Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo vs gtr

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To everyone saying "If they were $40k I'd buy one," have you considered that the cost to get it to go fast is the same price as the car? You're still paying $100k for a used, built, 900whp gtr. I could build a 900whp evo for half of that.. Hell I could build a new evo motor every year and it would STILL be cost effective...

To me it just doesn't make financial sense. If I made $250k / year and didn't give a shoot then yes, I would trade for a gtr. Otherwise, I'm sticking with EVO POWWEERRR
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If they sold on ebay for 40K I'd probably still lose from that @ hole, that one up me by 2 cents. Any GT-R owners care to share Gas Tax for a black edition?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tsidrift1
I think its funny that Nissan built this car, they market this car as their supercar. "look what it can do on a track, its so fast, it handles etc, etc!!"

Then when something breaks and you try and get it covered under warranty, Nissan stands back and says, "um, youve been racing this, we cant cover anything" hahaha
But contrary to belief, Nissan wasn't denying everyone's claims... there were a few transmission issues from people who were constantly launching their cars that got a lot of attention on car sites.

But let's be honest... the stuff wasn't breaking because the owners did a hard launch once upon a time. These were guys who were going to drag strips constantly, likely doing multiple passes back-to-back-to-back. That could happen to any AWD car. It would've been nice if Nissan covered them anyway, but I wouldn't say it's their fault. But they at least fixed it for later models, having re-programmed the 2009s onward then revising the launch control when they gave it 530 hp and could do sub-3.0 second 0-60 times but required a cool-down before launch mode could be re-activated.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by adriano_917
I have a magazine from Dsport I think it is, john Sheperd compares his 9 second evo vs his 9 second gtr and the price to build the evo was 48K vs the gtr's 94K. The evo is still a bargain! thats
46k in difference, but if you want a "super car" and comfort amenities go for the gtr.
shouldn't you have been working fool?

i've seen a GTR explode its transmission doing a burnout during the 2012 bahrain international drag race championship... first pass of the night... it was pretty epic actually... I honestly could buy one cash in hand... and anyone that knows me knows i don't care about the price of a mod...

my only reasoning for not buying one is that its 100k... for a car... back when i bought my eco i thought i would keep it stock... now its gutted and i'm about to put a cage in it... WTF would i pay 100k knowing eventually it has the same fate...
Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:08 PM

ive put alot of money and time into modding my evo, lots of track days..... still get smoked by newbie gtr drivers about 30% of the time, thats depressing. but i drove one, and it wasnt fun, felt to clinical...... but yeah id probly still buy one for 55k
Old Feb 4, 2014, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joseph143
shouldn't you have been working fool?

i've seen a GTR explode its transmission doing a burnout during the 2012 bahrain international drag race championship... first pass of the night... it was pretty epic actually... I honestly could buy one cash in hand... and anyone that knows me knows i don't care about the price of a mod...

my only reasoning for not buying one is that its 100k... for a car... back when i bought my eco i thought i would keep it stock... now its gutted and i'm about to put a cage in it... WTF would i pay 100k knowing eventually it has the same fate...
Yeah and evo's don't break
Old Feb 4, 2014, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOMIZ
Yeah and evo's don't break
Old Feb 4, 2014, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Nope. GTRs don't have enough junk in the trunk for me.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by tsidrift1
Anyone ever check out Sheps trans rebuild cost on a GTR? Complain all you want on a stg 3 rebuild for an evo, stg 1 rebuild for a GTR is 3 times the cost lol.

Lets not kid ourselves though, if you have the dough to get a GTR, im sure you got the dough to mod one.
Maybe it's different in the states.. but for most of the GTR owners up here... they'd be lucky if they can even afford the labor on a tranny rebuild... let alone the parts.

Now if you're easily making 6+ digits... then hey not really a problem, it's what that market gears more towards... but I've met too many people living way outside their means with a 60-100k+ car on only 40k a year.

I think of the GTR market much like the M3 market. Until it really gets some age on them... crowd will be limited because people will realize just how much it costs to own and operate one outside of DIY.

Amazing car.. but to me I think you get so much more fun out of a Truck + Toy Trailer + 20-40k vehicle + mods.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 01:46 PM

gtr it's step forward
Old Feb 9, 2014, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolvedAK
Maybe it's different in the states.. but for most of the GTR owners up here... they'd be lucky if they can even afford the labor on a tranny rebuild... let alone the parts.

Now if you're easily making 6+ digits... then hey not really a problem, it's what that market gears more towards... but I've met too many people living way outside their means with a 60-100k+ car on only 40k a year.

I think of the GTR market much like the M3 market. Until it really gets some age on them... crowd will be limited because people will realize just how much it costs to own and operate one outside of DIY.

Amazing car.. but to me I think you get so much more fun out of a Truck + Toy Trailer + 20-40k vehicle + mods.
Ya that's where Im at. For the price of a GTR I could build a really fun track car, get a badass diesel truck as a tow vehicle and an enclosed trailer. Way more fun.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

if they both cost the same, and mods cost the same, of course everyone would take the gtr. but it's not the same price. you can take the evo and modify it to make it equivalent to or better than a gtr, for less than the cost of a gtr. plus a gtr is automatic, (real) evo's are manual
Old Feb 9, 2014, 03:31 PM

If you have the stupid amount of money, buy a GTR who cares. Evos are amazing machines all around
Old Feb 9, 2014, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shrtstuff89
if they both cost the same, and mods cost the same, of course everyone would take the gtr. but it's not the same price. you can take the evo and modify it to make it equivalent to or better than a gtr, for less than the cost of a gtr. plus a gtr is automatic, (real) evo's are manual

Honestly I would still go for the evo. GTRs are cool, don't get me wrong, I just honestly dont like them enough to own one.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 05:16 PM

GTR's are the soup de jour...with that kind of money get something more unique and head turning.

Quick Reply: Evo vs gtr