Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Spooling characteristics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spooling characteristics

So I just installed a Evo ix 20g with the 10.5 Hotwire in conjunction with a 4in thick Buschur intercooler. However my turbo is spooling insanely late and I'm trying to get some opinions on what the expected spool should be in this instance. The car is as till using a stock exhaust manifold but in not spooling till 4k rpm and im barely reaching full boost by 7k rpm. I am running another boost leak test but prior to that it was still spooling like crap.
Opinions please
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Who rebuilt the turbo and was it balanced on a balancing machine after it was assembled? If the air intake is taken off does the compressor wheel spin freely by hand? If you spin it it should keep spinning on it own for a little while, like 5 seconds or more. If it stops spinning right away then it could be seriously out of balance or the shaft nut was tightened too much bending the shaft which would cause all your issues too. Just throwing some stuff out there.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

The wheel spins just as much as the oem viii turbo did on my car prior to this one. Thanks for the heads up tho!!! It's ideas like that that I'm searching for.

Originally Posted by jrainwater
Who rebuilt the turbo and was it balanced on a balancing machine after it was assembled? If the air intake is taken off does the compressor wheel spin freely by hand? If you spin it it should keep spinning on it own for a little while, like 5 seconds or more. If it stops spinning right away then it could be seriously out of balance or the shaft nut was tightened too much bending the shaft which would cause all your issues too. Just throwing some stuff out there.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rjfg
....Opinions please
You know what they say about opinions. JeJeJe
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

How are you going about controlling boost on your setup anyhow? Is the turbo fitted with a stock, MHI, IX WGA?

Last edited by sparky; Jan 23, 2014 at 07:56 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:53 AM

What kind of boost controller/bov/WGA are you using?

Im gonna say boost leak test as you may have some leakes some where, or if your holding boost then your wastegate actuator needs adjusting.

goodluck
Old Jan 23, 2014, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Evo ix 20g
There is no such thing. :}
Did you really boost test it to hold a bit over your target pressure for at least 10 seconds?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
There is no such thing. :}
Did you really boost test it to hold a bit over your target pressure for at least 10 seconds?
What do you mean theres no suxh thing? Theres multiple threads on here and links to the the upgrade itself.
Also yes I did a real boost leak test this isnt my first turbo car so I built a boost keak tester and ran it to the intake tube and pumped compressed air ibto it for a period of time to check for gaps and then let off the air and youll hear it
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
waste gates not adjusted. tighten it down.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What do you mean theres no suxh thing? Theres multiple threads on here and links to the the upgrade itself.
Also yes I did a real boost leak test this isnt my first turbo car so I built a boost keak tester and ran it to the intake tube and pumped compressed air ibto it for a period of time to check for gaps and then let off the air and youll hear it
What I meant is there is no IX turbo with 20G cartridge from the factory. The way you put it sounds like a OE turbo and it is not. :}
And also from your first post it looks like you have a giant leak in the system.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
What I meant is there is no IX turbo with 20G cartridge from the factory. The way you put it sounds like a OE turbo and it is not. :}
And also from your first post it looks like you have a giant leak in the system.
Haha oh alright I'm was like whaaaaaaa

And in response to the others it's a factory wastegate with a Buschur mbc and Tial bov
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

I am running a tial q bov that is set up to vta. I was using the 10psi spring and it didn't hold for sh*t so I switched to the 11psi spring and it was a little better. I finally tracked down an old school 50mm 12 psi spring and it works great now. Not sure why my vaccum is so damn high but whatever works is good with me.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm. Do you have a factory DV handy that you can install for comparison's sake. I don't trust VTA's. At any rate, if you don't have a factory DV, you could block it off the BOV to see if that helps rate of spool.

Does having a 12# spring in the BOV mean that the valve is lifting and releasing manifold boost pressure at the spring's rating of 12# ?

Last edited by sparky; Jan 23, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

At any rate, since you are using a MBC I want you to back the controller's adjustment knob all the way out counterclockwise to its lowest setting(-). Do a WOT run in 4th gear and see what peakboost is.

I agree with meckert that you need to adjust the actuator tighter or maybe even mod actuator rod length. I just think that in addition to inadequate spring pressure, that VTA BOV with the 12# spring may also be contributing to your lethargic spool.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
At any rate, since you are using a MBC I want you to back the controller's adjustment knob all the way out counterclockwise to its lowest setting(-). Do a WOT run in 4th gear and see what peakboost is.

I agree with meckert that you need to adjust the actuator tighter or maybe even mod actuator rod length. I just think that in addition to inadequate spring pressure, that VTA BOV with the 12# spring may also be contributing to your lethargic spool.
My thing is that when I had the stock Evo 8 turbo on it was doing the same issue. And when I installed the new turbo I installed the wastegate that was included with the new turbo so unless both actuators would incorrect... Hmm I will check it.

Quick Reply: Spooling characteristics