Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Spooling characteristics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new actuator would probably need some kind of adjustment, I dont think it would be ready to go as it was shipped...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

I just adjusted the wasteland lets see if anything has changed
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Bazing! Took thenpin out of the wastegate and found that with the wastegate attached the flapper still wasnt closed all the waym gave it half a turn and reconnected it and bam shes running like a champ. Thanks for the help!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So did you have same BOV in conjunction with both turbos? I really dont think that it is BOV related. I still think the issue is insufficient actuator spring pressure. But, until we nail down the problem we cant rule possible causes out.

Did you turn your MBC out to its lowest setting so that we can get a read on your actual spring pressure?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Please do as I requested and back the adjustment knob on your MBC all the way out(-) counterclockwise to full soft and do the WOT run. This will give us a read on actual spring pressure. Once we establish the current level of actual spring pressure, this will serve as a baseline.

From that point, we can subsequently go on to adjust(increase) spring pressure incrementally to a point just below your peak boost level. Our aim being to keep the flapper valve from lifting until the last possible moment. This will improve spool significantly which is what you want....right?

Last edited by sparky; Jan 23, 2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

I ended up fixing the problem by tightening the wastegage half a turn it turned out it was not closing all the way causing the spooling issues.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

You did the right thing by shortening the actuator rod's length. But 1/2 a turn ain't enough.

Last edited by sparky; Jan 24, 2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rjfg
I ended up fixing the problem by tightening the wastegage half a turn it turned out it was not closing all the way causing the spooling issues.
You may, or may not realize that your turbo can be made to spool considerably quicker and therefore reach your targeted peak boost level way earlier if you increase spring pressure by adjusting the actuator rod's overall length even shorter. A half turn is insignificant given the actuator's range of adjustability. So you just scratched the surface.

As a general rule of thumb, in order to obtain optimal spool on an MBC controlled, internally gated setup, adjust WG spring pressure to a level 2-3# below the peak boost setting targeted on your MBC.

Last edited by sparky; Jan 24, 2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
You may, or may not realize that your turbo can be made to spool considerably quicker and therefore reach your targeted peak boost level way earlier if you increase spring pressure by adjusting the actuator rod's overall length even shorter. A half turn is insignificant given the actuator's range of adjustability. So you just scratched the surface.

As a general rule of thumb, in order to obtain optimal spool on an MBC controlled, internally gated setup, adjust WG spring pressure to a level 2-3# below the peak boost setting targeted on your MBC.
I'll probably go back then the car is currently only set to 20lbs of boost so another half turn should be perfect. I had it turned one complete rotation however I needed to fight a little to get the wastegate rod onto the flappers so I backed it off a bit. I will go back today and make sure it is on their at its maximum.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

If you want I will tell you how to do it right now since you apparently on line.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Haha well pm me the info
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Ok
Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I also have a IX turbo that I converted to a 20g and I use an 17 psi wga with it. I also took the wga arm and slid it over the flapper then slid it back off. Turned it 2.5 times and then pulled like a mother trucker to get it on. All the research I did said 3 turns but that was too much. With 3 turns and 2 ppl pulling on it I couldn't get it back on the flapper but at 2.5 and a lot of yanking it went on lol. I can hold 30 psi all day long with it set up this way. If all you did was just turned it to where it slides right on then turned it 1/2 a turn to the best of my knowledge and research that isn't even close to enough preload at all.