Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Getting ready to upgrade! Power/Parts Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting ready to upgrade! Power/Parts Questions

Hello EvoM,

I know there is 1,000's of post asking what power you will get and it varies on the car/tune/parts but I am curious with my current setup and goal of around 400whp is it possible.

Car: 2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 8 RS

Parts I am looking at buying:
GSC S2 Cams (274/274)
GSC Beehive Springs w/ Titanium Retainers
FIC BlueMAX Low-Z 1450cc Injectors
ARP Headstuds
OEM Headgasket
Buschur Race Core FMIC

Current parts on stock motor (122k miles)
Injen Upper and Lower Intercooler piping
Stock 9 MR BOV (Or Greddy Type-S)
Walbro 255
Stock 8 Turbo (Have a stock 9 turbo also, plan on putting it on when I order my parts and they arrive.)
JMFab o2 housing w/ external dump
TBE Exhaust

Should I be worried about adding parts due to milage on motor? It runs great but I want some more power! Would you suggest other parts instead? I am looking at 400whp now but maybe once my car comes back to the states I will go for more power. Right now I am trying to build a car I can take to the Nurburgring and maybe the drag strip. Thanks for any information and help!

Last edited by whotippedmycow; Jan 24, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as it pains me to say it you won't get 400 with those mods on an 8 unless you run E85 with those. The reason it pains me is I'm not a fan of E85. I know it makes a good hit but I'm just not sold on it and where I'm at it is near impossible to get.

You would be around 350 or so on pump for a wag.

As for the mileage I have 113k on mine and a few more mods than you are going to have and mine has zero issues. I can't see you having any problems as long as you engine has been taken care of.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cal City Evo
As much as it pains me to say it you won't get 400 with those mods on an 8 unless you run E85 with those. The reason it pains me is I'm not a fan of E85. I know it makes a good hit but I'm just not sold on it and where I'm at it is near impossible to get.

As for the mileage I have 113k on mine and a few more mods than you are going to have and mine has zero issues. I can't see you having any problems as long as you engine has been taken care of.
Not quite what I wanted to hear but its the truth Still will be fun. Not gonna run E85 over here in Germany as its hard to find.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm going to have to agree. I think on pump you will fall short of your goal, maybe 350-370 WHP. Those gsc s2's will help though, swapping to the 9 turbo will get you a little closer. You should pm Tom at tcompusa and get his thoughts , he could probably get you to your goal.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

If you are going to be running 93 octane or better you will do better than the 350 mark.

If you have never drove the car with that level of power it's a lot of fun. Mind you next to a 500 horse monster it's kind of tame but with those mods there are few production vehicles that keep up meaning at the 350+ range.

Mine is at 360 on cali 91 and it never fails to put a grin on my face!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
I'm going to have to agree. I think on pump you will fall short of your goal, maybe 350-370 WHP. Those gsc s2's will help though, swapping to the 9 turbo will get you a little closer. You should pm Tom at tcompusa and get his thoughts , he could probably get you to your goal.

Waiting on Tom to get back to me. Going through him for my Tune most likely and debating on him or STM for best deal on parts. Thanks for the information!

If you are going to be running 93 octane or better you will do better than the 350 mark.

If you have never drove the car with that level of power it's a lot of fun. Mind you next to a 500 horse monster it's kind of tame but with those mods there are few production vehicles that keep up meaning at the 350+ range.

Mine is at 360 on cali 91 and it never fails to put a grin on my face!
We have 93 Octane here in Germany. My friend tuned it up a little for me and its already more fun but 350-370 still will make me happy. At the end of the day I want it to be better than my boss's 2013 STI (stock w/ exhaust) and my other boss who has a 2007 Porsche 911(350HP NA)
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Stock VS stock you should be able to keep up with an STI. With the mods you will show him taillights all day long.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Stock VS stock you should be able to keep up with an STI. With the mods you will show him taillights all day long.
My boss doesn't consider drag racing "Racing". So I have to post a better time around the nurburgring.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by whotippedmycow
My boss doesn't consider drag racing "Racing". So I have to post a better time around the nurburgring.
Don't worry about that either, stock for stock the evo's a better handling car then the STI. It might come down to the driver.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

I feel like my car has some handling issues. I drove around the ring with him and his STI felt good but he has better tires then I have to.