passenger side stock axle ) swapped that in and no change ( other then a click that began again -- at least it made me feel better that i replaced it and it fixed something haha )

so yanked that back out and put the new after market back in a few weeks ago

so out with the drivers -- i just ordered another one under war ill install it thursday of next week hopefully earlier

Also was boosting around a corner today going right and felt a vibration that i didnt when i went left -- i swear to god if this whole problem was this mother f*$#*ng axle i literally put in first to try to stop a click..... well heck at least ill have a good maintance list ha ha
Old Mar 10, 2014, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

culprit was the drivers front axle, ironically it was the first part in the entire process that i changed, next being the passenger axle and then the tranny went out for a rebuild

so ya BAD NEW PART

the axle for the past couple days deteriorated very quickly rearing its ugly head.... FINALLY

so went back to the place i bought it, warrteed it out and several pulls later seems like were all set, FAMOUS LAST WORDS

I ll report back in a week or two to confirm but ya praise god

just for kicks and giggles heres the list i changed

had a click down near the steering rack/ front axle area ( ended up actually being the bolt down brackets for the rack and pinion to the subframe )
both front axles installed
wobble commenced -- figured the tranny finally was self destructing so sent it out for a rebuild,,,, only had the car on the road in my possession for 2k miles (155k)

new clutch
yanked out act lightweight flywheel, in went a stock flywheel because of the damaged it caused the 5th gear the guys at jackstransmission yanked out for me
new oem throwout bearing

500 mile break in period nice and smooth no issues
start getting on her after that wobble still there

passenger side mount
checked all rims to make sure nothing was bent
new tires installed ( making sure belt didnt break on me and be causing these issues )
drivers side tranny mount
front blox mount
throttle body seals and injector seals to get rid of the last boost leaks
rear mount
old passenger side axle back in and out again to see if that was the problem
and finally today getting my warranteed drivers side axle in

ill keep the price list to myself otherwise id probably start crying
only thing that im ok with is that the investment in doing all this is good for the ol girl ha ha

again ill post back in a week or two, here s hoping everything is fixed
Old Mar 10, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

wow. good to hear. Its always a big relief to solve a tough problem.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
well at least you got other stuff done in the process. hopefully it stays good from now on.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 05:55 AM

Wow! Great thread and I'm glad you found out what the issue was. Send the axle manufacturer the bill for the diagnosis process! Crisis averted, glad you're wobble-less now!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

still driving fantastic no issues, def was the drivers front axle, oh and you ll get a kick out of this, the axle that failed,,, the seal seperating the axle grease from the joint and the shaft for the tranny failed and actually started pumping grease into the tranny,

just did a flush because i had a feeling seeing grease on that output shaft coming out of the tranny was a bad thing and sure as SH!* tranny fluid was contaminated so add another 50 bucks of fluid to the list and a clean bill of health for the bby evo

thanks again guys/gals for all the help and guidance -- boost on
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:23 AM

Nicely done. Most would have given up long ago. Maybe even just sold the dang car.

Good for you man.

Funny thing is - I've got the exact same issue on my FWD Sonata. Lowering it on coilovers caused the driver's side axle to be too long because the angle is now straighter than before. So anytime I corner that way, it wobbles coming out of the turn on power. Go the other way and it smooths out.

Gotta figure out a way to shorten it up so I can avoid this ANNOYING wobbling.