Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I think I might have a clutch problem could someone help please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I might have a clutch problem could someone help please

I'll start by saying I have a 2005 evolution 8 mr. I think it's my clutch that's going out but I'm not sure the clutch is pretty rough putting it into 2nd gear and it feels like it's slipping but just recently I was in 2nd gear and I was pressing the throttle but it wasn't responding it was jerking like if she was about to stall and even worse as I was getting on to a highway through the ramp and I'm in 4th gear and I go to give it some pushing the throttle almost all the way and she just turned off and on while driving could someone please help
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
motor definitely should not be shutting off? at worst case your RPM will climb way faster than your mph and you will know at that point your clutch is slipping but at this point from what you are describing, doesnt even sound like a clutch issue. have a local reputable shop take a look at it. way easier than figuring out a weird issue with your description meanwhile you could be making more damage than good.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:32 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
With the details you provided there are just too many things that could be going on to speculate on what it is. You need to have it looked at ASAP. I wouldnt drive it anymore either, have it towed to a shop.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Evorez. Welcome.

This is decidedly not your clutch slipping. It sounds like it's probably a boost leak, and that's what I would suggest checking for first. If you're unfamiliar with how to go about this process... there are how tos on this site, or I'd be happy to help you learn the process.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If youre idling and you press the clutch, does it want to die ?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:43 PM

Also, with the engine running and in neutral, step on the clutch then put it in first gear. With the clutch all the way in to the floor- is the car moving/crawling forward? Then something is amiss with the clutch.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by chamelieon
motor definitely should not be shutting off? at worst case your RPM will climb way faster than your mph and you will know at that point your clutch is slipping but at this point from what you are describing, doesnt even sound like a clutch issue. have a local reputable shop take a look at it. way easier than figuring out a weird issue with your description meanwhile you could be making more damage than good.
As soon as the turbo starts spooling it try's and dies on me it actually has died and started back up while moving
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by adriano_917
If youre idling and you press the clutch, does it want to die ?
s soon as the turbo starts spooling it try's and dies on me it actually has died and started back up while moving

Originally Posted by ProPilot04
Evorez. Welcome.

This is decidedly not your clutch slipping. It sounds like it's probably a boost leak, and that's what I would suggest checking for first. If you're unfamiliar with how to go about this process... there are how tos on this site, or I'd be happy to help you learn the process.
s soon as the turbo starts spooling it try's and dies on me it actually has died and started back up while moving

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
With the details you provided there are just too many things that could be going on to speculate on what it is. You need to have it looked at ASAP. I wouldnt drive it anymore either, have it towed to a shop.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:22 PM

Evorez. Welcome.

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2014, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Evorez.

You can multiquote messages fyi.

You need to do a boost leak test and report back. This will more than likely solve the problem.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 05:39 PM

Are you in Jacksonville, FL? If so shoot me a pm and I will help you take a look at it if you want.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 08:15 PM

Evorez.

You can multiquote messages fyi.

You need to do a boost leak test and report back. This will more than likely solve the problem.
Thanks lol still new to the forums appreciate it