Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Competition Clutch Issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks to hear McSlides. I wish that manufacturers actually made quality clutches for this platform, and I'm not too sure why there are so many complications with the end users.

Perhaps that combination of youthful indiscretion, a complex install procedure, and a highly moddable platform are just too much to engineer around? But it's a shame that at 300whp people are seeing clutches fail.

Interestingly enough, when I changed out my stock clutch, another friend of mine stopped by to see how it looked. He had also been on the stock clutch for a LONG time, and was making similar power. He noted that my clutch had significantly more meat left on it than his. Just an observation really, but that always made me wonder about how the clutch holding is actually implemented.

All of this said, I'm not a puck clutch person, so I wouldn't offer a recommendation other than to go with a non-puck clutch. Sorry m8.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by McSlides
The OEM flywheel was re-cut, not resurfaced, which was fine. If there was an issue with the flywheel it would have caused a problem a lot sooner than 8 months later.
ive heard a few mixed results with redoing a stock flywheel, some say it work some say it doesnt.

ive got about 5k miles and 2-3 trackdays on my comp stage 2/exedy flywheel combo and ive been extremely happy with it. easier to drive than the stock clutch. when my stock clutch came out the flywheel was in rough shape but the disc had a lot of meat left, yet it was driving like ****. wouldnt have replaced it if i hadnt had to do the trans tho i suppose.

english racing worked closely with comp on the latest evo clutches and i know they use a lot of them and there are a lot of happy customers, but of course that doesnt mean there cant be isolated issues...it will be interesting to see if you find anything physically wrong.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've have comp stage 3.5 w/ findanza flywheel about a year now, 8k miles & about 4 launches no issues. Just my flywheel causing knock...