Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Thought my Evo was perfect, until....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought my Evo was perfect, until....

Last edited by DiamondsR4_Evo; Jun 16, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:02 PM

Private sale or Dealership/Used car dealer? If a private sale, does it say "car sold in current condition" or "as-is" on the bill of sale? Did you check the Carfax, or did he have one that was already printed out for you?

If he had one printed out and altered it you MAY be able to take him to court.

If a wreck isn't reported to the insurance company then there is a slim chance it would be recorded on a carfax report.

That said, if the dealer sold the car to you with some sort of 30 day temporary warranty, you'd have a chance to return the car.

"Buyer Beware" is for a reason. I'd say you are SOL on this one dude, sorry.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:05 PM

But I suppose the bill of sale is a contract that F**Ks you for good essentially.

Last edited by DiamondsR4_Evo; Jun 16, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
This is why I never looked at car titles lol it's so Easy to have a clean title and hide accidents. Meanwhile there's a rebuilt title evo that's super mint never in an accident but was a theft only and deemed salvage. Anyway if you bought it as is there's really not much you can do. I'd try to contact the seller and get some sort of compensation if he has a shred of morality left in him. Also think you can take pics? I'm wondering how pushed in it was since you say everything mocked up right to the naked eye...sorry you noticed this too late op.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:17 PM

I agree

Last edited by DiamondsR4_Evo; Jun 16, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondsR4_Evo
I've owned the car for 3 weeks. My question to you all is do I have any legal room here to go after the seller (private seller btw)? He lied about the car's condition and kept it's condition off the history. Can I technically DO anything?? The car's damage is not serious but I have to put it on a frame rack and buy a new bumper suport. But still...

Opinions? Please and thank you.
No. Unless otherwise stated most all private sales are final

Carfax only reports what they know. If the accident was fixed by a private party then there is an extremely high chance that private party isn't going to have reported the accident to insurance in the first place and no bodyshop will have been around to report it either

This is also why you should always have a pre-purchase inspection done on a car. Any competent inspector should have been able to see this from underneath the car

Afraid to say that you're SOL on this one. Good news, since you're in Seattle area you can check the regional section and come have dinner / drinks with us next weekend to ease your pain . If you're over 21 the first one is on me
Old Jan 14, 2014, 05:52 PM

If the bill of sale states that it never been to any accident and the frame is bent, then you have a good chance of fighting it. Its a breach of contract even though it was sold as-is. He/she hide that information from you and lied about accident-free.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is the big question...is he the only owner? If so then he knew about the supposed accident. If not and my guess he isnt, then how is he to know? Could say he put the bumper on, or he could be like you and paid someone else to put it on and they didnt say anything about the bracket-- When you buy a used car--just take it for what it is, all kinds of hidden issues can show up-- everything from what you are seeing to bad stereo wiring and just plain old rigged crap..
Walk away and count your blessings.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 04:09 PM

Im just going to fix it I suppose. Not worth a ton of trouble. Ordered a used bumper support and in a week and a half it will be on a frame rack. Thanks for your opinions and knowledge guys.