Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo vs gtr

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thestig0711
Quit trolling H. Go to bed
LOL.

Seriously though I could buy a used GTR now but:

1) Don't want a note
2) I wouldn't do much too it (bolt ons, wheels, suspension) but that is still about 15-20k in parts.
3) I can afford pretty much anything that happens with my Evo. If I blow a motor or ruin a transmission it would take me a while to fix on the GTR.

Financially not at a point in my life where i feel comfortable owning a supercar. Maybe after the kids go to university.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jan 21, 2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'am currently debating this as well. I have a fully built evo but had some bad luck recently as my 2nd built motor melted pistons again. I am trying to chase down the fuel issue, whether its the injectors or fuel pumps etc (first time i thought it was the alcohol injection kit i had so i removed it, which turns out it probably wasn't).

The reason I'am considering getting a GTR is for reliability since i am currently making 600whp, which on a GTR would be just basic bolt ons and tune. The one thing mentioned earlier that if a motor or transmission goes on the GTR, the cost would be a lot more than on the evo which is something I've been thinking about as well. As for performance, the GTR is very hard to beat.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

DO IT you won't be disappointed
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

For what some people have in their evos they could have bought a used gtr. This is a legit question. I've seen Evo guys selling their cars for c6 zo6's and yeah I would imagine some have made the transition to the gtr. I would be interested in a gtr if they didn't cost so much to maintain
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 744 Likes on 576 Posts
I think it kinda depends. Do you mod your car cause you want the performance or because you like to mod things?

Do you just want to drive around in something fast/awesome/exclusive, or are you going to Track/Drag/Autox it?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends on what you want to do with it. If you are driving around on the street doing street pulls and an occasional drag run, the GT-R is hands down better and a used one will cost a bit more than an Evo done well. If you want a track car, I'll take an Evo over a GT-R. It's FAR lighter, easy to make as much power as you need for road racing, and the consumables are drastically less expensive. Apply GT-R tax to things like massive Hoosiers and brakes and the cost to field one is bananas. I could afford one, but I would sacrifice track time to pay for it which isn't worth it imo.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

If I could get a GTR for 40s, bet your ***, Id sell the evo and get one haha.

BUT, they are no where near that price and dont seem to be anytime soon, unless it has damn near 100k miles on it, which I will avoid, cause a GTR with 100k miles is too risky for me. 99.9% of the owners bought them and DRIVE them, so Im good on a high mileage one, conisdering the price to maintain and mod them is just about ridiculous.

I used to always complain on what I thought was an "evo tax" coming from dsms. Well, now I am used to the higher cost of parts for evos compared to dsms, although the prices have come down. I really dont get the new "GTR tax" though haha. I mean a catback for like $2k!? A downpipe for the thing is like $1500.

Anyone ever check out Sheps trans rebuild cost on a GTR? Complain all you want on a stg 3 rebuild for an evo, stg 1 rebuild for a GTR is 3 times the cost lol.

Lets not kid ourselves though, if you have the dough to get a GTR, im sure you got the dough to mod one.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Don't know how true it is but I have heard that a factory gtr transmission is about $12-15 k , you could have your evo engine built and slap on a nice turbo setup for less.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

I would assume the gtr tranny is so pricy because from the factory they are designed to work with one car and one car only.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

I think its funny that Nissan built this car, they market this car as their supercar. "look what it can do on a track, its so fast, it handles etc, etc!!"

Then when something breaks and you try and get it covered under warranty, Nissan stands back and says, "um, youve been racing this, we cant cover anything" hahaha
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The majority of people that buy a GT-R from the dealership with warranty aren't going to track the car. They're probably going to throw some money at it and take it to shows. I really like the GT-R. I couldn't always say that. I didn't like it when it came out. But it's grown on me.

I wish people wouldn't compare them, though, especially the VIII and IX. You have a rally inspired car with a 20 year old engine design that doesn't even have cruise control versus a supercar packed with technology. They weren't meant to be in the same class. I would never have to put these 2 cars next to each other and choose.

And I know the OP is trolling for posts. Good luck!

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
I think its funny that Nissan built this car, they market this car as their supercar. "look what it can do on a track, its so fast, it handles etc, etc!!"

Then when something breaks and you try and get it covered under warranty, Nissan stands back and says, "um, youve been racing this, we cant cover anything" hahaha
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

I bought an 09 when they came out and kept it for the summer. I do miss the car, but I missed the Evo a lot more. I didn't like having a 100k car I didn't feel 'comfortable' putting on-track, nor did I like leaving out places, because ALWAYS people will try to screw with your stuff. The mod bug is a huge one too, my buddy detonated his tranny, and it was 20k after it was all said and done. I got out of mine for about what I had in it, and was glad I owned one, but wouldn't want it to be my only 'fun' car. That's why now I have an Evo RS, a 2009 CTS-V, and a M3. And, having these is less than the GTR. But, all that said, there are times I miss the car, it was a GREAT machine, and it truly turns heads no matter WHERE you are, although probably less now that their are more.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
I bought an 09 when they came out and kept it for the summer. I do miss the car, but I missed the Evo a lot more. I didn't like having a 100k car I didn't feel 'comfortable' putting on-track, nor did I like leaving out places, because ALWAYS people will try to screw with your stuff. The mod bug is a huge one too, my buddy detonated his tranny, and it was 20k after it was all said and done. I got out of mine for about what I had in it, and was glad I owned one, but wouldn't want it to be my only 'fun' car. That's why now I have an Evo RS, a 2009 CTS-V, and a M3. And, having these is less than the GTR. But, all that said, there are times I miss the car, it was a GREAT machine, and it truly turns heads no matter WHERE you are, although probably less now that their are more.
I know this is OT but you currently have a nice stable of cars there.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOMIZ
I couldn't part with my evo so i kept it and got a GTR
insurance isn't bad in fact its cheaper than my first evo (back in 03)
maintenance is over rated normal oil changes (no brad penn like i run in the evo)
18k tranny oil change not bad for the diy person.
Now the GTR TAX is crazy but if you are a shopper you will be fine.
the nice thing about the GTR is you don't have to go crazy to make it a beast.
lookup SBD700 ( low 10's for under 6k)

http://speed-by-design.myshopify.com...-power-package

I have over 12k in my evo (10.38)

if your not looking for a brand new GTR you can find used ones for around 50k and up.

i remember when the evo8 got to the states people compared the dsm's the same way
THIS ^^^^^^ HAHA leave it to a GTR owner to take the words out of my mouth, i was going to say the proper pregression should be DSM (GSX) then EVO then GTR, that way bt the time you reach the GTR level you have the understanding and respect. the DSM is to the EVO, what the EVO is to the GTR. although we are comparing apples to oranges..... but it is true the 4G63T is the BEST 4 cylinder ever
Old Jan 21, 2014, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

I have a magazine from Dsport I think it is, john Sheperd compares his 9 second evo vs his 9 second gtr and the price to build the evo was 48K vs the gtr's 94K. The evo is still a bargain! thats
46k in difference, but if you want a "super car" and comfort amenities go for the gtr.

Quick Reply: Evo vs gtr